User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nikon announce a 105mm f1.4E ED lens!

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not so sure about this lens. It sounds good and looks good on paper but........Price and feature wise, does it go far enough ahead of existing offerings to warrant it. Some reviews are starting to come in and it is good to get a seemingly unbiased review from someone who has used it.......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUHbSVaUO9o
    Nikon and Pentax user

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that info mongo. I was just starting to feel a bit GAS'y so that should settle me l hope Sharpness seemed to set it apart from the others, but it appears that that's about all More samples needed.

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like extra bit of sharpness from the new 105 (which can be seen in the samples he shows), I also would rather the slight shallower DOF offered and also the extra reach offered. It is looking like a close relationship of it and the legendary 200 f2 VR but in a smaller package.

The only questions I have about the video is that he lauds the 200 f2 VR but doesn't compare it to these lenses and using his test criteria I doubt he would see much of a difference using it either. In other words, he dismisses the "slight sharpness advnatage of the 105" as not being a real benefit, nor the slightly narrower DOF, all things that makes the 200 f2 VR such a legendary lens.
    Last edited by Lance B; 26-08-2016 at 10:00am.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    I like extra bit of sharpness from the new 105 (which can be seen in the samples he shows), I also would rather the slight shallower DOF offered and also the extra reach offered. It is looking like a close relationship of it and the legendary 200 f2 VR but in a smaller package.

The only questions I have about the video is that he lauds the 200 f2 VR but doesn't compare it to these lenses and using his test criteria I doubt he would see much of a difference using it either. In other words, he dismisses the "slight sharpness advnatage of the 105" as not being a real benefit, nor the slightly narrower DOF, all things that makes the 200 f2 VR such a legendary lens.
    I think this lens comes down to level of expectation. I think the average photographer will be happy with the 85 1.8 or 1.4 or even the 105 f2 but for those who seek the optimal output and flexibility, it's the ultimate. I think if you're not good enough to take advantage of the 105 1.4, or know how to use it, the 85 1.8 is probably more than enough lens for you.

Comparing it to the 200 f2 is a little pointless, largely because there are very few in the market for the 200 f2, and those who are, will probably be good enough to know whether it meets their requirement, or get access to a demo of it before purchasing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12