User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  11

Thread: Methods of competition voting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Methods of competition voting

I'm sure this must have been covered, but I'm afraid I couldn't find it.

Is there a suggested way of voting in competitions, or a way the system's designed to work? There are several ways that one could vote, ie:

- Give your favorite photo 10, and the rest zero. This would have the maximum impact on the poll.

- The next biggest impact would be produced by giving your favorite photo 10, then ranking the rest in comparison

- The least impact on the poll would be made by giving all photos an absolute or non-relative ranking, such as giving your favourite a 7 (eg in comparison to the intermediate standard)

What say you wise people?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    PS, if you start doing things like voting yourself a 10 and every other entry a 1. The software will note the trend and report your voting patterns to the admin team as that is not within the spirit of competitiveness. Same happens if someone votes the same member highly regularly, which makes us suspect that members are sharing details of which entry is theirs. We have multiple software triggers regarding voting patterns.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perfect, thanks. All is indeed explained! I'll try to remember to peruse the rest of the library to see what else I've missed.

Ausphotography Regular thegrump's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wish I had read this before.......
    I have been taking photos for 50 years. I am now trying to get into Photography

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it tricky to vote where I have entered an image. I like my photos and generally find it hard to mark another higher. As good yes but rarely higher. I assume this is because I'm biased and its relatively normal. The alternative is to mark mine harshly or deliberately elevate a few over mine. Either way, it seems to me that I won't be marking "naturally" so I tend to stay clear where I have entered a photo and let the vox populi prevail. How do others address this issue?
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    I find it tricky to vote where I have entered an image. I like my photos and generally find it hard to mark another higher. As good yes but rarely higher. I assume this is because I'm biased and its relatively normal. ......How do others address this issue?
    Same as you, but I always vote. We need more members voting. I'll often mark others photos higher than mine if they are better. My photos have a bias of +1 though.
    Remember, each of us is only one vote and that won't influences the end result to much. And the more people that vote the less you voting 10 for your entry will be relevant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the qualifing stage it doesn't make much difference if you tend to score your entry higher than average, ie for example if 40 people vote and all give you a 6 then your average is 6. If 39 give you a 6 and you give yourself a 10, the average will only increase to 6.1.

If we assume that everyone has a slight bias towards their own entry (by way of human nature ), and everyone who enters votes, then the bias should balance out.

The important thing is that there is a high number of people voting.

I just try to be objective. I have no problem voting other entries higher than mine especially in the qualifing stage.

In the finals I tend not to vote if I think mine is the best as I have never been convinced that it is not just my bias.
    Mark

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have done some statistical analysis on voting in the past. Here are my thoughts

• Any one member is highly unlikely to affect the results.
    • We don't see any significant anomalies anyway
    • The results tend to be 99% confidence the consensus of what the members feel
    • As a judge in the club system I think the AP system is actually fairer than 'pro' judging (less bias)
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff