User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  22
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: High ISO images from D500

  1. #1
    Who let the rabble in? Lance B's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Aug 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    7,726
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    High ISO images from D500

    A few more highish ISO noise examples all taken with the 200-500 f5.6 VR.

    Run through Noiseware noise reduction in PP.

    I'd say more than acceptible for ISO45,600

    1,100sec, f7.1, ISO45,600 handheld.



    1,200sec, f8, ISO7,200 handheld.



    1,320sec, f8, ISO4,000 handheld.



    1,200sec, f8, ISO2,000 handheld.



    1,200sec, f8, ISO9,000 handheld.



    1/320sec, f8, ISO14,400

    Last edited by Lance B; 30-04-2016 at 10:41am.

  2. #2
    Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Join Date
    18 Sep 2009
    Location
    Nthn Sydney
    Posts
    15,107
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UCH! My neck hurts from shaking my head in disbelief.
    So shooting through a lenscap is a serious option, then
    CC, Image editing OK.

  3. #3
    Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter
    Lance B's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Aug 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    7,726
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    UCH! My neck hurts from shaking my head in disbelief.
    So shooting through a lenscap is a serious option, then
    LOL. Thank you very much for your kind comment, AM. Much appreciated!

    Lenscap here I come, LOL.

  4. #4
    Ausphotography Regular thegrump's Avatar
    Join Date
    29 Jul 2015
    Location
    Greensborough
    Posts
    1,289
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lance .... All my photos are full of noise, even at low ISO, and running though noise reduction. GREAT images, I am certainly impressed.
    I have been taking photos for 50 years. I am now trying to get into Photography


  5. #5
    A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Jun 2006
    Location
    the worst house, in the best street
    Posts
    7,744
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great stuff Lance.
    Making it harder to resist actually .. and resist is what I currently need to do(other stuff about to come, so limited $s!)
    ISO45000 is quite amazing in that some detail(any detail) is still clearly visible.

    Have downloaded all the DPR images to compare with other cameras(Nikon) as well, and to compare against what cameras I have!
    Massive benefits of IQ .. not to mention the AF and vf improvements.
    Those two are my main points of interest. Vf quality compared to the D810/D3/D4 if possible. Although makes no difference really, I'll head into a shop one day soon and compare to my D300 to see if there's any imp


    Quote Originally Posted by thegrump View Post
    Lance .... All my photos are full of noise, even at low ISO, and running though noise reduction.....
    TG! I reckon you have a process issue. Low ISO even on the D3100 should be good always.
    From what I've seen of the D3100 it should give you good quality up to about ISO1600/ISO3200 ... maybe even ISO6400 if careful.

    Processes after the shot are crucial to extracting maximum IQ from the images too tho!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon} -> 50/1.2 : 500/8(CPU'd) : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8ais : 105mm f/1.8ais : 24mm/2ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC


  6. #6
    Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter
    Lance B's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Aug 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    7,726
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thegrump View Post
    Lance .... All my photos are full of noise, even at low ISO, and running though noise reduction. GREAT images, I am certainly impressed.
    Thank you very much, TG.

    As Arthur states, there would be something amiss with your post processing as you should get decent IQ to ISO160, if not ISO3200 and at a pinch ISO6400.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Great stuff Lance.
    Making it harder to resist actually .. and resist is what I currently need to do(other stuff about to come, so limited $s!)
    ISO45000 is quite amazing in that some detail(any detail) is still clearly visible.

    Have downloaded all the DPR images to compare with other cameras(Nikon) as well, and to compare against what cameras I have!
    Massive benefits of IQ .. not to mention the AF and vf improvements.
    Those two are my main points of interest. Vf quality compared to the D810/D3/D4 if possible. Although makes no difference really, I'll head into a shop one day soon and compare to my D300 to see if there's any imp
    Thank you very much, Arthur.

    VF? Do you mean Viewfinder?

  7. #7
    Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Join Date
    18 Sep 2009
    Location
    Nthn Sydney
    Posts
    15,107
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    --And that pinch would only be that you give it some good (ie, a tad over) exposure at ISO 3200.

  8. #8
    Ausphotography Addict feathers's Avatar
    Join Date
    05 Oct 2013
    Location
    cooktown
    Posts
    4,392
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's very impressive Lance

  9. #9
    Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter
    Lance B's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Aug 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    7,726
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the previously posted images without noise reduction or sharpening applied. Still remarkably clean, IMO. High ISO Noise reduction tuned off in camera, only adjusted for exposure, WB and a bit of added saturation in post process, recuced for web and saved to jpeg.

    ISO7,200



    ISO4,000



    ISO9,000



    ISO14,400


  10. #10
    A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant mongo's Avatar
    Join Date
    21 Mar 2009
    Location
    Cronulla, Sydney
    Posts
    8,305
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the new camera Lance. The second set of images with no noise reduction or sharpening are truly a telling set of test images. The noise is impressively low for those high ISOs. Might consider this camera in future after it has been out for a while. It should be very good for long lenses to be even longer. Would like to see it in the flesh some time soon. Very big thanks for posting this thread and images
    Nikon and Pentax user



  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    22 Jul 2013
    Location
    Rutherglen
    Posts
    368
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lance - these images speak volumes not only for the camera (and the lens) as evidenced by the second set, but also for the photographer. The detail in #5 in the first set (coming from #4 in the second) is a fantastic result.

    Cheers

  12. #12
    Ausphotography Regular J.davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    17 Dec 2008
    Location
    Willowbank
    Posts
    1,088
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to see real world subjects, how does it go when the light is dappled and the subjects are on the run.
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

  13. #13
    Carpe Diem... Gazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Mar 2013
    Location
    Boring Birdwoodton
    Posts
    5,553
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's impressive stuff alright, Lance -

    It's time to re-think my attitude about keeping the ISO as low as possible all the time
    Hope the 7D can deliver results ½ as good as these....
    You don't take a photograph, you make it ~ Ansel Adams
    CC more than welcome, (I can't be offended) and feel free to post your ideas with an edit if ya have the time. Thanks......


  14. #14
    Member greepo's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Apr 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where did you get the D500? Is it out here?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Ausphotography Regular K10D's Avatar
    Join Date
    06 Sep 2010
    Location
    Baldivis, 6171
    Posts
    521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really good work Lance and thanks for posting. It's impressive.

    Best regards

  16. #16
    D750 Shines cupic's Avatar
    Join Date
    10 Oct 2009
    Location
    Wollongong
    Posts
    759
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nikon have come a long way with the D300s to D500 and the noise is almost not applicable
    The 200-500 works a treat with the Nikon pro Dx
    Still the price is higher than the D750 so wait is a virtue

    TFS

    cheers



    Pentax K20D:Tamron 90mm f/2.8
    Nikon D750,D700,D300s,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR,Nikkor 70mm-200mm f/2.8 VR, Nikkor 70mm-300mm VR, 35mm f/1.8, 50mm D f/1.8, 85mm D f/1.8, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di

  17. #17
    Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter
    Lance B's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Aug 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    7,726
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by greepo View Post
    Where did you get the D500? Is it out here?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From Nikon on Broadway, Sydney.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by K10D View Post
    Really good work Lance and thanks for posting. It's impressive.

    Best regards
    Thank you very much.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by cupic View Post
    Nikon have come a long way with the D300s to D500 and the noise is almost not applicable
    The 200-500 works a treat with the Nikon pro Dx
    Still the price is higher than the D750 so wait is a virtue

    TFS

    cheers
    The D500 + 200-500 combo is a gem, it is faster to focus than my D810.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    That's impressive stuff alright, Lance -

    It's time to re-think my attitude about keeping the ISO as low as possible all the time
    Hope the 7D can deliver results ½ as good as these....
    Thanks Gazza.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by J.davis View Post
    I would like to see real world subjects, how does it go when the light is dappled and the subjects are on the run.
    Haven't had a chance to get out and try it on BIF yet, but my guess it will be better than the D810 as the AF is better. I avoid dappled light subject matter as it will never end up being a decent photo no matter what.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCat View Post
    Lance - these images speak volumes not only for the camera (and the lens) as evidenced by the second set, but also for the photographer. The detail in #5 in the first set (coming from #4 in the second) is a fantastic result.

    Cheers
    Thank you for your kind comments, Jimmy. Much appreciated.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Congrats on the new camera Lance. The second set of images with no noise reduction or sharpening are truly a telling set of test images. The noise is impressively low for those high ISOs. Might consider this camera in future after it has been out for a while. It should be very good for long lenses to be even longer. Would like to see it in the flesh some time soon. Very big thanks for posting this thread and images
    Thank you very much, Mongo. Much appreciated. When I can finally get out with you one day (so much work on these days), you can give it a good trial and see for yourself. It's a brilliant camera.

  18. #18
    Member bconolly's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Sep 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    342
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazingly low noise Lance! Great shots as well. Thanks for sharing! Certainly makes the DX / FX decision on noise alone a toughy!

    Brenden
    Olympus OM-D EM-1, 12-40mm f2.8, 45mm f1.8, Panny 25mm f1.7

  19. #19
    Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter
    Lance B's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Aug 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    7,726
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bconolly View Post
    Amazingly low noise Lance! Great shots as well. Thanks for sharing! Certainly makes the DX / FX decision on noise alone a toughy!

    Brenden
    Thank you very much for your lovely comments, Brenden. Much appreciated.

    I think the DX/FX debate takes a turn at every new camera model. FX is generally a stop better at high ISO, but then the next DX comes along and alters that "rule of thumb" until the next iteration of FX. The real benefit of this camera is more that it is a pro spec body and is basically an extension of the FX pro spec camera, all the buttons etc are all in the same places and thus makes it easy to swap from my D810 to D500 withgough mixing up buttons. Added to that, the sp[eed with which it operates really makes it easy to get quality photos, the camera gets out of the way of getting the shot.

  20. #20
    Ausphotography Regular NRandall's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Dec 2013
    Location
    Leopold
    Posts
    1,011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the amazing new camera. Your results are fantastic. It seems we have evolved pretty well beyond the capacity of normal human vision with these new sensors.
    Not complaining yet
    Main Body D800E plus a bunch of other Nikon stuff
    "The eye sees what it wants to see and the camera sees the rest" Nick

    sapiens populus eo per camelus


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •