Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Photography Workshops/Tours

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photography Workshops/Tours

Hi All

I would love to do a Photography tour with a professional photographer eg Mark Gray, Ken Duncan etc. For multiple reasons, obviously the photographic element and tuition but also the experience of seeing a new country.

I was just wondering if anyone had ever been on one of these tours before and could tell me what they are like? Did you have a good time, was it everything you hoped it would be?

Im looking at doing one next year with Mark Gray to NZ but would love some feed back from someone who has done one of his trips before...feel free to message me with your response. I only ask as its a lot of money for me so I want to make sure im going with the right person.

Cheers

Peta

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have not done any of these, but enter our udesignphototours competition and you could win a $10K photo tour. Just click on the competitions tab across the top of the site, more details here
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ask me at the end of June . In May , I'm doing a 10 day trip along the Gibb River Road in the Kimberleys with Tom Putt at Inspired Landscapes . It's my first one I've done so I'm also interested to see how I will enjoy it .
    The name is Brad ......

OMD EM-1, OMD EM-5MkII, m.Zuiko 12-40mm Pro f2.8, m.Zuiko 40-150mm f2.8 Pro , m.Zuiko 60mm f2.8 Macro, m.Zuiko 17mm f1.8 , Lee Filters

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Other than taking you to new places, I'm a bit interested why some want to pay to learn photography this way? Brad may tell me why, but surely he can find tours to take him to the same places cheaper? He doesn't need to be told how to compose and expose a photo? (yeah, and you may not be at the right place at the right time for the right light without the tour taking you there)
    You may even learn some things by posting a photo or two on AP and see what CC you get Peta?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Other than taking you to new places, I'm a bit interested why some want to pay to learn photography this way? Brad may tell me why, but surely he can find tours to take him to the same places cheaper? He doesn't need to be told how to compose and expose a photo? (yeah, and you may not be at the right place at the right time for the right light without the tour taking you there)
    You may even learn some things by posting a photo or two on AP and see what CC you get Peta?
    This is the first of these I have done , so I do not know if it will be the first of many or the last I ever do . A few attractions for me were:

1. Unlike a standard tour this is designed around the hours when photography is at its best - i.e. sunrise and sunset. While we are out photographing at these times a standard tour would expect you to be standing in the buffet queue for breakfast or dinner.

2. I could have done it myself , but with limited time people experienced in the area know where to go and where to be at the right times of the day

3. It was not really any cheaper doing it my self . I fould in this part of the world you need to hire a 4WD and hiring these is expensive . One way hire fees are onerous if you just want to go one way. Plus accomodation options are very limited and they know it so they charge accordingly . The tour can share cost like more than one to a vehicle , share fuel and other costs so it works out to be not much more expensive and you get the benefit of a couple of experienced photographers . There is always something to learn.

Still a few places left if anyone wants to come along the Gibb River Road in May.