Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  94
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Catherine Hill Bay Jetty and the Milky Way NIGHT Shoot

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice mock up Kev.

Would be a thrill for me to get anything remotely like that for real.
    I'll bookmark that coast watch link. A top idea.

After seeing your pic of a proposed location for the shoot, I am considering maybe doing a scouting trip there in the next couple of days.
    Although i often go to the beaches around that area and stay at the park nearby, I haven't actually been to the jetty since I was a teen. Will be nice to get a feel for the place and maybe checkout some angles for the shoot (and what tracks lead down to the beach). In the end I'm probably going to play it safe as well and find a spot around where you have suggested. I still baby my equipment and don't take many risks with it.

I did notice, while watching another blokes night shoots efforts, that he and the others at their shoot used 'Red Lights/torches' so as not to interfere with everyones long exposures. I had seen that some of the night sky software for my phone have a 'red lighting' setting and I now realise that it is so not to ruin each others shots.

Does anyone have a 'red light' torch?
    I guess I could use the phone app set to red to see my camera settings.

Fingers still crossed. All we are asking for is some clear skies. Not like we want the planets to align or something

Nikon D7200 (still dreaming of a D810)
    Nikkor AF-S 20mm f/1.8G ED
    Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM
    Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM (C)
    Panasonic HDC-HS900 35mm 3MOS 14.2 HD Camcorder.

Still in the Circle of Confusion
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi JD,

The only 'safe' way to get down on the beach is at the Surf Club, a couple of hundred metres away. And if you are thinking of doing the beach thing, better have a look at the tide charts for the day. From memory, the day I was there I got the impression that the tide came right up to the rocks below the shooting possie.

The red light torch is for not stuffing up your night vision like a white light does. When your eyes are exposed to white light it takes maybe 15 minutes to readjust your night vision. It probably wont be such a big deal for us as we will probably be looking at our cameras live view screens anyway. It's a big no-no at dark sky sites tho.

And while I think of it, if your camera doesn't have a viewfinder cover it is a good idea to have something handy to cover the viewfinder with to stop stray light from getting in. Your hankie will probably do the trick.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hope you guys have a great time... i would have come along , but alas ALL my camera gear has been " permanently borrowed by a stranger " so ill have to give it a miss. looking forward to seeing the results if all go ahead.
    long live

http://www.birdphotographyworkshops.com.au

Canon R7, and a lot of other bits and bobs

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulheath View Post
    hope you guys have a great time... i would have come along , but alas ALL my camera gear has been " permanently borrowed by a stranger " so ill have to give it a miss. looking forward to seeing the results if all go ahead.
    Ahh crap dude!
    Sorry to hear of your misfortune Paul.
    That could happen to any of us. I hope you can build a collection of equipment again soon.
    If you think that replacing the digital equipment might take some time, have you considered maybe grabbing some good quality film equipment?
    Second hand 'pre-digital' equipment is being almost given away. Not sure of the costs of film and processing, but the thought of trying the "Old Fashioned" stuff does appeal to me sometimes.
    Might be another way of getting back into the game?

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really sorry to hear that Paul.

We do have our fair share of 'A' holes in this country.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JDuding View Post
    Ahh crap dude!
    Sorry to hear of your misfortune Paul.
    That could happen to any of us. I hope you can build a collection of equipment again soon.
    If you think that replacing the digital equipment might take some time, have you considered maybe grabbing some good quality film equipment?
    Second hand 'pre-digital' equipment is being almost given away. Not sure of the costs of film and processing, but the thought of trying the "Old Fashioned" stuff does appeal to me sometimes.
    Might be another way of getting back into the game?
    JD, I can assure you that your enthusiasm for film will evaporate rapidly when you look at the cost per shot of your keepers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great instructions there. Thanks

I am now trying to work out how to go about the astrophotography process. Digital and Film - I'm using both. Oh, and if anyone is interested, I am prepared to bring a few film bodies for those who are interested - but bring your own film (I can supply Pentax / takumar lenses too for those interested).

- - - Updated - - -

Paul, I can bring some extra digital camera bodies to share if you like. I have plenty to share.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Paul, I'm terribly sorry to hear about that. Hope you can get something to shoot with soon. In the meantime, if you're thinking of attending this astro meetup (and if I can go), I have a D90 and either a 17-50mm or a 24-70mm I can share with you (I'd rather you bring your own memory card to make things easier). Though I don't have an extra tripod unfortunately. Or perhaps Mark has something better he can lend.

- - - Updated - - -

Windy? It was so windy here. (How windy was it?) It was SO windy, that out in the boat today with a mate fishing and the anchor was doing a better job as a sea bed plow than holding the boat in one spot. It was windy.
    Hey JD, saw a cafe staff chasing after their sign board in between cars
    Last edited by piczzilla; 13-07-2016 at 9:51pm.
    https://www.instagram.com/piczzilla

D800 || Sigma Macro 105mm f2.8 || Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 || Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 || various trinkets

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piczzilla View Post
    H...I have a D90 and either a 17-50mm or a 24-70mm I can share with you... ...Though I don't have an extra tripod unfortunately...
    I don't really have much to lend, but I DO have a spare tripod. I intended to take both anyway.
    Happy to offer if it will help out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I have a Pentax K5, K5iis, K3 and LX (film) to share. I will bring lenses suitable for the shoot so no trauma's there.

Yes, brining your own SD card and / or film of choice is a good idea. I have a decent tripod to share too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    Unfortunately due to the unpredictably of the weather it is almost impossible to nominate a date more than a day or two in advance, and then we have to do a last minute check with the cloud-spotters on the coast for a cloud free horizon.
    Hey Kev, thanks for the updates and the suggestions. I've never been to the area before, I might try to get there early on the day if I can, or I might drop you a PM if I get lost. But before that, I hope I can make it, my boss is having some medical procedures done next week (nothing serious), and I might have to stand in for him, let's see what happens.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piczzilla View Post
    Hey JD, saw a cafe staff chasing after their sign board in between cars
    I know businesses consider signage important, but is it really worth the safety of the staff?
    Lol... it was another windy one today and with the chill in the air it sorted out the men from the whimpering softies outside at the lunch table at work only three of us left outside while the others went and hid in the lunch room.

edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Aitkens View Post
    ...I have a decent tripod to share too...
    Ahh, well that's a word I can't put with my tripod offer "Decent". That's the reason I now have two.
    Last edited by JDuding; 13-07-2016 at 10:05pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a little excited a little while back and bought some nice gear from B&H (free shipping included). Couldn't resist
    "May the be with you"

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the generosity of you guys is bloody amazing.. ill also look into maybe renting some gear as well from my friends at camerahire in manly...seriously touched guys by your offers, this is what makes a great photography forum.....cheers all

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the generosity of you guys is bloody amazing.. ill also look into maybe renting some gear as well from my friends at camerahire in manly...seriously touched guys by your offers, this is what makes a great photography forum.....cheers all
    My thoughts too Paul. Makes you proud to be part of the forum.

If you decide to rent I'd suggest a full frame body for the wider FOV.

- - - Updated - - -

Ahh, well that's a word I can't put with my tripod offer "Decent". That's the reason I now have two.
    Know the feeling well. I had four but moved one on.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    , but alas ALL my camera gear has been " permanently borrowed by a stranger "
    shit,shit,shit.

If you get into Canon gear I have a Sigma 120-400 you can have at a bargain (just for you) price.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those who may be interested, and to check that I haven't got my calculations all wrong, these are the tools I've been using.

To check the phases of the moon ..... http://app.photoephemeris.com/?ll=-3...8800,-3.007300

And to check the stars and Milky Way rising ..... http://www.stellarium.org/

Please feel free to post any comments or suggestions.

Cheers

Kev

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI all,

I'd be keen to come along being I'm only on the other side of the lake.

Shame I only recently traded my 14 2.8 lens for my 5D3 due to not using it in nearly 2 years, I had it especially for astro
    Should be able to drum up something, maybe my fuji kit this time.

My only half decent results with astro was my first time at catho, it was a little further north of the jetty (a few hundred meters) a carpark on top of a hill. You can see the jetty etc looking south easily (not on the pic though)

This was one of the results with a 7d and tok 11-16

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgo View Post
    My only half decent results with astro was my first time at catho, it was a little further north of the jetty (a few hundred meters) a carpark on top of a hill. You can see the jetty etc looking south easily (not on the pic though)
    Is this insane shot supposed to be only half decent I'm officially worried about my astro future...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Its certainly my best but only half decent compared to what I see on the forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes lovely photo. If we can all get something like that then there will be smiles all round. Fingers crossed we can get together on a good night.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast