Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: White balance cards etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

White balance cards etc

Hi All,
    have been away for a while ( started "the big trip") but due to some unfortunate family tragedies have had to cut it short

I have started a course in Newcastle to expand my base skills and at present going through the advantages of using white and grey cards or devices to adjust white balance/colour cast in camera and also to aid in exposure settings
    What I am looking for is something that is relatively sturdy and compact that can assist me in this
    I have looked at the Passport series and would like to know if there is any other "bits" out there that other members have found useful/ good value
    One that I did see but can't remember the name of had a fold out "obscure" disc that could be used to adjust the white balance using the light source, not reflected light
    Thanks in advance
    Bob

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have a microfibre lens cleaning cloth that is white on one side and 18% grey on the other. I have used it a few times to get a good white balance. I have had it for years and cannot recall where I got it, but it was on the counter at a camera store. You know...lets put these here and people might grab one as they check out.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just grabbed mine. Its a Spudz.

Go on ebay and search for spudz 18% gray and heaps of options come up. Though it looks like their lens cloth comes in 18% gray on both sides now.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Just grabbed mine. Its a Spudz.

Go on ebay and search for spudz 18% gray and heaps of options come up. Though it looks like their lens cloth comes in 18% gray on both sides now.
    Thanks for that I did a search and could not find one locally
    went to a camera store on the Central Coast on the weekend and asked about that very item
    Lo and behold he had them in stock !!
    further conversation went on to the asking about the passport brand and he replied that he had sold the last several weeks ago but proceeded over to the cabinet in search of grey cards and I spied some product at the back of the cabinet one of which was a ProDiskii which was exactly what I was looking for
    His comment did not know I had that (he was the owner) bit pricey at $115 but was what I was looking for
    Have tried it out and it works perfectly as advertised
    Have since found them listed by a Thai company called Seed **** at $58 plus freight etc so maybe not all that pricey after all
    More practice now getting ready for South America and Antarctica early next year