User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Canon 5d (mk1) shoot in raw in "full auto" ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon 5d (mk1) shoot in raw in "full auto" ?

Question for other Canon EOS 5D Mk1 users out there.
    Do you have a firmware version/setting that allows you to save Raw+Jpg in "Full auto" mode?

Yeah, ok, sounds like a weird question as no one shoots in Full auto on a full frame
    I actually shoot "happy snaps" when I don't want to think, or when I hand the camera to a friend, in full auto.
    Up until now, I have been rescuing a few "full auto" images by editing the raw (cr2) photos.
    This is using firmware 1.1.1. and not using Magic lantern (Even though the manual says Raw +L is not available in Full Auto, I have been doing it).

I sent my camera off for repair and they wiped my settings and changed the firmware (so it says on the invoice). So I have to setup my photo styles again, turn off the "Shoot when there is no CF card", resetup my custom button for AEB, setup ISO expansion and all the other settings I love.

Problem is, in Full auto mode, I used to save in Raw and Jpeg. Now it only does Jpeg. I know the camera manual and original firmware did not allow Raw in Full auto but I must have found a firmware that did.

I have pulled out my old photos and sure enough, the photos I shot in Full Auto have Raw/Jpeg companion photos.
    (And the exif confirms it, it lists "full auto")

I have checked the Exif in the photos and they say Firmware 1.1.1 and currently I have 1.1.1 on the camera.

The photos in Full Auto mode look like IMG_XXXX.JPG and IMG_XXXX.CR2, Images taken in the other "Creative mode" have the format _MG_XXXX.JPG and _MG_XXXX.CR2.

Am I going insane and this feature was an unintended accident ?

Have I turned something on in the past that allowed this ?

I have looked through the custom features and played with sRGB and Adobe RGB etc looking for anything that might make the feature unlock.

Any ideas ?

I have just sent the repairer sample photos (jpeg and CR2) taken in full auto mode. Just to prove I could do it

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could it have been in "P" mode? I am fairly sure on all the canon bodies "Auto" only shoots in Jpg.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

thanks for the suggestion. no, it was in Full auto and the EXIF info backs it up

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is 1.1.1 and no RAW option for the green rectangle. Those file names you mentioned starting with the "_" are for images shot in ARGB, and that option isn't in the menu for full auto either. Sorry I can't help.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks,

I am scratching my head trying to work out what I turned on or did to make it happen.
    I never gave it a second thought. Just always had the feature

- - - Updated - - -

It must have been some hack/setting the previous owner applied to it.
    I just heard from the repairer. They left the same firmware as is. All they did was remove the battery and lost all the settings.
    So I have the same firmware.

Weird

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mickyj View Post

Yeah, ok, sounds like a weird question as no one shoots in Full auto on a full frame
    I actually shoot "happy snaps" when I don't want to think, or when I hand the camera to a friend, in full auto.
    Look at it from another angle. Kel mentioned P mode. Maybe take the photos in that P mode and the other problems go away. (think P is an underestimated auto-mode)
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine wont shoot RAW in Auto Mode either. Did you find a solution. (just interested, not something I would use)
    Canon 1D, 5D, 7D & D2000 plus lotsa extras
    See here for gear list: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...d.php?p=151869

My photo website http://www.touring4x4.com/
    Travel & photography blog: http://www.touring4x4.com/blog/

PP & CC is OK

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to have a guess and suggest that you may not have been on full auto, but on P mode anyway. It's only one click on the mode dial. One of the problems I recall on my 5D was that it was easy to knock the dial and change the mode. That's one reason the newer models have a locking button you need to depress to twist the dial.