User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  32
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I seem to have a Cat problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mind cats as long as they're well marinated. Jokes.....
    Another problem they cause is when they crap in your garden, and the kids dig there and catch Toxoplasmosis, which ruins their eyesight. This is something which has happened in my family. So, take whatever measures are necessary to make your property safe.

Glen1
    Regards

Glen1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too many cats.....Not enough recipes

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Glen. That would be bad.

Our neighbour's then cat used to be discouraged by various noisy method I devised.

I would find it basking in the sun atop our tin garden shed, after it had transacted some business
    in our yard. The most effective result - akin to Kev's description of cat gymnastics above - was
    achieved by hitting a small stone against the side of the shed. The cat would usually not see or hear me,
    but it jumped and leapt for its life... - and disappeared from the yard until... usually only the next day.

Usual disclaimer: No tin sheds were unduly damaged in the scaring of this cat.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put it in a CAGE!!!!!!.

Ross
    Ross. Nikon D810, Nikon D300s, Nikkor 18-200, , Nikon 105mm Micro lens. Nikon 200-500mm lens

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Contact your local council and get a cage for trapping small animals such as cats or possums. Put some meat or sardines (they are best) in it and when you have trapped the cat take the cat to your local council animal control centre and make a donation.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post

My point is about the type of comment re "knowing the damage they cause to the local wildlife". I find this ironic when, in a suburban environment the damage to the local wildlife was far more extensive when man turned up and bulldozed the place to create the suburb, than any cat can do subsequent to that act.
    That's fair enough to some larger extent. But this thread was about birds. Birds are probably the best equipped of our native wildlife to deal with the changes we make to the environment. (how up in arms would I be if a cat killed a wombat in my front yard but that's not what Kev is concerned about.)
    Cats have an effect on the micro level. Kev used to have many small birds visit his yard, even after all the changes we made to the environment.
    New cat on the block. Many birds disappear. This happens for two reasons. Do not underestimate have many birds a single cat can kill and when other birds see a new cat that kills, mmm let's move somewhere else.
    Moth balls (or naphthalene of some sort, moth balls are naphthalene) around the boundary of your yard will discourage cats visiting Kev. It won't stop what's happening outside your yard. Maybe the birds will find sanctuary in your yard if they find the cat is excluded.
    (mmm, maybe get them moth balls circling much closer to where the cat lives. They do work and the cat should should really be staying at home.)

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I seem to have a Cat problem.

Yes Mark, I was talking about birds too (and other small animals like reptiles as they are a particular favourite of mine). And on a micro level I can see how someone seeing birds they like disappear would not be nice. I'm actually surprised they haven't come back yet as cats tend not to eradicate all birds. There are quite a few cats around us and still lots of bird life where I live. I particularly like watching the willy wagtails taking on the cats and winning. TBH, if I had the choice there'd be no cats (the cats are the wife's, but I am a lover of all animals :-)). But if I had a choice there'd also be no war, famine, poverty, religion or mosquitos :-).
    I think non cruel methods of controlling are fine, anything lethal, cruel or capturing and removing (in a suburban environment) is OTT given the man made context of the entire situation, as previously mentioned.
    Incidentally, I did hear that putting down naphthalene is a bad move from a polluting and poisoning POV, so it might be worth checking that one out if anyone is thinking of that.
    Last edited by Hamster; 19-03-2016 at 1:23pm.
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    Incidentally, I did hear that putting down naphthalene is a bad move from a polluting and poisoning POV, so it might be worth checking that one out if anyone is thinking of that.
    It is an organic compound so does break down (unless you dump a semi-trailers worth of the stuff around the house the cat lives in )
    Like many things in excess it can be poison to humans. Suspect the smell will deter most animals like cats.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm! It would seem that it does have deleterious effects.
    See these two links:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naphth...Health_effects
    and
    http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/naphgen.html
    Click on the 4th to 6th dot points on that link.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Hmm! It would seem that it does have deleterious effects.
    For humans, as your links point out.
    Why the heck were they ever allowed to sell them moth balls? Be careful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12