User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Road trail motorbike tour Vietnam

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Road trail motorbike tour Vietnam

Just looking for some advice / ideas. I'm heading to the northern mountains of Vietnam for a 16 motorbike ride.

Our gear will be strapped to a rack on the back of the bike so I'm thinking of riding with a camera backpack with travel tripod on the side. The travel backpack I have has an easy access side zipper and rain cover. But I'm a little worried.

This region is gorgeous so I really want to take the filters particularly grads.

Anyone done something similar and able to offer tips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Regards

Wayne

Nikon D610, Samyang 24mm 1.4, Tamron 24-70 2.8, Nikkor 50mm 1.4G, Nikkor 70-300mm 4.5, Manfrotto & MeFOTO tripods, Ninja pano head & LEE filters

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A beautiful country and the northern mountains are stunning. We went in their wet season and were very lucky to only experience two tropical downpours - heavy but short in duration and once in a car the other waiting at an airport so didn't worry us at all. I think I'd want something more than the backpack's rain cover to ensure my gear didn't get wet, especially travelling on a bike. My Lowepro bag has a rain cover and I was walking through drizzly rain (also windy) at a fjord in NZ, used the rain cover, but on getting back to the car discovered some had got into the bag - luckily it hadn't affected the two lenses in there. Enjoy your trip, ride safely, and hope you get some amazing photos.
    Glenda

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that's what I'm worried about. Maybe I'll get some waterproof bags for the kit inside the bag?

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes and also some of those crystal sachets that prevent mould - the humidity can be stifling - more so in the south but also to a lesser extent in the north.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Lplates good tip mate

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to BCF and get some 'dry bags' best invention ever for motorcycle camping.
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.davis View Post
    Go to BCF and get some 'dry bags' best invention ever for motorcycle camping.
    Yep this is the way to go. I have taken my camera gear white water rafting, sailing and in zodiacs with these dry bags. The only disadvantage is they take longer to get out to take the shot so you need to watch the weather. If I was you I would get a larger one and drop my whole camera bag in there - that way it is just a matter of pulling the camera bag out of the dry bag rather than packing the camera itself in the dry bag in the camera bag.

Can also depend on the size bike you are using. This was my setup in 2010 riding around Australia with my camera in my padded tank bag

Last edited by Brian500au; 24-03-2016 at 12:04am.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian500au,
    Thanks for the advice that's what I will do. That's quite a setup on your bike