User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Photo Editing Software

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photo Editing Software

Hi, just wondering if I could get some feedback on GIMP, was looking around for some free online software and GIMP seemed to stand out, would jump on PhotoShop if it wasn't so pricey and plus I'm still in the learning stages so didn't see much point of grabbing that just yet, cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

Searching the forum I found a link for PhotoShop CS2? Have downloaded that and registered, will have more of a look tonight.

In the right bottom corner where it says 'Layer', is that the function to use when making images like where the engine of a car can be seen in the images without lifting the bonnet? Two photos are taken and layered together right? I'm obviously a noob, be kind to me, ha.
    Canon EOS 40D - Canon EF-S17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM - Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM - Canon Speedlite 430EX III - Canon BG-E2 Battery Grip

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of your CS2 find, that's the one I mention here from time to time. Didn't I mention it to you?
    --Oh, it was to Bushy.

Well, you will be asked to register each time you open Photoshop. But you DON'T have to, just click
    "Do Not Register" after the first registration. And yes about the layers, though that's not all you can
    use them for.

Now, since this is ostensibly about GIMP...

Yes, I have it installed as well (because some people here use it and I need it to check things out sometimes).
    Do I use it much? - You're right, I do not. For me, the setup of Photoshop is much better. Now, another thing,
    AT THIS STAGE you will not need anything more """"advanced"""" than the CS2 version. I had the CS6 trial for a month
    and the basic functionality is not much more - if I remember it being so at all - than that of CS2. Sure, a few extra
    nick-nacks. Anyway, CS2 is still my main image editor (besides the raw converter).

Set up Photoshop to be meaningful for what you mainly do. There are lots of ways to configure the screen. Mine is shown
    below. Also, set up your preferences. I use almost the default set, with some changes. I will explain what if you need.

Now, as I usually harp on: it is the image editing IDEAS you need to learn, not just how to drive a progam. After that, you
    can transfer the ideas to other programs if you want.

Finally, to be fair: I suppose it does not matter much whether you use GIMP or Photoshop. I wouldn't try to "learn them both"
    as their operation is different enough to be confusing. (well, to me, but luckily I took up GIMP long after Photoshop.)

OK, my Pshop screen...
    cs2screen.jpg
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent, I think I'll look into PhotoShop more than GIMP.

Thanks for that.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    AT THIS STAGE you will not need anything more """"advanced"""" than the CS2 version. I had the CS6 trial for a month
    and the basic functionality is not much more - if I remember it being so at all - than that of CS2. Sure, a few extra
    nick-nacks.
    CS6 has more than a few extra nick-nacks. Wish I could learn some of them.
    Latest versions of Gimp also have much more to offer than CS2.
    When was CS2 released and why is it available free??
    Forget CS2.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can always do a comparison of the versions to see just what and how useful it might be to you
    at this time. Also do a comparison with GIMP.

What else does a change of Levels do besides altering some tones?
    How will a slightly snazzier way of manipulating Layers help your PP?

Those Qs are better directed to Adobe. Here's one you can ask me:
    Why do you still use CS2?

Start somewhere and work out your needs from it. Notice that this even covers GIMP.

In the realm of gift-horses, almost any mount will save a kingdom

PS: Part of the answer is that I have used Pshop versions from 3 to 9 (CS2) and have tried CS4, 5 and 6,
    all bought by others and who have needed help with using them.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 09-06-2016 at 10:47pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it'll all come down to how 'advanced' the user wants to go.

If at the end of the day, it's just to fix a few blotches, then either will work. Even basic exposure and colour correcting is possible either one?
    If you need automatic panorama stitching, or new tools and such, easy selection tools, layers, etc, then you'll have to look into which has it.

I use CS6 and still don't utilise its full capability.
    My sister uses GIMP for her drawings (graphics tablet) and finds GIMP sufficient (especially being that it's free).

If free options are all you have, you will just need to look into which has the functions you want, and invest into that.

When I tried GIMP, as ameerat42 said, it's different, so I stuck to Photoshop and didn't bother investing any time into GIMP, similarly to my sister when I suggested Photoshop, she already invested her time into GIMP and it was sufficient, so not bothered.

So whilst you're in the beginning stages Darkthrone, I suggest give both a quick try. Just reading their product descriptions doesn't give the full picture.
    Look into their menus, see what they have, get a feel, then make a decision and stick to it.

I also look at it this way, if you start with GIMP and eventually find Photoshop more sufficient, Photoshop's interface is (at least for me) much simpler to learn so you won't have to stress all that much about the difficulty of trying to learn a whole new system.
    David Tran
    Sony a55
    Sony DT 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6
    Now sits as an antique as it no longer focuses properly.

Wishlist: Sony RX10iv (or RX10v if it ever comes out)

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At this stage just interested in the layers side of PS, once I've played more with the camera and PS I can explore more and learn more.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Layers will be the biggest step forward in your processing. It enables you to get into non-destructive editing. Layers, and more specifically Adjustment Layers allow you to do selective editing through the use of Masks. Get yourself onto Youtube and subscribe to some of the many, many, free Photoshop Tutorials. Remember though, that what you see is just one person's method. There are many ways to reach the same outcome. You may find that they are using CS6 or CC in their tutorials, so those features may not be available in CS2. Personally, if I was just getting into Photoshop, I'd go the CC route.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes they are. At least some of 'em...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by Warbler; 14-06-2016 at 7:55pm.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta for the info. Something for Darks to think about.