Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Google Nik collection of Plug-Ins available free for download

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Google Nik collection of Plug-Ins available free for download

The Google Nik collection of Plug-Ins looks like it’s now available free for download.

https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

Cheers

Dennis
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You beat me to it Dennis. I was just about to post the same message.
    CAMERA: Nikon D800, Nikon D7000
    LENSES: AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro, Sigma 10 - 20mm F/4 - 5.6, Sigma 150 - 500mm F/5 - 6.3 APO DG OS, Nikkor 18 - 200mm F/3.5 - 5.6 VRII,
    Sigma 70 - 200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron SP 24 - 70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX DG, Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm F/4 ED VR, Nikkor AF-S 200-500 f/5..6E ED VR
    MY WEBSITES: www.nawimages.com, http://nelliewajzerphotography.smugmug.com/, http://NellieWajzerPhotography.blogspot.com

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NikonNellie View Post
    You beat me to it Dennis. I was just about to post the same message.
    No worries Narelle, it’s good to see the community looking after each other and sharing the good stuff.

Cheers

Dennis

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I'm out in the sticks right now so can't get that link to load. Is this a short term offer?
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    Sorry, I'm out in the sticks right now so can't get that link to load. Is this a short term offer?
    What I have posted above is pretty much all there is on the website, but reading between the lines, I would be surprised if the offer ended soon.

Cheers

Dennis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    From what I can tell it will remain free.

Quote Originally Posted by nardes View Post
    What I have posted above is pretty much all there is on the website, but reading between the lines, I would be surprised if the offer ended soon.

Cheers

Dennis
    It will remain free by the looks of it.

I'm also grabbing it I have used trials in the past and it did look good.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So is there a new version coming and they're giving the old one away to try and get people hooked?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it means further development of the Nik series is over. What you get is all you'll have.

They'll put the tech into something new and flog that.

But I could be just a cynical bloke.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be warned folks. For those with bandwidth limits, the download is somewhere over 230 MB.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendo09 View Post
    I think it means further development of the Nik series is over. What you get is all you'll have.

They'll put the tech into something new and flog that.

But I could be just a cynical bloke.
    I think that your cynicism is actually spot on Brendo.

Google took over Nik quite a while ago and gave away the Special Efex software soon after.
    To their credit though, recently I installed my editing software on a new pc and could not find the authentication code for the version of the Nik filters that I have but an email to google got a response within days with an activation code despite me buying the filter set before google took over the show.

The U Point tech within the Nik software is extremely good ( does away with layers and associated stuff from a$obe ) and I think that we may see an editing package from google to rival l/room / ps as google are on a mission to be the biggest and best at everything.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonk0 View Post
    From what I can tell it will remain free ......
    If you take this section of the site into consideration:

If you purchased the Nik Collection in 2016, you will receive a full refund, which we’ll automatically issue back to you in the coming days.
    I think Gonk0's comment must be 101% accurate.
    It would make for a very complicated process to make it a free trial for a defined period AND issue refunds to folks that only recently purchased it.
    Considering the refund comment, one could only come to the conclusion that it's now free to use forever.

My thoughts and sympathies go out to those that purchased in on Dec 31st last year tho!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad. Nik was an excellent product. It's such a shame that they are not doing anything with it. If you are only going to shut down development, why buy it?

(I discount suggestions that they plan to produce a Photoshop or Lightrom rival. That would be a huge task with a vast amount of detail work in it and Google don't generally go in for that sort of thing - they don't mind big and expensive but they like it quick and simple. In any case, a "Googleshop" product would no doubt come with terms, conditions and features such that no-one not already chained down naked in a brightly lit cell with 360 degree 24-hour surveillance coverage running would find intrusive.)

I had once looked forward to much-needed improvements to the Nik suite. It works brilliantly when it works, but it is buggy and can be very slow. (Not that anything on Photoslug is terribly fast.) These are never going to happen now. Sad.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is being made free for PC for the same reason Windows 10 is now free.

It is to make the product part of your world and entice you to expand that usage into your mobile experience.

It follows Apples model that if you use their devices for home and about their is an advantage in familiarity and streamlining processes.

Constant update support for NIK's free PC version is doubtful, but I'm guessing there may be some that keeps it in step with the mobile editing development.
    Alternatively updates for the mobile version could come bundled with PC vers updates.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    I think it is being made free for PC for the same reason Windows 10 is now free...
    "now" ends in July 2016.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    It works brilliantly when it works, but it is buggy and can be very slow. (Not that anything on Photoslug is terribly fast.) These are never going to happen now. Sad.
    Nik in association with Nikon developed Capture NX ( in all versions ) and then Nik sold the filter set as a plug in for CNX. In all the time that I have had the filters installed there has never been a single issue with them as far as bugs or slowness.
    I think that you will find that when it is mated to A$obe products that the issues come to notice. I feel that as A$obe updated PS and LR they either didn't allow compatibility totally with the Nik product or conversely Nik didn't tweak their software to work with the newer versions of A$obe products.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    "now" ends in July 2016.
    Good point.

I have a feeling though that hard dead line to create some sense of urgency will in some way become a soft dead line close to the time.

Too many Win 7 users with a perfectly functional OS for their needs thinking, why not just ride out the 2020 Win7 service support.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scott Kelby on how some are P*ssed off http://scottkelby.com/google-awesome...erybodys-pisd/
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone tell me if my version 2 of Silver Efex pro will be effected by installing this?
    Asking because the free download is not indicated to be version 2 of either Silver Efex or Viveza for instance.

I have opted out of the install so far because it appeared to be a bundle only install not selective components.

I would still install if anyone can confirm that Silver Efex pro 2 will live happily along side a version 1 of the same plug in.

PS- for Window compatibility it says:

[top]Windows:

• Windows Vista®, Windows 7, Windows 8
    • Adobe Photoshop CS4 through CC 2015
    • Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 through 13 (apart from HDR Efex Pro 2, which is not compatible with Photoshop Elements)
    • Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 through 6/CC

Anyone tried it on Windows 10?
    Last edited by Dug; 26-03-2016 at 3:45pm.

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have now tried the google package on Imac using CS5. A very disappointed (but half expected) mixed bag of results. The only feature that works directly is Silver Efex Pro 2. All other features just return the message "could not complete command because there is a problem with the filter module interface".

Some bizarre results:-
    Trying the HDR feature in photoshop just causes photoshop to close down unexpectedly. However, using this feature through "automate" will allow you to use it for multi frame images but not for a single image.;

Trying to access these features through Bridge allows access to about 4 of the them but not the others.

Mongo has added the Google folder containing these features to the "plug-ins' folder in Photoshop preferences. They all appear there.

It all seems close but at the same time out of reach and not worth the trouble to spend hours trying to get the features to work (in Mongo's case in any event).

Some on overseas site have reported that all works even on CS6.......so what's going on with Mongo's set up ???
    Last edited by mongo; 26-03-2016 at 6:00pm.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    Can anyone tell me if my version 2 of Silver Efex pro will be effected by installing this?
    Asking because the free download is not indicated to be version 2 of either Silver Efex or Viveza for instance.

I have opted out of the install so far because it appeared to be a bundle only install not selective components.

I would still install if anyone can confirm that Silver Efex pro 2 will live happily along side a version 1 of the same plug in.

PS- for Window compatibility it says:

[top]Windows:

• Windows Vista®, Windows 7, Windows 8
    • Adobe Photoshop CS4 through CC 2015
    • Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 through 13 (apart from HDR Efex Pro 2, which is not compatible with Photoshop Elements)
    • Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 through 6/CC

Anyone tried it on Windows 10?
    I cannot comment on Silver Efex 1 & 2 but it looks like I have Analog Efex 1 & 2 co-existing.

I’m on CS6 and Win 7 Pro.

Cheers

Dennis
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast