Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  15

Thread: Restricting image size in Photoshop

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Restricting image size in Photoshop

I know I can do this in Lightroom but as I predominantly use photoshop was wondering if there is a way to restrict the size of an image. I want to resize a jpeg to 1900 on the longest size but keep the size under 1M. If I use resize for web I have to reduce the quality to around 55 to do this. There is lots of detail in the image. I have been told ideally I shouldn't reduce the quality under 80. So, can I restrict the size without reducing the quality?
    Glenda

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Restricting image size in Photoshop

I'd be interested to see the answer to this as the couple of times I've wanted to use PS I've had a similar issue. Also I found that even when adjusting quality it didn't achieve the new file size it said it was going to. IIRC I send "image size" under File (I think) and adjusted the dimensions. Then adjusted the file size itself elsewhere. I think "export" works better than resize for web.
    Last edited by Hamster; 12-07-2016 at 5:47pm.
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    depending on the file size of original.
    image>image size=1900 longest side
    File>save as
    choose your file name file name and> Save as type (jpeg)
    New box should open with jpeg option>image options ( make sure preview box is ticked )
    adjust quality to size you desire (1m or under)... is this what you was after?

edit... if your working in PS remember to merge all layers before saving as this reduces the overall file size , as depending on your editing the file can get rather large..
    Last edited by paulheath; 12-07-2016 at 6:26pm.
    long live

http://www.birdphotographyworkshops.com.au

Canon R7, and a lot of other bits and bobs

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In CS6 I have found the following to be useful in optimising the relationship between image size (e.g. 1920x1080) and File size (e.g. 158Kb).

File – Save for Web

The following screen should then display. Here you can choose the Preset in the drop down box and/or tweak the various setting and it will show the file size at bottom LHS. Note that this strips the EXIF data.

Cheers

Dennis
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member formerly known as : Lplates
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulheath View Post
    depending on the file size of original.
    image>image size=1900 longest side
    File>save as
    choose your file name file name and> Save as type (jpeg)
    New box should open with jpeg option>image options ( make sure preview box is ticked )
    adjust quality to size you desire (1m or under)... is this what you was after?

edit... if your working in PS remember to merge all layers before saving as this reduces the overall file size , as depending on your editing the file can get rather large..
    When I change the image size to 1900 longest size it goes from 41.4M to 6.89M. Then when I go file>save as and choose jpeg I get this screen with no further options

Screen Shot 2016-07-12 at 7.47.56 pm.png

- - - Updated - - -

"In CS6 I have found the following to be useful in optimising the relationship between image size (e.g. 1920x1080) and File size (e.g. 158Kb).

File – Save for Web

The following screen should then display. Here you can choose the Preset in the drop down box and/or tweak the various setting and it will show the file size at bottom LHS. Note that this strips the EXIF data."

Unfortunately doing this I have to drop the quality to 55 to get under 1M.

This is for a club photo comp - we have to resize to 1900 longest size and are able to submit files up to 1M. I was just hoping to avoid having to go under 80 quality.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have PS CC .... but still ok..did you actually press the save button? as thats when your options should appear
    Last edited by paulheath; 12-07-2016 at 9:09pm.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulheath View Post
    i have PS CC .... but still ok..did you actually press the save button? as thats when your options should appear
    Thanks Paul. I also have CC and actually use the 'save as' a lot when converting to jpeg (but not resizing) and have never noticed I had a slider to bring the size down. Certainly didn't have to bring it down as far as in the save for web option. Just tested both methods and in save for web I get down to medium quality to get it under 1M but in the method you described it remains high quality. Thanks for your help.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem mate, glad it worked out to your liking as you say ," save for web" really does reduce the quality.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do choose the Save for Web option, there is an Optimize to File Size option you can use to get the maximum quality for a given file size. Choose a file size about 10K under what you want though as it does occasionally go fractionally over the size you choose. Wouldn't want you to get disqualified on a technicality. See the the triangle just above the drop-down box you see in the attachment below.

SaveForWeb.jpg

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lplates View Post
    Thanks Paul. I also have CC and actually use the 'save as' a lot when converting to jpeg (but not resizing) and have never noticed I had a slider to bring the size down. Certainly didn't have to bring it down as far as in the save for web option. Just tested both methods and in save for web I get down to medium quality to get it under 1M but in the method you described it remains high quality. Thanks for your help.
    Have you got the latest Photoshop CC version? The latest version just came out a week or so ago and is Photoshop CC - 2015.5, the previous version was just 2015 (I think). In the previous version (2015), they changed the "Save as" function which didn't allow for lower file sizes using the slider and you had to use the "Save for Web" and use the slider function to lower the file size. Read my thread about it here:

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...-small-enough!

So, in the previous version of Photoshop CC (2015) to the current version (2015.5) Adobe, in their "wisdom" altered the "Save as" function and didn't allow for lower file sizes using the slider, you had to use the "Save for Web" function and use the slider to get lower file sizes. They have now reverted back to the old way and you can now use "Save as" function and use the slider to adjust the file size. Why they changed it in the first place I will never know, but I did kick up a stink about it on their forum and it seems as though they changed it back.

Check your Photoshop CC version:

1) If you have version 2015 then you need to go to "File" > "Export" > "Export as" > which then gives you dialogue/selection box where you choose jpeg file size and "Quality".

2) If you have a previous version to 2015 or the latest version 2015.5, then it is business as usual, go to "File" > "Save as" > which then gives you a dialogue box where you choose jpeg file size and "Quality", use the drop down box and adjust the slider to suit.

I hope that is clear?

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Warbler - will check that out.

Thanks Lance - I updated to the latest version recently. My biggest gripe is that every time I update all my external plug ins disappear and I have to reload them.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lplates View Post
    Thanks Warbler - will check that out.

Thanks Lance - I updated to the latest version recently. My biggest gripe is that every time I update all my external plug ins disappear and I have to reload them.
    I think they're trying to fix this with a cloud location for plugins or something. I need to look into it more myself, but it might be worth checking out.