Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Forced to change Browzers

Ausphotography Regular Geoff Port's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forced to change Browzers

Unfortunately I have had to change browsers from Firefox to IE. I love Firefox. Over the past month or so I have been invaded by this dialog box that freezes Firefox and tells me to enter my email and password to be sent to Microsoft because my computer has been invaded by a virus that will steal all my details. I'm not fooled and regardless of very extensive and effective anti-virus, adware, spyware this virus keeps on coming. the only way I can temporarily get rid of it is to restart the laptop. Surprisingly this thing appears most when I'm logged on to Australian Photography forum. I haven't included a screen shot cos it won't let me and even if it would I'd be worried about spreading it.
    Has anyone else had a similar problem.
    Will be interesting to see if it revisits me in IE.
    Last edited by Geoff Port; 01-07-2016 at 8:28pm.
    Geoff Portbury owns,

EOS 60D and a couple of lenses.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    it sounds like one of the FF add-ons has been compromised, or you have browser hack. Start firefox without add-ons running and see what happens:

Got to HELP on the top menu of firefox, under help is an option to : Restart with add-ons disabled.

if that stops the message, then you need to work through your add-ons one by one till you find the culprit and then remove that add-on.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    G'day Geoff, I don't doubt what you've said "I'm not fooled and regardless of very extensive and effective anti-virus, adware, spyware this virus keeps on coming."
    Do you have this and if not give it a try. It's free so nothing to loose. Click on the red Free Edition thing middle top. .... http://www.superantispyware.com/
    Run a full scan as you enjoy a good nights sleep.
    Glad you're still around here Geoff.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Mark, no I haven't got that software but will give it a crack. I've followed Ricks suggestion and disabled add-on. seems to have worked but will hold an opinion for a week or so to prove the change. Thanks.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark, I've just downloaded the trial pro version of the Superantispyware software. 2886 problems found and an examination of the log revealed adware , spyware that none of my other programs picked up.
    Thanks, if it continues to run well for me I'll keep it.