Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: LCD glass replacement (top)

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LCD glass replacement (top)

Hi all, I have cracked the small top LCD glass on my 70D & although it is not effecting the LCD I am peeved that I did it & would like to replace it. Canon sent a quote of $440 which is mind blowing. I have ordered a replacement part on line & have seen a couple of video's to replace similar parts but not my situation. The $440 price tag has me now thinking there is more to it than meets the eye. Any advice would be appreciated.

thumbnail_IMG_1287.jpg
    Filter

EOS R & 16-35 f4 EF, 70-200 2.8 RF
    Olympus OMD-EM1 Mark II 7-14 12-40 40-150 Pro lens.
    EOS 7D Mark II - 70D - Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, 17 - 55 2.8 Lenses

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a look at a video and it seems to be the same approach as replacing screens on phones etc, heat and peel method. Seems easy enough, but beware of the LCD underneath it.
    If you are unsure, buy the parts and take them to the phone fixers in a mall somewhere.
    simple enough, but you have yourself to blame if something goes wrong.
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or you could shop around and get some other quotes.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes take it to a non canon repair centre. The doesn't sound right does it? A camera repair centre! that's better. Cheers Brian
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In fairness to Canon I should update this post. The $440 quote was based on incorrect data given by the phone operator to the tech's. the quote was for the LCD flip screen. The top glass replacement was $140 if it was just the glass, $170 if the top had to come off. Both jobs had me without a camera for two + weeks.

I purchased a part & took the camera to the local shopping center, no problem he said $10 to fit it. After 15 minutes I saw a very average job done, the glass did not fit well & it sat high with a visible gap to the LCD panel. Not happy now, the old one had a crack in it but it was still sealed.

I tracked down another replacement part, not on ebay but at http://myfriggincamera.com/ they assured me the parts were genuine. The glass (acrylic), double sided tape & postage was $40. I fitted the glass myself & the 70D looks like a new'n now very happy.