Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: New Canon Speedlights.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Canon Speedlights.

I currently have 3 canon Speedlights using yongnuo flash triggers. I am considering moving to the new 600EX Speedlights with built in wireless control. Is anyone using them and do they perform as good as the claims.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am out at the moment Mike but will make a more detailed post when I get home.
    Yes, very happy with my 600's

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Mike,
    I have 2 x 600EX-RT Speedlights and the ST-E3-RT controller.
    You can control up to 5 different groups of flashes from the controller, in any of the operation modes, ETTL, Manual, HSS, etc etc

The only thing I was a little dismayed about is the inability to manual change the zoom level on the flash head from the controller.
    I have not had a failure/misfire at any time

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be tempted to look at the equivalent of the 600EX-RT in Yongnuo - they are getting very good reviews and you can buy a controller which is a copy of canon as well. Yongnuo also make a radio trigger for the speedlites that is controlled by the Yongnuo controller - effectively meaning you can still use your existing canon speedlites in the mix.

By memory I think the Yongnuo are around 30% of the price of canon - meaning you can buy 3 Yongnuo for the price of 1 Canon.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx Mark, good to hear. I am not sure if the manual change of the zoom would worry me but to be honest, I am not sure if I use this feature when off camera with light modifiers so definately not a show shopper.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Brian, I have defiantly considered the yongnuo kit and I current use the remote triggers along with the controller unit and I cannot fault them. There was something that put me off with the new Yongnuo flashs but I cannot remember what it was - I might give them a revisit tonight.

Thanx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2 of the Canon 600's and also 2 or 3 of the yongnuo 600's plus the yongnuo controller.

They all work quite well together.

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx Morgo - the Yongnuo stuff is pretty cheap. I may try the Ynuo kit first and see how it goes. My Canon 580 EX is great but I find the 430's just don't put out enough power for modifiers. The other issue I want to address is I currently use the Yongnuo YN-622C TTL triggers with the dedicated transmitter with LED - they are fantastic and work flawlessly, however, if you want to clamp the flash onto a softbox etc the alignment is well out of centre due to the extra height of the triggers. Not to mention this also requires another 6 + batteries depending on the setup.
    Be great to do away with using the trigger mountings along with having to carry them and batteries around.
    Last edited by mikew09; 28-07-2016 at 12:22pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to look at doing away triggers on the speedlights and looking for more power than a 430EX you need to look at the Yongnuo 685 series... built in receiver, GN60....

Example http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...speedlite.html

Sorry if above link is not allowed
    Last edited by JJM; 28-07-2016 at 1:54pm.
    Cheers
    Jeremy

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx JJM, I have been doing quite some investigations and although there was some initial teething problems with the Yongnuo 600 rt speed lites the reviews on them seem to now be sound. I am close to selling a couple of my other flashs and controllers and purchase 2 x yn600ex-rt flashes and a YN-E3-RT Transmitter (controller). If the two flashs hold up ok I will buy another. I will keep my Canon 580 EX II for the odd occasion I use on camera flash as that is one of the few things not rated so well with the yn600 flash, but according to reviews the off camera flash and control is very good. I can pretty myuch buy two yn flashes and the controller for almost half the price of the new Canon 600 rt. To be honest, I think Canon have gone a bit over board on prices lately if you look at the new Flash and 5D4 pricing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikew09 View Post
    To be honest, I think Canon have gone a bit overboard on prices lately if you look at the new Flash and 5D4 pricing.
    Couldn't agree more on the pricing. That said, I have 2 600EX-RT's and the Canon controller which I got relatively cheaply on Ebay. I am certain I don't use them a fraction as much as a pro might but they have been fantastic so far ; never not worked, easy to configure once you get the hang of it (plenty of Youtube/other sources). Wireless transmission vs older optical transmission is brilliant - no fiddling around trying to get line of sight or not working because of bright light outdoors... the only con, unfortunately, is the price

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, I hear you. I just spent a load of cash on a 70-200 2.8. Been saving for this lens for some time and just happened to come up on special at a price I couldn't refuse so to speak :-), so my flash purchase may go on hold for a bit and now canon are certainly out of my budget for a while.
    Thanx for the feedback - there is no denying the canon flashes are great. Mine are strong performers and robust as I drops the 580 of a stand once and it hit the pavement hard, the door burst open and the batteries spilled across the floor. 2 yrs later and it is still going strong touch wood.