User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  9

Thread: RAW Files Won't Open

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RAW Files Won't Open

I went out earlier and took some photos of the new car using a Canon EOS 40D, shooting in RAW, got home, went to open the images using PhotoShop CS2 and got a notification that the RAW images couldn't be opened, so I thought OK perhaps the software is too old for the camera, so tried to open the images using the latest download of GIMP and still no luck.

Any suggestions in how to deal with this would be great.

On a side note, f!@# it's hard to photograph a splotlessly clean black car, haha, having a lot of hassles.

- - - Updated - - -

Plus, I can't even open the images using the Pixelr software on the forum, could it be the Canon EOS 40D images/software/files?
    Canon EOS 40D - Canon EF-S17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM - Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM - Canon Speedlite 430EX III - Canon BG-E2 Battery Grip

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The 40D came out after CS2. Adobe do not offer support for forever, generally they update version for a year or two and then stop. So any cameras that are released after a version stops receiving updates, that camera's raw files will generally not open in that version.

You can get round it by using something like Adobe DNG converter to convert your files from Canon Raw to Adobe Raw.. or get a newer version of PS.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    The 40D came out after CS2. Adobe do not offer support for forever, generally they update version for a year or two and then stop. So any cameras that are released after a version stops receiving updates, that camera's raw files will generally not open in that version.

You can get round it by using something like Adobe DNG converter to convert your files from Canon Raw to Adobe Raw.. or get a newer version of PS.
    Cheers, I'll check out DNG then.

Thing is, I couldn't even open the files up on GIMP or the editing software here on the forum either, also I could open all images on my last notebook which was only around 12 months old too.

- - - Updated - - -

Still won't open the files... sigh... I give up tonight =(

- - - Updated - - -

OK, so now it will open the files using DNG... Hmmm... OK, should all be fine now, should be.

Thanks RockTas.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You need to get a more up to date camera.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    You need to get a more up to date camera.
    Funny you say that, I just got off the Ted's Cameras website, haha.

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously thinking about selling off the Canon 40D and accessories now and going something more modern, any suggestions? Nothing overly stupidly priced though, haha.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    what lenses do you have? Cause that can narrow down what camera we recommend. Do you want to stick to Canon?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    what lenses do you have? Cause that can narrow down what camera we recommend. Do you want to stick to Canon?
    Yeah id like to stick with Canon as its what I'm used to & find the actual body & settings easy to use.

Price range, hmmm… $600/700 perhaps.

Lenses I have are a Canon 50mm, Canon 17-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm.

- - - Updated - - -

But also, I keep asking myself, do I need a new camera/body? I'm obviously not using it 24/7 & don't want to throw cash at something that in a few years time I'll need to update as well, like most things, I'm a bit lost or undecided about this.

- - - Updated - - -

But also, I keep asking myself, do I need a new camera/body? I'm obviously not using it 24/7 & don't want to throw cash at something that in a few years time I'll need to update as well, like most things, I'm a bit lost or undecided about this.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then I ask myself again, is it even worth getting a new camera or body when I can't get the results I'm after now with the camera I have.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can certainly do better than the 40D. I've had the 60D for nearly 6 years now and it's still going strong. So while it's not a new camera it may be within your price range.
    Also consider if you can get an even newer release camera second hand.
    The 60D is a step up from the 49D ... https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/36821507
    personally I don't get how people can use only one dial for f/# and EV
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to be a PITA but could I get replies in this post please? Save everything being all over the place, multiple posts, threads, plus I've explained myself a lot more I think in this thread, cheers.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...on-DSLR-Advice

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For basic RAW processing use Canon's own DPP (Digital Photo Professional) software a much underrated software package. You can download the latest DPP from Canon's website.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    For basic RAW processing use Canon's own DPP (Digital Photo Professional) software a much underrated software package. You can download the latest DPP from Canon's website.
    Will do, cheers phild!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can download and use UFRAW. It is free and is the RAW converter for GIMP