User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Branded computer for running Photoshop and Lightroom?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Branded computer for running Photoshop and Lightroom?

I am looking for a new computer to run CS6 and Lr6. I currently have an unbranded computer (i7, 16GB) with a Dell screen. The computer has intermittent failures, always at the worst possible time. However, I am finding it hard to find a branded desk-top, other than Macs. The Dell I had been considering has just been discontinued. What desk top computers are people currently using for photo processing, the more recent the purchase the better. Thanks!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Visit www.scorptec.com.au and look through their systems. These days I would say an SSD for the OS and programmes, with a HDD for photo storage. A good graphics card with 4gb or more of graphics RAM that does not share RAM with the system, 16GB of RAM or more. See if you can get one with a card reader built in. If you are considering in future a 2 screen setup, make sure the graphics card has two screen ability..and find out of both screens can be calibrated independently.. some allow two screens, but share a profile, thus if you ended up with two different screens, you could not calibrate each optimally.

I have a scorptec system, but being a bit techy, I bought all the bits and put mine together myself. Scorptec at present have a competition going to win what is a damn fine system, spec wise, you could enter that and try and win one (should not tell you that cause I have entered).
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. Yes, I am not at all technologically inclined, so I do need something that is effectively ready made. With my win rate in competitions, I feel you are quite safe! (But a very generous gesture on your part, nonetheless, thanks!)

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sufran View Post
    ....... What desk top computers are people currently using for photo processing, the more recent the purchase the better. Thanks!

Always unbranded!!

Never waste my money on cheap parts from branded computers, when cheaper and better quality parts can be had from any computer supplies store.

The problem is that there's no money in building PCs, and companies like Acer, Dell, HP, etc, those PCs they sell for $1K, have the cheapest crappiest parts probably worth only a few hundred dollars.
    If you could source the crappy mainboard they respectfully use, you'd probably find it for $30 or something.
    A good mainboard should cost somewhere between $150-$300 if you want 'quality'.

PS. Your current unbranded i7 with 16Gb ram should be fine to run Ps and Lr!!!

You say that it's having 'intermittent failures', in my experience these intermittent failures are caused by the user themselves(not usually a hardware fault).
    That is, there is a higher likelyhood that the cause is something you have installed on the computer that is now causing it to intermittently fail.

First thing you'd want to do tho is work out what mainboard(motherboard) the builders have used, and locate appropriate drivers for it.
    Then plan on a fresh install on your OS, and if need be plan on a Win7 install at a minimum, or better yet Win10.

But! .. to be sure, before you outlay $s on a new PC or parts or whatever .. I'd be checking up on what's wrong with the current PC .... find out what mainboard it's using first tho!!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follow arthurking83's advice, your current system should run the software and a clean install will certainly help!

If you do decide to purchase a new pc I suggest talking to someone like computer alliance or gocomp or one of the other larger stores that will custom build you a pc to suit your requirements and budget. If you have any major dramas I am in Brisbane/Ipswich and might be able to help.

One thing to keep in mind when building a new pc for photography is storage and backups and how you are going to manage it.
    Cheers
    Jeremy

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with Uncle Arthur's comments.

What you have should do the job on it's ear. If you'd care to elaborate on the 'intermittent problems' I'm sure they can be sorted.

I'm no rocket scientist but I've been building my own computers for sixteen years, and if your problems are caused by something traceable it is not a difficult job to replace the dicky component.

PS: As a starting point download this free program that will give the details on your major system components. http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.76-en.exe
    Last edited by Cage; 01-07-2016 at 10:35am.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the useful information. True to form, computer is currently behaving itself now that it knows a replace is a real possibility. But I will be examining the system itself before considering an upgrade at this stage.