User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: Strange things happen around cemeteries at night.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strange things happen around cemeteries at night.

I went out tonight for a shoot near the local cemetery.

I did some test shots from outside the fence but decided that I needed to be inside the fence. I picked up the tripod and moved to the gate, put the tripod down and reached for the latch on the gate. Tripod, D800 and Samyang 14mm lens immediately toppled over.

Sheeeeettttt!!!!!!!

I picked it up, expecting the worst. The Samyang 14mm had it's huge filter holder on it (I hadn't been able to remove it) and that took the full brunt of the fall, with the holder parting ways with the bit that slips over the lens hood. The lens element also hit the dirt and was covered in crap.

Bugger, and I'd made a commitment not to tread on any graves, if at all possible. I packed up and beat a hasty retreat.

When I got home and cleaned up the mess I was relieved to find that the D800 never even touched the ground. The Samyang now has some battle scars on the front element, what effect they will have remains to be seen. The filter holder that has defied all my efforts to remove it is now partially dismounted, so not all bad. The Tamron 15-30mm has now moved to the top of my wish list.

The last time I was near a cemetery I was spooked by a pair of eyes which upon investigation turned out to be two marbles on a tombstone.

I think I'm gong to have to recce some new locations.
    Last edited by Cage; 30-05-2016 at 11:43pm.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'