User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: Any herpetologists in the house?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any herpetologists in the house?

Last nights rain brought out lots of frogs where I'm staying down in SW WA. It looked like I found at least four different species, and I know the first is a motorbike frog, but it can be hard to tell when they're small. Anyone able to ID the others?
    All taken with an iPhone as, in the conditions (one handed, no macro lens....) it was the best tool for the job.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1459080521.926844.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1459080556.410291.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1459080588.411748.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1459080625.747778.jpg
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lovely critters you may be able to find the ID on this link https://frogs.org.au/frogs/of/Western_Australia/

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Looks like the second is a Slender Tree Frog and the third a Pobblebonk/Western Banjo Frog (I prefer Pobblebonk :-)). The last one may be too young to easily identify.

Going Cold Blooded
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top is a young motorbike frog for sure, they do get up to 7cm: http://museum.wa.gov.au/explore/frog...motorbike-frog

The middle image is a Slender Tree Frog: http://museum.wa.gov.au/explore/frog...nder-tree-frog

The third definitely looks like a young Western Banjo (and these guys get up to 7cm as well): http://museum.wa.gov.au/explore/frog...ern-banjo-frog

I would dare say the last is a younger slender tree frog
    Canon 7D Mark II

Adam Brice

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's amazing Adam.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Adam. Funnily enough I was just looking at these the other day and thinking the last one looks like a slender tree frog. From the shape of the head mainly.
    I love the motorbike frog (not just because I'm a rider too ;-)) but because they're like jewelled broaches when the light catches them.

Going Cold Blooded
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    Thanks Adam. Funnily enough I was just looking at these the other day and thinking the last one looks like a slender tree frog. From the shape of the head mainly.
    I love the motorbike frog (not just because I'm a rider too ;-)) but because they're like jewelled broaches when the light catches them.
    Haha yeah - they're a four-stroke thumper!

Motorbike frogs generally dominate most ponds - purely because they will eat smaller frogs (including their own species) and they can be extremely loud when there a large populations! They're actually a tree frog too but don't often climb very high (1m on average) - Love frogs and aiming to photograph more this season! Have to head out and find a few of our large burrowing ones!

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by outstar79 View Post
    Haha yeah - they're a four-stroke thumper!

Motorbike frogs generally dominate most ponds - purely because they will eat smaller frogs (including their own species) and they can be extremely loud when there a large populations! They're actually a tree frog too but don't often climb very high (1m on average) - Love frogs and aiming to photograph more this season! Have to head out and find a few of our large burrowing ones!
    Don't get them in my pond though .