User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Still Life .... is any movement allowed ?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still Life .... is any movement allowed ?

I've just been pondering a number of potential "Still Life" subjects for a forthcoming competition. I want something more interesting that a bowl of fruit.

Some of these involve a certain amount of smoke or fumes. For example, a candle which has just been extinguished and the residual plume of smoke is still rising from the wick (might look good against a black background).

The question is ..... does this qualify as "Still Life" ??? Or does the movement inherent in the smoke disqualify it? Any views on this?

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm! Good point.
    Perhaps you should start by calling me ORTHODOX...
    OK, I'll tell you why - and this is NOT an answer to your Q*.

Traditionally, Still Life meant [representations of] things that were once living, or that harboured
    living things: fruit (the bowl was just a convenience), seashells, flowers,...

*This is:
    Now, the meaning is much wider, so... (and there was the dratted bowl, don't forget) since the components
    of a candle were once associated with living things...

(Too much smoke)
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Hm! Good point.
    Perhaps you should start by calling me ORTHODOX...
    OK, I'll tell you why - and this is NOT an answer to your Q*.

Sounds like a smoke screen to me !!

(actually ... if it was a wooden bowl, that was once living!)
    Last edited by bobt; 01-04-2016 at 1:29pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It matters more how the judges understand a "still life". Can you contact the competition organisers for clarification / definition?

Alternatively take a picture of council road workers....
    Gear: Panasonic Lumix FZ200 / Huawei Mate 20 / LR 5, PSE 12, Da Vinci resolve

"I may be crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by landyvlad View Post
    It matters more how the judges understand a "still life". Can you contact the competition organisers for clarification / definition?

Alternatively take a picture of council road workers....
    Yeah .... in recent times most clubs go with the "it's your interpretation" philosophy. I tend to agree actually, having been involved in that debate numerous times. Even judges are a right pain - some narrower than Donald Trump's mind (and I use the term loosely), and some who accept anything at all!

Might be better off with the council workers .... or politicians ... or ...... so many choices!

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    Yeah .... in recent times most clubs go with the "it's your interpretation" philosophy. I tend to agree actually, having been involved in that debate numerous times.
    Unfortunately it still comes down to what the judges judge as still life.
    Some may consider what you propose as not still life, but if it has still subjects and ............
    You should be used to entering photos in those comps that a are a bit different Bob. You don't have to win, so get the smoke going.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Unfortunately it still comes down to what the judges judge as still life.
    Some may consider what you propose as not still life, but if it has still subjects and ............
    You should be used to entering photos in those comps that a are a bit different Bob. You don't have to win, so get the smoke going.
    Ain't it the truth! Judges are one of the reasons I don't bother with prints any more. They are so erratic it becomes a bit of a lottery - I call it Complotto.

Don't have to win???? I know some who would consider that heresy! Winning is everything to some ..... personally I couldn't give a rats, so you're right - I should just enter what turns me on rather than the judge.

This is a new club (for me) and they only have one Open for the whole year - the rest are Set Subjects. Haven't struck that before.