Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: Images are so dark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink Images are so dark

I am needing help asap.

My images are shooting way too dark indoors. I am using a Nikon D600 with a Speedlite. My iso is at 200, Shutter 200 and f/stop 5.3

I have never had this trouble before with my camera and am becoming quiet stressed over it. Even with the flash they're so dark.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    post some of the photos with EXIF attached.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for Rick's reply.

Also note that if you use Adobe software to process images, it can lose a lot of info in the exif data that pertains to camera specific settings.
    Something to be wary of.
    You can easily extract exif data from the raw file(do you shoot raw?) with some simple software(if you don't have it installed).
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you changed your metering method. With Nikon's, the metering method impacts the photos when you use flash. I.e. it effects whether it uses TTL or TTL BL
    Last edited by MissionMan; 26-05-2016 at 12:20pm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wonder how ASAP the help needed is? OP posted their thread and logged off the very same minute and hasn't been back. I would have thought ASAP meant they might have been back to look at the answers by now.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry we had a family emergency, totally unexpected. Thank you for your replies. I will check my metering. I'm not sure what has happened with my camera.

- - - Updated - - -

I do shoot in raw also.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As suggested, post an example.

Your EXIF data will most likely provide an answer.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hope you join in and help other site members out soon, too

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definately, this is a great site. Happy to have found it. How do i attach a jpeg of my EXIF? Sorry i haven't used a forum before so this is all new to me.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In the LIBRARY across the top of the site is a HOW DO I section.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hang on Jill. What do you mean here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jill33 View Post
    ...How do i attach a jpeg of my EXIF?...
    If you mean how do you attach a picture to a post, then follow Rick's reply.
    If you mean something else about Exif, then please say again.
    Ta.
    Am.

- - - Updated - - -

I just had another look at the first post and I think you must be talking about how to preserve the EXIF
    when you post an image.

The thing to be sure of is that during your image processing there is no step that strips the Exif data
    from your image. Some programs do, like if you Save For Web in Photoshop and do not tell it otherwise.

So, if you are using Photoshop, just re-size your image and do a normal Save as... When you then post
    your image here the EXIF will be visible when using an Exif viewer.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jill33 View Post
    I am needing help asap.

My images are shooting way too dark indoors. I am using a Nikon D600 with a Speedlite. My iso is at 200, Shutter 200 and f/stop 5.3

I have never had this trouble before with my camera and am becoming quiet stressed over it. Even with the flash they're so dark.
    ISO 200, 1/200, f5.3 (should that be 3.5?) wouldn't be a typical setting I'd expect to use indoors unless it was a particularly bright sunlight filled room. Which means you're probably relying more on your speedlite to 'fill' your room.
    How are you arriving at your exposure settings?
    Anyhow I suspect something's changed with your speedlite settings?
    As others have said, can we have more info? Posting an example would help a lot.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    ISO 200, 1/200, f5.3 (should that be 3.5?) wouldn't be a typical setting .....
    Actually, you're right Swifty.
    F/5.3 isn't a traditional aperture value .. not in either a 1/3Ev or 1/2 Ev setp value.

1/3 Ev step aperture values go from f/4 -> f/4.5 -> f/5 - f/5.6.
    1/2 Ev steps are: f/4 -> f/4.8 -> f/5.6

I think you can get f/5.3 on some variable aperture lenses(ie. such as kit lenses and the usual bag of long tele variable aperture lenses(eg. 80-400 f/4-5.6).
    At some of the almost longest focal lengths you can hit a f/5.3 aperture value which is actually hard to do in some instances.

eg. .. and a hypothesis, so not actual numbers: if we use something like a kit lens 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, if the lens is kept wide open and you zoom, the lens aperture value changes automatically.
    The point at where it closes up changes for all these variable aperture lenses. But lets say on this hypothetical 18-55 lens, as you zoom in, at 35mm it may close down to f/4, and as you transition from 35-55mm, it stops down more .. where at 50ish mm it may have an f/5.3 value.
    That's really about the only way I can guess that an aperture value of f/5.3 can arise from.

So the above then assumes a kit lens of some type has been used, and that it has to be set to wide open.

Until the OP reveals more info .. this thread is a a dead end.

And to the OP. The best way to get a jpg image with FULL exif data .. is to use a small program called Instant Jpeg from RAW(IJFR). You simply extract a jpg file from the raw file at say 900x600 or whatever and upload that file to AP(once you figure that part out).
    I wouldn't trust Adobe software to maintain all the maker notes in the exif data.

Going on the premise that the lens is a variable aperture kit type lens, and that it was used wide open .. there is a strong possibility that OP's experience may be limited, and that a camera setting may have been unwittingly made to cause the current issue. The camera maker notes will reveal that. (no offence intended to the OP)

but as before .. until an image with full exif is uploaded .. this thread is going nowhere.