User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Car Photography Help/Hints/Tips

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Car Photography Help/Hints/Tips

Hi all, new here and after a lengthy lay off have decided to get back into photography.

My Mum who retired today after 43 years of nursing has decided to treat herself to a new car which I am more than keen to get stuck into with the camera, she is looking at more than likely getting the 2016 Holden VF SV6 Black Edition sedan, so I am looking for help, hints, tips in taking nice images of the car and for one of them to be printed and framed.

Camera I have is a Canon EOS 40D with a Canon EF-S17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM and Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, so I will obviously be using the 17-85mm and 50mm.

I'm thinking the following settings, please feel free to let me know what you think.

Car will be stationary so I'm thinking ISO of 100 or 200, Aperture of 4.5 to 8., I've read 4.5 for car front images and 8. for side images, focusing more on the car with a blurred background, what sort of Shutter Speed should I be looking at? Photos I'm thinking will be taking during the day, around before sunset or around lunch time, also thinking of some night shots, so ISO of 100, Aperture of 4.5 and 8. again, Shutter Speed of 10 to 30 seconds?

I'm thinking shots of the front, side of the car, some angled view shots, close up badge shots, rims, certain exterior view points like curves, badging, etc.

What about interior though, I'm not quite sure of what settings to use here.

All comments, suggestions, help, hints welcome, thank you.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will have a static subject that you have control over so you are in a position to take heaps of test shots and go with the camera settings that suit the best.

The right setting and location is something that can make or break this type of shot. If it's all about the car, look for an uncluttered foreground and backdrop. Nothing looks worse than a power pole or whatever seemingly part of the car. Remember the minor things like a brush to clean the dirt off the tyre treads.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that's a biggish task. Exposure, of course, depends on the light. Presumably, the illumination will be
    daylight. Now, I don't know how you are with camera operation, whether you're OK with straight Manual
    operation, or what. If you have a few f-stops for ideas, use them, putting your camera into Av mode and
    setting the aperture to what you want then letting the shutter speed vary. If you can also fix your ISO
    setting, even better.

Bear in mind, though, that the same f-stop, like f/8, will give different results for Depth of Field (DOF) for
    different lenses and at different distances to subject.

There a few people who do car photography on AP, but one in particular you might look at for COMPOSITION
    is @Wretched; He is pretty advanced, though, so some of his techniques may not be what you are looking for.

For interior shots, again meter the available light. Consider using fill flash or other fill light to balance or augment
    the available light.

You really have to try a few shots. For any given conditions, though, a few shots should soon set you right.

At the outset, try to have a pretty firm idea of what you're trying to achieve. Work towards getting that.

(A bit general, I know, but... - you can salute later)
    Last edited by ameerat42; 07-06-2016 at 8:29pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I've seen @Wretched's stuff, it's MINT! I first came across his stuff on Flickr and have gone through so many images of his admiring what he has done, have also checked out what settings he is using as well.

I'm trying to use only Manual mode as the way I see it, seeing I'm getting back into DSLR photography I might as well do it the hard way and get more of an understanding and control over the camera, so figured Manual would be ideal.

Have seen @Wretched's light painting images which are unreal, makes the subject go BANG, quality photography as I'm sure we all know, I'm a bit of a fan boy of his work now, also seems to have the same taste in music as well, ha.

Looking forward to Mum getting her car, not just driving it but getting stuck into it with the camera, I have a 2004 Holden VZ SS Ute which I need to take some photos of seeing I've pulled the camera out again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkthrone View Post
    Car will be stationary so I'm thinking ISO of 100 or 200, Aperture of 4.5 to 8., I've read 4.5 for car front images and 8. for side images, focusing more on the car with a blurred background, what sort of Shutter Speed should I be looking at? Photos I'm thinking will be taking during the day, around before sunset or around lunch time, also thinking of some night shots, so ISO of 100, Aperture of 4.5 and 8. again, Shutter Speed of 10 to 30 seconds?

I'm thinking shots of the front, side of the car, some angled view shots, close up badge shots, rims, certain exterior view points like curves, badging, etc.

What about interior though, I'm not quite sure of what settings to use here.

All comments, suggestions, help, hints welcome, thank you.
    Personally I would be mostly using your 50mm lens, before I upgraded all my car photos were with my nifty fifty.

Times wise the full daylight sun can be a bit harsh sometimes, sunset or full night time in a car park under lights was my preference.

The exact settings for shutter speed are very dependant on the light available, keep your ISO low use a tripod for longer shutter speeds.

Interior shots a flash would be helpful, turn the interior light on, long exposure with the tripod.

Little things like when shooting the front 3/4 turn the front wheels so they are facing you, blacken the tyres, clean car obviously.
    Cheers
    Jeremy

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @JJM, appreciate the feedback.

Will need to grab a decently priced tripod before the car arrives then, nothing dear, but something reliable, also really interested in a remote as well, so I don't need to touch the camera body to make shots as I don't want the 'shake' during long exposure, will probably just grab a cheapy off of eBay.

Agree with the 50mm, especially with the variety in Aperture, would come in really handy with close ups of the Holden badge, some interior, exterior close ups, will also remember to use the flash, I have a Canon Speedlite 430EX III which I honestly haven't used much since having it, it's still sitting in it's box, only used a handful of times.

Was thinking of mainly taking photos at sunset, some night shots also, interested to play a little with 'light painting' as well.

Really admire the shots I've seen by @Wretched, sharp, clear images.
    Canon EOS 40D - Canon EF-S17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM - Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM - Canon Speedlite 430EX III - Canon BG-E2 Battery Grip

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkthrone View Post

I'm trying to use only Manual mode as the way I see it, seeing I'm getting back into DSLR photography I might as well do it the hard way and get more of an understanding and control over the camera, so figured Manual would be ideal.
    Bugga that. What if you can't get photos you're happy with using manual? Why did they invent AV mode?