Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Bad news - digital version of EOS magazine on my iPad

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bad news - digital version of EOS magazine on my iPad

For the last few years, I have been reading a digital version of EOS magazine on my iPad.

I recently had a problem with a subscription renewal which resulted in my not being able to access previously purchased and downloaded editions of the magazine, the earliest being Oct-Dec 2008.

After contacting the Support Desk, I was informed that:

“Unfortunately yes, you do need a valid subscription. We do apologise for this! I totally understand your frustration.

Is this common for digital subscriptions in general? If so, I’ll revert to purchasing paper copies that I can keep in my magazine rack and read at my leisure, without passwords and a perpetual EOS magazine hand-in-my-pocket taking my cash.

Cheers

Dennis

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I imagine that in a supine or prostrate horizontal position is not how you're going to take this?
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    So I imagine that in a supine or prostrate horizontal position is not how you're going to take this?
    Hi Am

I’ll just let the current subscription run its course and not renew it. Any pages that I want for reference will be captured as screen prints so I can access them when they close the door on me at the end of the subscription.

I’ll check that when I delete the EOS Magazine App, it also deletes the non-functional dead copies off my iPad.

That’s about all I can do – maybe I should have read the T&C’s – no doubt this unpalatable form of digital blackmail is spelt out in there somewhere!

Cheers

Dennis

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [Headshake]Boy, oh boy! Do Angry Birds spit CHIRPS!?[/Headshake]

Can I point you to a handy - but not unique - PDF printer: Foxit Reader.

Download and install the Full-Featured-Foxit-Phantom for a month as well. They install a software printer as well as acting like Adobe reader.
    Make your own PDFs from web pages.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little more research has revealed that I do not “own” any of my digital content, such as books and magazines and that once I cancel a subscription to the “Reader App” that I use to access and read the digital content, all the content that I had previously purchased cannot be accessed.

Effectively, in “old world terms”, it would be as if the publisher came into my house and emptied my book shelves and magazine racks of all paper copies I had previously purchased.

As I find this unpalatable, I will be cancelling all my subscriptions as I do not want a relationship with any provider that shackles me in this way, for what is non-essential, recreational material.

An important lesson learned.

Cheers

Dennis

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well's head!

(Say with elision for proper sound)