User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: 'Save As' vs 'Save For Web'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'Save As' vs 'Save For Web'

I was working on a RAW file in Photoshop CC and did some minor adjustments using Curves and Gradient Map layers.

I saved a file in PNG format to my desktop and noticed that the colours were unlike those I was seeing while in Photoshop.

I then saved another copy as PNG but this time using the 'Save For Web' option and the photo looked like what I had been seeing in Photoshop.

Does anyone know why this difference is being caused?

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes.

In your PNG settings you are using a different color profile from the default sRGB profile in Save for web.

You use "File - Save as..." to save a PNG (among many other formats). Look down the dialog box for something like
    "Color... ICC Profile" and a tick box.
    See what profile it's using.

If your camera uses, say, sRGB, and Photoshop's Save as is different, then set your "other" profile OFF - untick the box.

There's more to setting up color profiles in Pshop, but this will do, as it depends on what your monitor uses and...

>Oh, I should have said: you can change Save for Web settings in later versions, such as your CC version.<
    Last edited by ameerat42; 11-06-2016 at 12:10am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great answer Am. Colour profiles and Colour matching are a huge area of photography and printing in general. As Am says chances are you are saving in something other than sRGB colour profile.

If, as a beginner, there was not enough for you to learn about photography! There is way more than meets the eye. If you want some basics on colourspaces click HERE
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography