User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Was Edit Counterproductive

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was Edit Counterproductive

The image which I posted recently was edited to highlight the main subject, and dull down the background, which seemed to be the normal and appropriate thing to do, and it took a while to achieve. By chance I later saw this and the original side by side, and wondered if I had lost the impact of the original. The third has minimal editing, just a small increase in overall contrast, and a little sharpening. The sharp bright background remains.
    I now prefer the minimal edit, what do you think?
    cheers marty.
    P7064844sized.jpg
    P7064844 OR sized.JPG
    P7064844 MinEd sized.jpg

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Think I still prefer the first, but I'm a bit dull in the BG generally.
    It seems to highlight the flower a bit more. Can see where you're coming from though. A trap I'm falling into ATM is PP because you can. Starting to think less is more a bit.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I much prefer the first one.

I think the more you darken the tree branches the more the subject will 'POP'.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto to what Kev said. I find the brightness of the branches in the other 2 images a bit distracting.
    Cheers, Ann

60D, Canon 18-200mm, Canon Fisheye, Canon Macro, Canon 50mm prime, Tripod. Photoshop Elements, Picasa.

www.travellerspoint.com/users/aussirose www.flickr.com/aussirose

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the reason people suggested darkening the background was because it's very busy, and distracting. You can use light and colour and sharpness to draw the eye where you want. The problem you have it that there are lots of blown highlights in the background, which even when you darken it down, will only ever be white and distracting. It's a tricky lighting situation. Using a flash to balance subject and background better is one possible solution.
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Mark, Kev, Ann and Hamster, no dissent there. I am reassured.
    My query started when I hung a 8x10 framed print in the lounge. The overall effect of the picture seemed short of my expectation. I suspect that this means that editing for a print may be a separate skill set.
    cheers marty.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by martycon View Post
    I suspect that this means that editing for a print may be a separate skill set.
    Yep, time for another thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First one for me. Two and three take your eyes away from the subject, whereas one takes you straight to it.
    Peter
    Canon s3is, 2 x 50Ds, Canon 18-55is, Canon 55-250is, ef 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, Canon Nifty Fifty f/1.8,
    Sigma 70-200 f2.8 ex dg os hsm, Sigma APO 150-500 f5-6.3 dg os hsm
    tripod, monopod, 4 didgeridoo's.
    Two million years of evolution and I'm still a Homo ergaster.
    ttp://www.flickr.com/photos/mustymustang/

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I like the original or the last attempt to be honest. I have been taking photos for a while now I guess and used to edit the hell out of my photos as it seemed like the thing to do and many shots I killed by doing so. I then went through a phase of composite editing which I still do a little of but lately I wonder to myself, how much editing does a photo need if it is a good photo in camera. Hence the last few months I have been trying to edit only in LR CC and move into photoshop only for cloning and work that needs layers and photoshop tooling. I also finish editing a photo and then leave it till the next day and then view it again so some of the editing memory has gone from my head :-).
    More than often I find that I edit to a point and then roll back a tad - ie. sharpen to were I think it is good and then roll back a couple of notches.
    IMHO, I think some photos I do composite editing because they actually aren't a great photo to a degree. Having said this, all most all of us growing photographers are the same I believe and we should never critique out own work as we are far to hard of a critic ;-)
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think this needs a new thread somewhere else on AP. Great thoughts Mike.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikew09 View Post
    .. I have been taking photos for a while now I guess and used to edit the hell out of my photos as it seemed like the thing to do and many shots I killed by doing so. I then went through a phase of composite editing which I still do a little of but lately I wonder to myself, how much editing does a photo need if it is a good photo in camera. Hence the last few months I have been trying to edit only in LR CC and move into photoshop only for cloning and work that needs layers and photoshop tooling. I also finish editing a photo and then leave it till the next day and then view it again so some of the editing memory has gone from my head :-).
    More than often I find that I edit to a point and then roll back a tad - ie. sharpen to were I think it is good and then roll back a couple of notches.
    IMHO, I think some photos I do composite editing because they actually aren't a great photo to a degree. Having said this, all most all of us growing photographers are the same I believe and we should never critique out own work as we are far to hard of a critic ;-)
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.