User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  12
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone used a Stedi-Stock camera mount?

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Sometimes people overthink stuff
    So I'll under think, which I like.
    Look at Warblers video link again. Just the start. See the ring thing and grip thing he has on the lens. It's all I use (no wonder my bird photos are crap) It lets you brace your left arm (attached to left hand attached to whatever the ring thing and grip is called) against your body thus giving some added stability.
    If I'm stationary waiting for birds to come then a monopod is good (lightweight tripod with one leg down for me, when I can be bothered taking it. Sitting with camera on knee works)
    Remember, under thinking here (but it's what I do)

Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    So I'll under think, which I like.
    Look at Warblers video link again. Just the start. See the ring thing and grip thing he has on the lens. It's all I use (no wonder my bird photos are crap) It lets you brace your left arm (attached to left hand attached to whatever the ring thing and grip is called) against your body thus giving some added stability.
    If I'm stationary waiting for birds to come then a monopod is good (lightweight tripod with one leg down for me, when I can be bothered taking it. Sitting with camera on knee works)
    Remember, under thinking here (but it's what I do)
    Hello Mark,
    I'm not sure who was over-thinking, but am happy to cop the blame.
    As it's a solution to my particular problem, I'm going to keep on thinking about it until I get a satisfactory (for me) solution, or give up...not sure how long that will take.
    I reckon there is only one reason to under think something, and that is "no time to think about it any more"...i.e. an emergency; solution needed right now; money's run out, stuff like that. Civilisation would be still in the stone age if under thinking had been the universal modus operandi, but that's just my opinion.
    Re Warbler's video, I have been unable to see it, it doesn't play here, so have to imagine from your description.
    Any form of bracing should help, but yet to find a solution that suits bird shooting (stationary and in-flight) for me.
    Still thinking!

Cheers,
    Terry

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tduell View Post
    Re Warbler's video, I have been unable to see it, it doesn't play here, so have to imagine from your description.
    It's a Tomahawk Gimbal Head Terry. Go to Luminous Landscape to see the video, but here is another link to a review of it. You can put these straight onto a monopod, and the one in the video was one of those Manfrottos that you adjust the height on using a single trigger. Makes it easy. Hold it at the height you want, press the trigger and it extends to that height and locks.

https://photographylife.com/reviews/...bal-attachment

Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    It's a Tomahawk Gimbal Head Terry. Go to Luminous Landscape to see the video, but here is another link to a review of it. You can put these straight onto a monopod, and the one in the video was one of those Manfrottos that you adjust the height on using a single trigger. Makes it easy. Hold it at the height you want, press the trigger and it extends to that height and locks.

https://photographylife.com/reviews/...bal-attachment
    Thanks for that. Luminous Landscape seems to be unreachable at the moment and that probably explains why I can't see the video.
    Had a look at the Tomahawk Gimbal head, and looks like a snoopy piece of gear. I have yet to look at the monopod you mentioned. That also sounds interesting.
    Thanks for the info.

Cheers,
    Terry

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest I don't think there is the perfect solution. The problem with Gimbal heads is they are perfect for long range shooting but not the best for short range because the pivot point is around the back third of the lens - so if you set it at eye level straight on, the camera body is too high when pointing to the ground and too low when point skywards.

The ideal set up for walk around BIF is a light weight set up - say a 7DII (no grip) and a 100-400.

I personally use a carbon fibre monopod with tilt head with gives me some leah way when adjusting angles. I have a heavy set up (1DX + 200-400) but if i need to aim higher than normal I lift the lens (and monopod) and use it hand held for a minute to so (following a BIF). When I walk I throw the monopod over my shoulder (body and lens attached). Now most of my shooting is at a distance and even BIF I seem to be able to have enough angle on the tilt head to get me through.

If I am particularly going for a walk I will take a lighter body and a lighter lens (as suggested above), but my biggest problem is hand held at 400mm + is holding the shot steady enough to get a sharp shot. I personally prefer some sort of mounting platform. I must add I am under 5'10", so don't face the same challenges as the thread starter.

If anybody has the perfect solution please enlighten me.
    Last edited by Brian500au; 07-05-2016 at 5:01pm.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12