Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: horse racing pics help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

horse racing pics help

hi All
    i am taking pics for my vce folio of horse racing and would just like some tips and advice as i maybe hiring a lens - not sure which 1 should get
    i have a Canon EOS 550d with the std lens kit

thanks
    Jordy

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those who cannot remember the riveting facts about various kit lenses, it is good
    to specify them, like a 50-300, etc. Apart from that, it sounds onerous to have to hire
    a lens for such a task.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Am states, it would be handy to know what gear you have. Are you after action, do you have track side access?
    Filter

EOS R & 16-35 f4 EF, 70-200 2.8 RF
    Olympus OMD-EM1 Mark II 7-14 12-40 40-150 Pro lens.
    EOS 7D Mark II - 70D - Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, 17 - 55 2.8 Lenses

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry forgot to mention i have a 55-250mm and a 18-55 mm efs lens

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Next question. Have you ever photographed moving animals before? if not. get out and do so. seagulls, dogs running in the park, anything. You will need to get your panning skills cause no matter what lens you use, the photos will be crap if you do not have the skills to get the shot. Use your 55-250
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Ricktas has said, you can hire all the lenses, and cameras in the world, but if you've never shot a moving animal before, you're not going to get many great shots. it takes loads of practice, and time to get great photos of horses racing around a track. Maybe find someone with a horse that will let you practice first?
    Happy to take all constructive Critique, please don't rework or edit my photos. Thanks!

Canon 6D, 2 Canon 50D's gripped, Canon 1000D, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ( non IS),Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8.. yongnuo speedlights and triggers, and manfrotto tripods.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you all - off to practice i go

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as racing photos go, i've seen three basic angles. n These are head-on, side-on and from under the running rail. You need to decide whether you want to shoot these and select a lens for the angle(s) you want to shoot. Your 55-250 might be a bit short for the head-on unless you want to wait till they're right on top of you. It will do the side-on shots for you. For the under-rail shots, you'll need something like a 10-20 for an APS-C sensor of a 16-35 for a FF sensor. You'll need permission for the under rail stuff and a remote unless you spook the horses. Practise with the right lenses and in the the right angles.