Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  94
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Catherine Hill Bay Jetty and the Milky Way NIGHT Shoot

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Aitkens View Post
    OK we got some photos. What a night and thanks to all - gr8t fun. Lets do it again.

Yes.
    A top evening.
    Was good to meet up and how well did things turn out. The cloud cover at sunset and clear skies for the night shoot.
    I was really impressed with the shots You and picz were able to grab and you both had an eye for seeing something special in things other might overlook. Very creative.

I was going to post some pics, but have just spent the last 40 mins trying to PP the first one LOL

I'll have to put aside the idea of posting something tonight and just study what I got so I can be prepared for the next shoot.
    I'm probably going tomorrow night if the weather looks good.
    With so little light pollution a great chance for some clear shots.

Fully enjoyed the time there and had it not started to freeze our finger tips off, I could have stayed all night
    Last edited by JDuding; 24-07-2016 at 11:53pm.

Nikon D7200 (still dreaming of a D810)
    Nikkor AF-S 20mm f/1.8G ED
    Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM
    Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM (C)
    Panasonic HDC-HS900 35mm 3MOS 14.2 HD Camcorder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a top evening - gloves recommended though, and a beanie. Brrrrrrrr

A shot taken with tungsten WB setting

_IMG0153 by Mark Aitkens, on Flickr

Post Processing only limited to some minor changes in JPG. I dare not touch the RAWs yet. I could spend hours playing there in PS
    "May the be with you"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a night and thanks to all - gr8t fun. Lets do it again.
    If I hang out with you any longer, I fear I'll be converted to Pentax But of course it's too much fun to resist.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JDuding View Post

Yes.
    A top evening.
    Was good to meet up and how well did things turn out. The cloud cover at sunset and clear skies for the night shoot.
    I was really impressed with the shots You and picz were able to grab and you both had an eye for seeing something special in things other might overlook. Very creative.

I was going to post some pics, but have just spent the last 40 mins trying to PP the first one LOL

I'll have to put aside the idea of posting something tonight and just study what I got so I can be prepared for the next shoot.
    I'm probably going tomorrow night if the weather looks good.
    With so little light pollution a great chance for some clear shots.

Fully enjoyed the time there and had it not started to freeze our finger tips off, I could have stayed all night
    JD why are you talking as if you didn't compose creative shots yourself. You should totally redo that moonrise shot with an actual moon (I actually might try tonight ) And we would be shooting nearly blind without all your fancy apps and gadgets.

I'm packing up to return to the area, and will be there tonight and tomorrow night - this time with full body armour (thicker jacket, beanie, gloves brrr)

Here's one from my camera roll - I'm probably doing a lot of things wrong in terms of astro photography, but am quite happy with my first try

Last edited by piczzilla; 25-07-2016 at 10:47am.
    https://www.instagram.com/piczzilla

D800 || Sigma Macro 105mm f2.8 || Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 || Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 || various trinkets

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piczzilla View Post
    ...Here's one from my camera roll - I'm probably doing a lot of things wrong in terms of astro photography, but am quite happy with my first try...
    Looking good to me. I love the colours you've managed to capture in that shot. And the focus.

After looking through my snaps, I am pleased with some of the results.
    It was a great opportunity there and even though there might be a bit of wind tonight, the rough surf warning means some interesting action for the foreground of the horizon shots.

Looking forward to heading there again tonight and this time taking the other lenses too. A few missed opportunities for me thinking I'd be right with just the prime.

everyone.

Still in the Circle of Confusion
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How's the hypothermia boys?

Well it looks like I missed an opportunity last night but in truth I don't handle the cold very well and would have had a severe case of the shivers.

@Mark.... Nice first attempt. You got some good detail in the Milky Way but at the expense of some star trailing. Star trailing gets worse the further they are away from the SCP. I like the shot looking North along the beach. It's a good reminder to always have a look to the East at sunset.
    Where was the second shot in your first post taken from?

@pz.... You also got some great detail and colour in the Milky Way. The WB looks a bit too green on my monitor but easily fixed in PP.

@JD.... Well c'mon, show us what you got.

I'm definitely on for tonight as low tide is 6.17pm and being down on the beach near the jetty should give some shelter from the Nor-westerly. The Bowlo only opens from 10am-1pm today so maybe meet at the Surf Club about 4.30pm?

Looking forward to meeting you guys. Oh, and a WARNING !!! This Astro thing can become seriously addictive.
    Last edited by Cage; 25-07-2016 at 1:12pm.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post

Well it looks like I missed an opportunity last night but in truth I don't handle the cold very well and would have had a severe case of the shivers.

@Mark.... Nice first attempt. You got some good detail in the Milky Way but at the expense of some star trailing. Star trailing gets worse the further they are away from the SCP. I like the shot looking North along the beach. It's a good reminder to always have a look to the East at sunset.
    Where was the second shot in your first post taken from?

@pz.... You also got some great detail and colour in the Milky Way. The WB looks a bit too green on my monitor but easily fixed in PP.

@JD.... Well c'mon, show us what you got.

I'm definitely on for tonight as low tide is 6.17pm and being down on the beach near the jetty should give some shelter from the Nor-westerly. The Bowlo only opens from 10am-1pm today so maybe meet at the Surf Club about 4.30pm?

Looking forward to meeting you guys. Oh, and a WARNING !!! This Astro thing can become seriously addictive.
    Thanks

The star trails are there on the periphery as the astrotracer function is not able to completely correct for this on an UWA lens, expecially when I am exposing for about 2 minutes. I can bump up ISO to 1600 to reduce exposure time but I will ultimately be limited by the f3.5 aperture setting on the Sigma 8-16mm. I have a 20mm f2.8 prime but I found that to not give enough FoV for scene observed last night. Need the Milky way to be less overhead and more over the wharf for that lens to offer opportunity.

With respect to UWA lenses I am looking at this one as a possible replacement to the Sigma

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news...ltra-wide-lens

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be using my Samyang 14mm f2.8 tonight (21mm FOV on the D7200) and hope it's wide enough for the main shot I have in mind, which is why I want to get down on the beach. I want the Jetty to share the limelight, or any light, with the Milky Way. I may have to do some light painting with a torch. The Tamron 15-30mm f2.8 is my next lens purchase, after I replace my now gone D800 with a D810.

Don't be afraid to bump the ISO. Have a look here ... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...Photography-PP at a shot I took at ISO4000 with the Nikon D800, a camera not renowned for it's high ISO performance. That was one of mt first attempts at night shots and the focus was not spot-on and I should have used 20secs instead of 30secs. I'm going to try a 'Dark' frame tonight, and blend it in DSS. Will just be using some black plastic over the lens.

This genre is all about test shots and trial and error, with the 'seeing' varying with time and location. Light pollution is our biggest challenge around large population centres.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...but I found that to not give enough FoV for scene observed last night. Need the Milky way to be less overhead and more over the wharf for that lens to offer opportunity...
    I was so impressed seeing what you could get with your equipment dude. So much want from me. Very much envy.

...@JD.... Well c'mon, show us what you got.

It will be the chill factor that curbs the addictiveness of Astro shooting

But I am willing to brave another attempt. See you there at the clubhouse

So, as per request...
    http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...25#post1370225

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry can't join everyone tonight. I might be able to come out tomorrow but will require a leave pass to do so.

@JD - you will need to upgrade to a Pentax K-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @pz.... You also got some great detail and colour in the Milky Way. The WB looks a bit too green on my monitor but easily fixed in PP. :th3
    Thanks Kev. I'll take care of that green when I get back to Sydney. See you this afternoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Kev. I'll take care of that green when I get back to Sydney. See you this afternoon.
    Hope you guys are enjoying the shooting stars

Speaking of green, I have posted some frog photos (piczilla and JD) as promised

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...80#post1370280

I can take people of froggy shoots when the time comes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another great night Mark, and thanks to JD's tips, focusing is now a breeze

I'll have a look at your froggy photos back in Sydney (my mobile data is rapidly depleting). Also, I might drop by the reptile park on my way home on Wed in hopes of shooting some frogs. Will hold you to your word on frogging expedition too

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry can't join everyone tonight. I might be able to come out tomorrow but will require a leave pass to do so.

@JD - you will need to upgrade to a Pentax K-1

Hey Mark. It was good to get to meet Kev tonight and I did mention to him your wiz bang Pentax and as many of it's bells and whistles that I could recall
    I probably will hold off on another trip for now. I need to take a bit of time studying and PP'ing what I have collected over the last couple of nights and work out what I want from the next shoot. I felt some of my shots tonight were better after having learnt from last night.

But with that said, if we get some interesting cloud cover, might be enough for me to make the run up there again.

Looking forward to a frog shoot. I have water proof hiking boots on the shopping list, will be a good reason to go out and buy a pair.

--------------------

Another top night. Mostly clear skys, but there was a bit of Smoke haze drifting out towards the horizon. Might have been a burn off somewhere in the Newie area today?
    Many ships parked off shore made getting wide clear shots a struggle and I noticed a few halos of light poking up from the edge of the horizon, so looks like more ships on the way.
    The surf was going off when we got there and even when it died down some, made for some nice misty shots from the long exposures.
    Finally the cold got to us all and we headed off.
    Everyone seemed pleased with their shoot and I'm sure there will be some more Catho Astro shots flooding the forum soon.

Thanks Kev for organising this.

And Picz, hope you have a good time tomorrow checking out the area around there. The whole water front there is amazing. Enjoy the reptile park and hope that they have some frogs
    Last edited by JDuding; 25-07-2016 at 10:40pm.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoyable night till the breeze freshened up.

Great to meet piczilla and JD.

The ships offshore waiting to get into the coal-loader threw out an unbelievable amount of light pollution and really lit up the haze.

Didn't come away with anything overly exciting but will do some serious PP on a couple and see what turns out.

Thanks for the company guys.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One for you Pz.

Cannibal Kermit lives in my yard and his diet seems to be mostly Perrin's Tree Frogs. He's a big fellow, over 10cm high sitting up, and I saw him on the front porch one night with just the back legs of his supper protruding from his mouth.

I also found the back end of another frog I think he'd snacked on, a pretty little thing with Black and Gold markings.

The well fed Cannibal Kermit.

Cannibal Kermit.jpg
    Last edited by Cage; 26-07-2016 at 2:59pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think my second try was infinitely better than my first. We had more planes passing through the first night, but way more ships sitting over the horizon on the second night. Not sure which is the luckier night

Had a great time with everyone, and Kev wasn't kidding about it being addictive - I can't stop looking at Samyang 10mm lens Hopefully the urge passes by before I commit any purchases....

So I posted one shot here, but I might hold off editing the others for awhile.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...8124-Milky-Way

Big thanks to Kev for organizing this, and everyone for the great company

Cannibal Kermit lives in my yard and his diet seems to be mostly Perrin's Tree Frogs. He's a big fellow, over 10cm high sitting up, and I saw him on the front porch one night with just the back legs of his supper protruding from his mouth.
    Definitely looks well fed Kev I've seen some of his kins in Reptile park. Are they called "splendid tree frogs"?

Speaking of, I got to shoot frogs in Reptile park. My life is so complete right now...
    Last edited by piczzilla; 28-07-2016 at 12:02pm.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely looks well fed Kev I've seen some of his kins in Reptile park. Are they called "splendid tree frogs"?
    I think it's just an ordinary Green Tree Frog.

I didn't come away from our meet with any shots that I was pleased with. At least the company was great.

A new camera, smoke haze, planes, and a coal hauler lit up like a Xmas tree and reflecting light off the haze all made shooting difficult. However it was a good learning experience and I'm glad I went.

This is possibly the best of my bad lot. Not particularly sharp, and only two planes in it. I would have liked to do some light painting on the jetty but left my 12v flashlight by the door where I put it so I wouldn't forget it.

Catho Jetty.jpg

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...I would have liked to do some light painting on the jetty but left my 12v flashlight by the door where I put it so I wouldn't forget it....
    The exact spot i left mine also.
    the night before Mark had suggested some interesting ideas regarding light painting and flash bombs,etc.

I think on a warmer clear night we could get another meet happening and try out some of the ideas.
    The images people can get using lit steel wool at night is on that is high on my to do list.

The pic you've posted has made good use of the coal loaders.
    Nice work.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I need a new wide angle lens.

The Samyang 14mm hit the deck recently, hard enough to mark the front element and I suspect put the focus mechanism out of alignment.

This was probably my pick of the night as I was happy with the colour, not so much with the plane that snuck into the shot.

Milky Way2.jpg

D7200, Samyang 14mm, ISO4000 @f2.8 for 20secs
    Last edited by Cage; 29-07-2016 at 2:11pm.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had another fiddle with the jetty shot, got rid of the plane trail and lightened the foreground a tad. Finished with it.

Now trying to work out how to afford the Tamron 15-30mm f2.8 lens. I could go for a cheaper DX wide angle but as the D810 is on top of my wishlist I've decided to go with the Tamron for future proofing.

Final edit of the jetty

Catho Jetty3.jpg

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast