Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: X1D anyone?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

X1D anyone?

Hasselblad just made the mirrorless format very interesting....

http://www.hasselblad.com/x1d
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks pretty interesting. Love my mirrorless but this thing looks a class above. The $9k price is pretty off-putting for a mirrorless though and so it the f3.5 being their widest lens.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

X1D anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Toddyh View Post
    That looks pretty interesting. Love my mirrorless but this thing looks a class above. The $9k price is pretty off-putting for a mirrorless though and so it the f3.5 being their widest lens.
    The lenses aren't cheap either but the sharpness achievable should be really good. The DoF on a medium format is much narrower so if you have a lens going down to the "usual" 1.4 then only a thin sliver will be in focus. Plus with 14 stops of dynamic range you can pull a lot more out of the shadows. For landscapes it could be a good alternative to the 645z.
    Last edited by Hamster; 24-06-2016 at 10:51am.

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wossit for ?
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    .... The DoF on a medium format is much narrower so if you have a lens going down to the "usual" 1.4 then only a thin sliver will be in focus. .....
    That's it.
    F/3.5 is actually fast for a MF.
    While you can get f/2.8 lenses for MF(eg. Pentax) .. the 135 format equivalent f/stop(in dof terms) for a f/3.5 lens is something like f/2. That's plenty wide enough.

The 135 format Sony A7's are notorious for battery killing power requirements .. it'll be interesting how this thing handles(real world) battery life(as opposed to claimed CIPA figures).

Prices seem strangely low tho!
    While the prices seem high if you just take them on face value, compared to historical HB pricing policies, these prices are cheap!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. I want one. Won't be getting one though.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post

Prices seem strangely low tho!
    Yes, that's why I compared it to the Pentax 645z. I'm guessing they're going for a similar audience of people who want to get into the resolution and range of MF but really can't justify the eye watering prices of a Phase One QF system. Like I say though, the H series of lenses are all pretty expensive. I'm not sure on the quality of the range, I assume some are better than the others. I'm not familiar enough with the 645z or HB H series lenses to be able to compare quality and value for money. If anyone is I'd be interested to hear about it.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It uses one of the smaller MF sensor formats so after applying the crop factor, you're looking at around 70mm f2.5 and 35mm f2.8 FF equiv for the 90mm f3.2 and 45mm f3.5 lenses respectively in terms of FOV and DOF.
    I don't think shallowest DOF or lowest light capabilities were ever the main focus for this and other MF formats.
    But for a wide range of moderate to good light shooting conditions, this will likely offer the best IQ possible in a far more manageable size and price.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com