Thread: slow software whats fast ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

slow software whats fast ?

Hi,
    I'm using Canon DPP software & its taking its time to process images

Is LR or Capture 1 good for cropping raw quickly ?

like a couple of seconds

Dust delete data also takes forever

any suggestions about good quality fast software ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dawg, could we please ask what your PC specs are? And what camera you're using? I ask because I had to upgrade PC when I upgraded my camera from D90 to D800. Then I kept using the same software with no issue.
    https://www.instagram.com/piczzilla

D800 || Sigma Macro 105mm f2.8 || Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 || Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 || various trinkets

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi piczilla
    apsc dslr raw canon (CR2) 35mb ish size
    i7 cpu
    socket 1150
    16gb ram

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going by system specs .. it seems that if you're having speed issues, then your storage space is the limiting factor!

I've used DPP on some (freely) downloadable crw files, and it didn't seem that slow.
    And my PC specs are less than 1/4 of what you're displaying.
    very old AMD955, 8G DDR2, etc, etc.

What's your storage specs?
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's actually somewhat similar to my specs:

File size 40-45 MB
    Core: i7 3.20 GHz
    RAM: 16 GB
    Gaming GPU

It takes 3-4 seconds to load a RAW image, and possibly the same amount of time to export an edited image. Can I ask about your storage capacity and if you run any other heavy apps while editing.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    What's your storage specs?
    system=SSD 500MB/s average but can do 800MB/s for a few secs.
    scratch disk=120gb 500MB/s SSD also burst speed over 800MB/s

Quote Originally Posted by piczzilla View Post
    Hi Dawg, could we please ask what your PC specs are?

It takes 3-4 seconds to load a RAW image, and possibly the same amount of time to export an edited image. Can I ask about your storage capacity and if you run any other heavy apps while editing.

i7
    socket 1151
    16gb ram
    ssd 500+MB/s see next qoute
    CPU load tested at 100% for 16:9 crop RAW 35-40Mb but still too slow for my liking

full priority given to the system for processing, nothing else clogging up the system

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Using a 6 year old laptop and the only really slow thing about DPP is "convert and save", so I think the issue is not DPP.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    ..... so I think the issue is not DPP.
    Me thinks same too!
    My old PC is more like about 1/10th the speed specs of the OPs, and I didn't feel DPP was 'slow'.

As a point of reference too: I've used Lr4(and 5 in preview mode for a month), and I use Nikon's (supposed) slow software(ViewNX2, CaptureNX2 .. etc) .. and I've used(but haven't re-installed yet!) DPP.
    Of the lot, Lr was the slowest(always) no matter what you did, or try to do.

FSViewer is about the fastest viewing program, but it's a close tie with Nikon's ViewNX2(for me).
    ** note that many other folks complain that ViewNX2 is slow!! ** .. not on my slow 'ol PC

As already said, My PC is about 9 yo, and is a cheap AMD 955_X4. Runs 8G of slower(than today's faster standard) RAM, and many HDD's all mechanical .. and now all old(in terms of tech specs)

One HDD is for Windows and Software only! there may be a few hundred megabytes of some data on there too, but it's minimal.
    All data(important data) is saved to one of the other drives.
    All photos(for the current year) are saved onto another dedicated HDD.
    I have another dedicated HDD for cache only(and some other temp files I treat as cache files).
    I have another HDD which is really old now(250G, when it was new uber tech!) and I only store images of my Windows snapshots on it.

The PC does slow down on occasion tho, so it's not without it's issues. Firefox is the worst offender, and I've decided to trial Chrome for a bit.
    Actually, it wasn't by choice, as I have a new NAS that works better with Chrome, as opposed to FF.
    But! .. Chrome also suffers the same slowdowns I sometimes see in FF .. so I'm assuming the PC is the issue, not the software!
    I think I've turned off all the flotsam processes that really aren't needed running in the background.
    Mouse sometimes gets laggy, and keyboard does too(by a good few seconds!)

But, (and I've tried to test this many times) .. when the PC slows down(eg. FF or Chrome lagging madly .. almost unusable!) .. I open some of the above image related software that I still have installed, another one I use a bit too is Microsoft's Photo Gallery too.

They don't suffer the same slow down as FF or Chrome may have been.

What/Why/How/When .. I have no idea.

Haven't seen it for a few days now, maybe even a week, so it's very hard to track down.

But from my experience with DPP, I never found it to be lacking in speed, would rate it pretty much up there with FSViewer and VNX2, which is way above Lr and C1.
    Actually, I found C1 is the quickest to initially load the raw file thumbnail icons in large groups, but from that point onwards it didn't feel fast to me. Not as slow, but similar to Lr.

About the only (albeit useless) help I can offer is this:
    Maybe your PC specs have intimidated DPP into believing it's far less superior, and not worthy of gracing your machine .. and it therefore succumbs to the pressure!