Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8

Thread: What it is to be a Pom !

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What it is to be a Pom !

Despite being a lifetime Ozzie, as a British born emigrant I never lose sight of what it is to be a Pom, which as all fellow Poms will know revolves around true Pommy eccentricity!

This has been characterised by a national competition held in the UK to name their latest Polar Exploration Vessel, a scientific arctic ship currently without a name.

Various names were suggested and voted on including RRS David Attenborough and a number of other historical figures of renown. None of these came within a bull's roar of the eventual winner which, in true British style was "RSS Boaty Boatface".

In fourth place was RSS It's Bloody Cold Here" with another choice being "RSS What Iceberg?"

The organisers of the on-line poll might have heeded a previous poll run by Green Peace to name a pod of whales. The winner there was "Mr Splashy Pants".

Ahhhhh ... what it is to be a Pom .....

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LAWD ha'mmercyonus!!

The EU should vote to kick them OWT

In that case gimmie a whingin' Pom annyday
    Last edited by ameerat42; 18-04-2016 at 3:29pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I vaguely remember reading about this RSS Boaty Boatface business. Was a bit conflicted. Am I glad I am or am not a pom. On one level rather amusing. Pretty bloody dumb name though.
    RSS MarkT BobL? Suppose that could be the name of their next new icebreaker. (BobL, BobL is the sound it makes as it sinks).

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I "voyagely" remember hearing that [I think the British minister for transport] has the final say on the name and
    is likely to give "Boaty" the Bootie - ops!
    Last edited by ameerat42; 19-04-2016 at 10:47am. Reason: Fix meaningless drivel through omission :)

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Am I glad I am or am not a pom. On one level rather amusing. Pretty bloody dumb name though.
    I just figure it's a nice change from stories of terrorism, politics, murders, Clive Palmer etc etc. A bit of harmless insanity is much better, and the Poms are pretty good at that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its that insanity that makes us so great !!

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruski View Post
    Its that insanity that makes us so great !!
    Very true ... although on the World Aesthetic Scale of Human Attractiveness we don't register at all! (With the exception of Elizabeth Hurley). Walking the streets of Britain I am amazed at how such an aesthetically challenged race manage to have such a high rate of STDs .... must be the dark winter's nights.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    the winning entry was actually called "RSS Boaty McBoatface". The added Mc, giving it decidedly Scottish feel.

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...esearch-vessel

and whilst the organisers did not use the winning name from the poll for the ships name, they did use it:

"We are proud to announce that the selected name of the new £200m Pound Polar Research Ship, launching in 2019 is the RRS Sir David Attenborough. It is a fitting tribute to a man who has done so much to explain the wonders of the natural world to all of us. The name Boaty McBoatface will live on as the name of the ship's high-tech remotely operated sub-sea vehicle. We'd like to say a huge thank you to everyone who suggested names, shared tweets and got involved with the #NameOurShip campaign." Ref: https://nameourship.nerc.ac.uk/
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What else is there to do on a dark winter's night Bob apart from watching Coronation Street !
    Last edited by Ruski; 28-05-2016 at 7:29pm.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruski View Post
    What else is there to do on a dark winter's night Bob apart from watching Coronation Street !
    From what I've seen on the telly about the poms of today, you either get plastered at the local pub, or you sit in the waiting room of the local STD clinic. Failing that you just hang around waiting for the ambulance to take you to casualty!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You forgot to add one sordid ingredient, Bob: we feed them our "Neighbours"!!

Now if we'd won the name-the-boat comp, it'd probably be with "Tinny Tin-face", with a few more tinnies
    stowed below deck