Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Size and Format etc

Ausphotography Veteran martycon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Size and Format etc

If I wish to post an image in portrait orientation, how can I do so, that it may be viewed in entirety without scrolling?
    And also, how can I abort or delete the entire post when the edit post screen is still available. I deleted everything and saved the changes, but then it was too short to be accepted.
    And also, flowing from the above, why do many of my images appear so much brighter after posting? They never look duller, so how can I avoid this? Any hints.
    regards marty.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    the result depends on the size of the viewers screen. It is not dependent on what size you load it at. If you load a photo that is 1200 pixels high, but the screen it is being viewed on is 1000 pixels high, they will have to scroll. There is no way around this. BUT the viewer can adjust their screen using Ctrl - (minus) to reduce the screen image, till it fits. Ctrl + enlarges it (zooms in), and Ctrl 0 resets it. I can easily see 1200 pixel high images on my desktop editing computer, but my laptop is 1366 x 768, so any image higher than 768 will need scrolling. Actually it is less than that in reality cause the browser and task bar use some some of those 768 pixels.

Members cannot delete posts, only edit. if you want something deleted, use the report icon (small triangle with exclamation mark - it appears on every post and even on comp entries). Posts have to be a minimum of 5 characters, so if you edit, you remove a post, you can even just write 'post edited' or 'post deleted'. Members can edit their posts for 60 minutes after posting, and you can edit the thread title (if you started the thread) within 5 minutes of first posting the thread.

Re brightness, we do not run any software algorithms over members photos, they appear as uploaded. What can happen is that our perception changes based on the surrounding background. EG if we used a bright white background on AP, your images would look different to when you viewed them with the dark grey background we do use. It is how the human eye/brain works. Also check what colourspace you are using for your image. The web is designed to work primarily in sRGB, if you use a different colourspace, that can affect the way your photo is displayed. But from a site point of view, we make zero changes to the images members upload. Except if someone uploads a comp entry with EXIF, we strip the EXIF for anonymity of comp entries.
    Last edited by ricktas; 08-08-2016 at 6:00am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crikey Rick, you are on the ball. I am amazed that I have never discovered screen zoom, ctrl+ or- before, I am probably unique. I am sure you are right about brightness being a thing perceived. Your suggested "post deleted", and all text deleted solution was just too simple for my brain to consider. A friend once commented to my wife that 'If there is a hard way to do something, Martin will find it". Rick thank you for your patience and tolerance.