User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

View Poll Results: Should we make invisible entries on our competitions, the standard?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes- make all entries invisible till voting starts

17 65.38%
  • Gravy (don't care)

3 11.54%
  • No - I want to see entries as they are entered

3 11.54%
  • Sometimes - pick and choose and mix it up

3 11.54%

Thread: Competition Entries : Invisible Entries : Poll

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Competition Entries : Invisible Entries : Poll

Over the past few weeks we have run a trial of keeping all entries in the photo of the week competitions hidden, until the voting starts. So members are not able to see what others have entered at all.

Photo of the Week #527 which starts tonight will also have this feature turned on, and entries will not be visible.

Now it is time to have your say. Would you like this to become the standard for all competitions on Ausphotography into the future?
    This Poll is going to stay open until 7th August to allow members who have not experienced or seen the invisible entry component in action, to do so. This will mean the poll is open during the entire entry/voting phase of POTW #527.

Over to you!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YES. yes is too short.
    I have been taking photos for 50 years. I am now trying to get into Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh I was wondering why I couldn't see the entries I quite like being able to see what other people have entered so I can make a judgement about whether the image I am thinking of submitting is of an appropriate standard. Also I like to make sure my image is not too similar to one already submitted. However I can also see merits in keeping the entries hidden.
    Canon 5diii; Canon 7D; Canon 3.5 15-85mm IS USM; Canon 4-5.6 70-300mm IS USM; Canon 1.4 50mm , Canon Macro 100mm 2.8 L IS USM, Canon 35mm 1.4 L USM, Canon 24-105mm L IS USM, CPL and UV filters, manfrotto tripod and Lowepro backpack plus dreams for so much more!!

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktoopi View Post
    Ahh I was wondering why I couldn't see the entries I quite like being able to see what other people have entered so I can make a judgement about whether the image I am thinking of submitting is of an appropriate standard. Also I like to make sure my image is not too similar to one already submitted. However I can also see merits in keeping the entries hidden.
    This was discussed recently. In that people should enter, no matter what someone else has entered. And we have seen instances of entries that appear to have copied what someone else entered earlier in the week. If you enter something like the Moran Prize, or AIPP etc, you do not know what anyone else has entered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    This was discussed recently. In that people should enter, no matter what someone else has entered. And we have seen instances of entries that appear to have copied what someone else entered earlier in the week. If you enter something like the Moran Prize, or AIPP etc, you do not know what anyone else has entered.
    Very true Rick ..... I also agree with all the reasons for keeping them hidden I pop in and out of the forum so missed the conversation, it doesn't really bother me either way

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must say, I like to be able to look at other entries. Not to get ideas just as a type of reassurance that I am not going to embarrass myself by entering an entry that is not suitable or up to scratch.

However, I agree with the notion behind the recent change and ultimately think it is a good idea.
    Cheers
    Danny

D750 & D610

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At your local camera club, or your local Ag show or any other larger photo comp, do you get to see the other entrants before you submit your entry?

I'd consider going a step further here and not advertise the actual number of photos entered as the week goes by. 6 photos only, better enter something. 25 photos entered, I'll hold back as there must be some good ones in there, sort of thing.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you go to one of the AIPP critique sessions prior to the final entry date. Then you see plenty of people trying to eek out a few more points

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    6 photos only, better enter something. 25 photos entered, I'll hold back as there must be some good ones in there, sort of thing.
    You're looking at it the wrong way. 6 photos = not enough of a challenge for my photography. 25 photos = something really worth winning.
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    Unless you go to one of the AIPP critique sessions prior to the final entry date. Then you see plenty of people trying to eek out a few more points
    When I went to those they were the day before the judging and entrants could not resubmit etc.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I went to those they were the day before the judging and entrants could not resubmit etc.
    They had one here the weekend before last and the APPA entries close on the 11th Aug.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, a fairly clear cut decision by the 26 members who decided to vote -
    If at first you don't succeed, then Sky-diving is not for you....
    CC more than welcome..."I can't be offended", and feel free to post your ideas with an edit if ya have the time. Thanks......

Ausphotography Veteran tandeejay's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Well, a fairly clear cut decision by the 26 members who decided to vote -
    well, considering usually only 30-40 members vote... that is greater than 50% of those who care voted in this poll
    John Blackburn

"Life is like a camera! Focus on what is important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out take another shot."

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    for now we will continue to make all comps that start from this day forward, invisible entries. We may occasionally go back to having them visible just to mix it up, but most competitions will have all entries hidden until voting starts.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've changed the comp default settings
    @ricktas; Also image size limits defaults
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    POTY needs to be visible as all the entires are being shown for the 2nd time