User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Young Ringtail Possum loose in the house

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Young Ringtail Possum loose in the house

Last night around dusk, I was out the front of my property picking up some branches off the footpath. Suddenly there was a thud, less than a meter away from me on the concrete path. Looking down I saw a very young Ring tail, lying motionless. I picked it up and it opened it's eyes, so I raced it into the house and placed it in a ( sorry, Mary Anne ) box, with some old rags. Thinking it most likely was injured from it's fall, I rang the vet, but they just put me off, saying they would only take it if it was injured. I kept it over night in the computer room, and i could here the occasional scratching coming from the box. This morning when I woke I jumped on line and the possum was still giving the occasional scratching. I decided it was time to let it go, so I took the box to the base of the tree from which it fell and opened it. Alas! no possum. Now my computer room is also the junk room and houses my massive rock collection, my massive stamp collection and a collection of 100's of 1000's of Met tickets. It also contains many boxes and book cases. No where to start. My first quick scan of the entire room did not locate said possum. Then a though came to me, the door has always been open. It could be anywhere in the house. At this stage I though, " hopeless looking for it, I will just have to wait until we here it. I do not know how it escaped from the box, as I had an elastic band around it and one of my stamp stock books standing on it. So does any one have a solution to my problem.
    I have been taking photos for 50 years. I am now trying to get into Photography

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thegrump View Post
    So does any one have a solution to my problem.
    Keep boxes containing possums outside.

Good on you for helping the animal. Hopefully it understand that one good turn deserves another and it's found it's way outside. Suppose you find out tonight. Let's hope there's no scratching sounds.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    found and released. I think it did know we were trying to help it. I was sitting at the computer and I heard some scratching from behind me, I looked around and saw it on the door frame, I just walked over and picked it up, no fuss, And mum showed up shortly after.

DSC_1056a.jpgDSC_1061a.jpg
    Last edited by thegrump; 23-03-2016 at 11:46pm. Reason: adition

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awwww
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a great story. We do have them around here but it's the Brushtails that are the ones that aren't backward in coming forward & ask for a feed. The beautiful thing has been when mother had baby on her back asking for a feed. It's a privilege to have these animals around (although people would not agree).

Thanks for the photo too.
    Last edited by Ross the fiddler; 27-03-2016 at 12:23am.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 12 (& Olympus Workspace).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lovely story TG and you have captured those beautiful eyes really well

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An excellent outcome Grump.

Mother and child reunited, and house not demolished.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'