Thread: Monitor keeps going into Power Save mode

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monitor keeps going into Power Save mode

Hi,
    I was using my computer when it went into power save mode of it's own accord. Normally it resumes with a movement of the mouse or a tap on the keyboard. Not today Jose!

I did a hard off and restarted it (many, many times) but no joy. It boots to the start-up screen (W10) with the four blue squares and the revolving cursor then goes into power save mode.

I can rule out the monitor because I have two connected and they both do the same thing.

It's a self built job with the following:

W10 64bit O/S
    Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P (rev. 1.0)
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 (BE) with Noctua twin fan HS
    4 x 4GB G.Skill F3-12800CL9D (Running @ 1333Mhz Unganged)
    Samsung 128GB SSD 840 Pro
    3 x WD HDD (1 x 2Tb and 2 x 500Gb)
    Sapphire Radeon HD5750 with 1GB DDR5
    Seasonic 550W PSU

I know it's getting a bit long in the tooth but it's really doing all I want so I'm happy with it.

I got into the power management in the BIOS but there was no option to change any settings that I felt may have helped.

The mobo has dual BIOS and the one I was running got corrupted so it's been running on the back-up for quite a while and yeah, I know I should have flashed the corrupted one.

I also tried to start up using my W7 which is on another hard dive but same result. The computer is running as normal, HDD activity light flashing and making all the usual sounds.

My gut feeling is the Video Card has carked it and the Mobo doesn't have onboard graphics so no easy check.

Any thoughts appreciated.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree it sounds like the graphics card. Though sometimes these things test us extensively. Have you checked that all the power cords are pushed into their respective sockets firmly? I once had a similar issue and it turned out the power cord to the main unit had loosened just a tad, and it caused all sorts of weird things to occur. If a cord it loose, the graphics card could just be not getting the juice it wants and throws a hissy.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Still in the Circle of Confusion
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Rick.

Yep, did all the usual checks, power leads, RAM seated OK, SATA leads, GPU seated OK etc.

The thing that puzzles me is the appearance of the W10 logo after the post screen. It's not the usual one with the rays of light coming in from the right, just the four blue squares with the 'busy' cursor. I would have thought that it would be coming from the OS but perhaps W10 has written it to the BIOS.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just ordered a new Video Card.

Hope that solves the problem because I'm not loving the laptop for everyday use.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I managed to get into Safe Mode and re-installed the GPU drivers but it still did the same thing.

Maybe I'm being a cynic here but it did happen just after the latest round of updates. I still have vivid memories of Vista and Crash Tuesdays.

I guess all I can do is hope that installing the new GPU, a Gigabyte Radeon R7 360 2GB GDDR5 sorts it out. It has double the RAM and higher clock speeds so I may see a slight improvement in some applications.
    Last edited by Cage; 18-05-2016 at 5:24pm.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put the new video card in and all good.

When I fired up the computer, no internet. The NBN was having a hissy fit.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had some minor screen flashing after the new install, sort of like a screen refresh, so have had a play with the drivers, uninstall, re-install etc, and it seems to have settled down.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good news