User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Resizing images for Ausphotography forum/comps

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Resizing images for Ausphotography forum/comps

Since upgrading to LR6 and a new laptop to boot I am finding that images that are pin sharp on LR become fuzzy when I export at the required Ausphotography specs of max 1200pixels and max 400KB. I shoot in raw and when I export into a JPEG without size restrictions it comes out exactly the same - pin sharp. But when I export at the reduced size for Ausphotography its terrible. Any suggestions?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    it will be a setting in the export fields. Generally there is an option on how it is resizes. One of those is 'bicubic sharpen'. try that. Sorry, I dont export in LR to JPG, I export the full size file into PS and then resize it in PS. But I am guessing here that LR would use a similar resizing engine to PS.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget to choose "sharpen for screen" when you export. Into PS, resize and then sharpen using Nik output sharpening allows more control, but LR should do a fine job for an Aus photo comp. if not try the PS route.
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Helen, try a fraction more sharpening after resizing (but I suspect it's not quite that simply). Use the Test Zone to try different things .... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...-The-Test-Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    ..... Into PS, resize and then sharpen using Nik output sharpening allows more control,
    Can you explain the Nik output settings you use after re-sizing?
    I often use Nik for sharpening before resize and then just use unsharp mask in PS to sharpen a fraction after resizing.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I now have PS thanks to the new AdobeCC but have yet to learn it. Always have used LR and yes I do sharpen for screen on export. I will try the suggestions given though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first loaded up images I found out as well that I needed to sharpen the downsized image to display it similarly to how I see it full size. The program I use has a scale of sharpening up to 6 & I normally sharpen it at 5 (which doesn't look over-sharpened) to get the desired appearance, so don't be too conservative in sharpening the downsized image, but I guess don't over-do it either.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 12 (& Olympus Workspace).

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I tried Mark's suggestion and surprise it worked! Not that Mark's suggestion was a surprise. On the contrary it was very common sense and by far the easiest to try. I uploaded the JPEG back into LR and resharpened before exporting again. What I did find though after numerous tries was that I didn't need to sharpen it much at all. Only moved the slider to 8 which in LR is very miniscule but it was enough to get it pretty much like my full sized JPEG. So thanks for all the feedback

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Can you explain the Nik output settings you use after re-sizing?
    I often use Nik for sharpening before resize and then just use unsharp mask in PS to sharpen a fraction after resizing.
    Generally I don't do any more than look for likely areas of over sharpening and adjust the amount slider accordingly. If there's lots of fine detail I might play with structure a little. I've not been using it that long so others may have more sophisticated routines; but KISS seems to work.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Found that exporting to Flikr and importing from there works the best - Thanks to mark L.
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates