User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone used a Stedi-Stock camera mount?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone used a Stedi-Stock camera mount?

Hello All,
    I'm looking for a good, easy to use solution to the problem of how to hold steady a camera and long lens.
    I've tried a monopod and a belt pouch for the monopod, but neither of these arrangements provide the flexibility needed when "shooting" birds.
    It occurred to me that mounting the camera/lens on a rifle stock or similar might prove to be a good solution.
    A quick search turned up the Stedi-Stock, a nylon device like a gun stock, which appears like it might solve the problem.
    Has anyone used, handled, or seen one of these? I would appreciate any comments that might help make a decision as to whether it is the solution.

Cheers,
    Terry

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't use one, and from looking at the Google images, I wouldn't bother.
    The whole setup is too short for any useful inertial dampening IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Qualification: Except, perhaps, if that "handle" itself is resting on something solid.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    I don't use one, and from looking at the Google images, I wouldn't bother.
    The whole setup is too short for any useful inertial dampening IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Qualification: Except, perhaps, if that "handle" itself is resting on something solid.
    I don't think inertial damping is the aim it's size and mass being greatly 'outweighed' by the camera & lens. Surely it's purpose is to allow you to firmly butt the stock up against your shoulder, as you would with a rifle.

Cheers,
    Terry

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. Inertial dampening.

Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Yep. Inertial dampening.
    Oh, what nonsense! Time to revise your physics I think.

Cheers,
    Terry

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could see it being quite a good steadying aid when used in conjunction with a monopod.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cage might be onto something. Use the monopod instead of the handle, maybe with a ball head. It's not going to be all that steady hand-held. I was a shooter when I was younger and fitter. Got the marksman's award at my recruitment course. I can tell you that some camera/lens combos are as heavy as rifle and holding a rifle steady whilst standing unsupported is not easy.

Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    I could see it being quite a good steadying aid when used in conjunction with a monopod.
    You're probably right, but I want to get rid of the blasted monopod! They are a severe restriction when shooting birds. One moment you are looking at a bird on the ground, and the next trying to track a BIF high above. A monopod just gets in the way in a scenario like this. They are beaut if your subjects remain at about the same line of sight.
    Handheld is the most flexible method for birds, and a device like this would seem to offer very similar flexibility but with that added stability that the butt into the shoulder should provide.
    Whilst it all looks and sounds like a good idea , it may be useless. Hopefully Someone has actually experienced one of these.

Cheers,
    Terry

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    Cage might be onto something. Use the monopod instead of the handle, maybe with a ball head. It's not going to be all that steady hand-held. I was a shooter when I was younger and fitter. Got the marksman's award at my recruitment course. I can tell you that some camera/lens combos are as heavy as rifle and holding a rifle steady whilst standing unsupported is not easy.
    Totally agree Warbler.

I'm also an old rifle shooter from the .303 days and I also have the Army's Crossed Rifles marksmanship award.

Even shooting prone with both elbows on the ground, we used to use the sling for additional stability.

These things don't cost an arm and a leg so I may even try one myself to use with my monopod.

Agree Terry, a monopod is not a big help with BIF. I started with an average monopod head but found it tended to droop, so I upgraded to a Kirk and when set for the weight of your gear it's good enough to stay where you point it.
    Last edited by Cage; 02-05-2016 at 4:57pm.

Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    OK. The story is staring to get repetitive, so maybe you're all on the right track and I'm 'barking up the wrong tree'

Cheers,
    Terry

- - - Updated - - -

Totally agree Warbler.

I'm also an old rifle shooter from the .303 days and I also have the Army's Crossed Rifles marksmanship award.

Even shooting prone with both elbows on the ground, we used to use the sling for additional stability.

These things don't cost an arm and a leg so I may even try one myself to use with my monopod.

Agree Terry, a monopod is not a big help with BIF. I started with an average monopod head but found it tended to droop, so I upgraded to a Kirk and when set for the weight of your gear it's good enough to stay where you point it.
    OK. The drooping head isn't the real issue. It's having to lift the whole damned contraption off the ground to get a sight on anything much above eye level. I'm 6' 4" in old money, so maybe you can see how awkward these things are for me...and that's why the gun-stock approach looked so attractive.
    But, as most seem to be saying, it may not be much help on its own.

Cheers,
    Terry

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aha, I see the problem.

I'm a shortie alongside you, only 6', but I just mounted my camera on my monopod and head (5'6"" to the top of the monopod head) and I see what you mean as I had to stoop to look through the viewfinder when the camera was pointing up at a high angle.

Quick Fix ??? A taller monopod. Maybe something like this http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/...minium-monopod

Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aha, I see the problem.

I'm a shortie alongside you, only 6', but I just mounted my camera on my monopod and head (5'6"" to the top of the monopod head) and I see what you mean as I had to stoop to look through the viewfinder when the camera was pointing up at a high angle.

Quick Fix ??? A taller monopod. Maybe something like this http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/...minium-monopod
    That looks like a decent height, and should be an improvement. I'll have to have a look at one of those.
    Thanks for the link.

Cheers,
    Terry

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This might be your go.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another bit of gear I'm really happy with. Similar action to the video in Warbler's post.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...erley-Sidekick
    Last edited by Cage; 02-05-2016 at 7:48pm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    why not just get a DSLR steadicam? Same concept as used to steady cinema cameras for shooting movies..but for your DSLR. Sometimes people overthink stuff
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use this head on my Benro monopod
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Benro-Mon...UAAOSwabhUVwdV
    When using it with my Sigma lens, I have the lock screw on the head loose and the collar on the lens loose as well. Does everything as well as being just a monopod.
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    why not just get a DSLR steadicam? Same concept as used to steady cinema cameras for shooting movies..but for your DSLR. Sometimes people overthink stuff
    Hmmm, maybe you're under thinking!
    All the DSLR steadicams I could find with a quick search are only suited for camera of about 1kg or less. My DSL and lens is about 3 kg, and I suspect these devices add some mass as well. Not sure I'm convinced.

Cheers,
    Terry

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tduell View Post
    Hmmm, maybe you're under thinking!
    All the DSLR steadicams I could find with a quick search are only suited for camera of about 1kg or less. My DSL and lens is about 3 kg, and I suspect these devices add some mass as well. Not sure I'm convinced.

Cheers,
    Terry
    Under thinking or not, you have had some interesting views and ideas presented in your thread. So you have some thinking of your own to do before you make your decision, eh?

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tie a washer to a string long enough to reach from the ground to about the height of your chin. Tie the other end of the string to a bolt that will fit your camera's tripod socket. Screw the bolt into the camera and stand on the washer. Done.

I have no idea how well this works.

Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Under thinking or not, you have had some interesting views and ideas presented in your thread. So you have some thinking of your own to do before you make your decision, eh?
    Yes, you are quite right, a lot of good discussion on the subject.

Cheers,
    Terry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast