Thread: Basslink and Access to AP

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Basslink and Access to AP

Hi all,

Some of you maybe aware, some may not, and some may not even care

Due to a fault in the Basslink cable. Tassie is (1) running out of ability to produce enough power for the State and (2) had its 350GB per second fibre optic cable to the rest of the world severed as they try to repair Basslink, so the whole state is running off a Telstra 6GB per second backup cable.

So why am I telling you this? Cause at present I am running AP from about 1992. My internet speed tests this morning average 64.9kbps speed. It has taken me almost an hour to setup the next week's members challenge and the POTW that opens tonight. Still have to get the POTW winners stuff ready for the current comp being voted on by 8.30pm (wish me luck, it could take till 8.30pm to get it done).

So whilst I (and the rest of Tas) will be online, I might be only doing the stuff I have to, and not many comments on threads etc, cause it simply takes to long. Took about 15 minutes to open the current weekly challenge thread as I waited for all the photos to download.

So I will be around and if you need me, please send me a PM, but it might take a while for me to get back to you.

In the meantime if anyone has a really really really long bit of string and a couple of cans, I am on the lookout for an improved communication experience.
    Last edited by ricktas; 13-03-2016 at 8:53am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well... Those of us living in Australia feel for you.

Joking aside, this is a crazy situation in the 21st century.
    Not to have multiple redundant critical services is ridiculous in a modern western society
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Relax. The Greens will fix it!

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    Relax. The Greens will fix it!
    Suppose they're to blame for this happening in the first place?

Have fun Rick. Just imagine what life was like before this interweb thing ever happened. Most of us on AP wouldn't know about the others here on AP because, well there's no AP.
    (in sympathy for you Tassie members I'll type slower when posting here )

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Suppose they're to blame for this happening in the first place?
    Yes they are. I'm pretty sure that the last hydro-electric power station built in Tasmania was the one at Tulla called the McIntosh. I worked on that both building the dam and excavating the power tunnel back in 1979. Since then they have had to resort to gas-fired stations and importing power from coal-fired stations via the cable link Basslink mentioned by Rick. The wind farms aren't working for them either.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course the Greens are now bleating about the lack of electricity generation to the ABC.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes they are. I'm pretty sure that the last hydro-electric power station built in Tasmania was the one at Tulla called the McIntosh. I worked on that both building the dam and excavating the power tunnel back in 1979. ....
    The first greenie wasn't part of guvmint in Tasmania until January 1983 and they had no real influence on guvmint decision for a long time after that. So I don't think they decided much with the hydro stuff.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who do you think ran the "No Dams" campaign Mark?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course the Greens are now bleating about the lack of electricity generation to the ABC.
    The stuff from your link doesn't sound like bleating, it sounds like trying to get a plan (and no I don't generally vote for the greens).
    From your link, how is this bleating,
    ""The Tasmanian Greens are urging the State Government to outline a long-term plan to ensure the state's energy needs are met even if the broken Basslink cable is not fixed.
    Greens Leader Cassy O'Connor said she believed the Government needed to ramp up its renewable energy generation to ensure the state could cope without Basslink long term.
    "It's a contingency that the state needs to prepare itself for," she said.
    "Of course we want to see that Basslink fault identified and fixed at the earliest opportunity but it is only one part of the solution to Tasmania's future energy needs.""

Doesn't sound like bleating, it sounds like trying to get a plan (and no I don't generally vote for the greens). Ironic the Labor opposition leaders surname is Green.

Unfortunate those in tassie will have to what a few minutes or more to see what we a are saying Warbler.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S, a speedlite, a tripod, a monopod, a remote release and a padded bag to carry things in.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The protests over the proposed Lower Gordon Scheme were responsible for Hawke intervening, and not a single new hydro station has been constructed since then. Hydro is renewable and once construction is finished, is emission-free. Even wind turbines and electric cars produce emissions in the mining of their construction materials and their manufacture. What would you rather? Power shortages cannot be helping a State economy that is already weak.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who do you think ran the "No Dams" campaign Mark?
    That has nothing to do with making the decision to go hydro. They lost and now it's their problem that hydro is not delivering?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    That has nothing to do with making the decision to go hydro. They lost and now it's their problem that hydro is not delivering?
    What rubbish!

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hydro is not delivering because they sold the power to the mainland stressing the water supply. Govt got greedy.

News: http://www.itnews.com.au/news/iinet-...asmania-416825 Maybe iiNet and 'node will be ok this week.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kym,
    Extract from wiki:

The conservationists and the HEC in the 1980s acknowledged that there were a limited range of options for further power development schemes, and it was inevitable that the substantial workforce within the HEC specifically employed in the investigation and development of further dams would eventually become redundant.

Since the late 1990s HEC water storages have been progressively drawn down due to power demand exceeding long term supply, the overcoming of which was the original reason the Gordon-below-Franklin dam was proposed. The shortfall has been offset first by drawing down water storage and in latter years through increasing volumes of fossil fuel power generation, at first fuelled by oil and more recently by gas and, via the Basslink cable link to Victoria, coal.
    Last edited by Warbler; 13-03-2016 at 10:28pm.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nevertheless, the thread is in Site Matters, not Government Business.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basslink is connected to Loy Yang in Victoria and Georgetown in Tasmania. Power was always intended to travel both ways. Tasmania was to help with meeting peak loads in Victoria, and in return would benefit from excess base load from Victoria in off-peak conditions. Unfortunately Tasmania cannot meet all of its power consumption needs when water levels are low like now, so exporting might not be occurring right now if the cable wasn't out anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay. Missed your post as I was typing. When you're finished fiddling around in my profile, can you restore the bit of my signature that has now disappeared.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick.

It's a pain that the Tassie people are having to put up with this because of a lack of backup.

As has been said further back up the thread it's astounding that there isn't a second cable in place by now.

It's also a little surprising that it's taken this long to find the fault before they can begin fixing it (4 months for those on the mainland that isn't getting much coverage).

I gather Lake Pedder still isn't being drawn down, or at least wasn't when we came back north 2 weeks ago. Again a bit confusing.

I was also in the Corrina area for a few days and I get the impression that a proposed wind farm down there has been delayed as Hydro want to control all the power and not allow private generation. The plan is to collect to the grid at the Reece Dam power station. (Camped near there - well the caravan was set up near the dam - beautiful part of the world)

At least we did our bit in the 36 days we were down there, only 5 nights on mains power, the rest using our own re-newable power (solar)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one is messi g around with your profile,
    Signatures only show up in the first post to a thread, subsequent post's don't show signatures

- - - Updated - - -

Okay. Missed your post as I was typing. When you're finished fiddling around in my profile, can you restore the bit of my signature that has now disappeared.
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If we did not have basslink, we would have plenty of water to generate our own power. A lot has been said in this thread that is not factually correct and is political bias (bullshit). The dams were drained a great deal further than normal to supply Victoria about 2 years ago, when the $ of wholesale power was in Tassie's favour. The powers that be at the time thought they could make a lot of money, and they did. What they did not consider was not getting enough rain to refill the storage dams. Since the basslink cable broke in early December we have been creating enough power to power the state. If there was never Basslink at all, we would have plenty of power generation ability.

The issue is not the Greens or any other political party. The issue is Greed! By non Greens, who decided to sell power to Victoria and drain our storage dams. Now, without decent rain, those dams are down to about 16% capacity. If these Greeds had taken some time to consider the impact of draining the dams to supply Victoria, and considered the implications of such, then we would have plenty of water storage to generate power. We do not need more dams.

In 2013, the Hydro were in the media for their action, but they did not listen to the concerns and continued to drain the dams, for profit
    http://www.examiner.com.au/story/160...unsustainable/

The current situation is not Greens caused, it is Greed caused, for short term profit.
    Last edited by ricktas; 14-03-2016 at 8:18am.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you're finished fiddling around in my profile, can you restore the bit of my signature that has now disappeared.
    Que? Signatures only show once per memebr in a thread display.
    What has changed?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    The issue is not the Greens or any other political party. The issue is Greed!
    But surely a party is in guvmint and the govmint decided to get greedy. Maybe the oppositionist agreed?? Makes two greedy political parties.
    My mum is in Tassie ATM. Reckon she'd be glad if everything was rewound to the 1960s.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MarkChap View Post
    No one is messi g around with your profile,
    Signatures only show up in the first post to a thread, subsequent post's don't show signatures
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Que? Signatures only show once per memebr in a thread display.
    What has changed?
    That's what is supposed to happen and is happening in this thread. Bit it doesn't happen in all threads. Some yes, some no.
    At post#22 that I just made here http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...=1#post1347501 it shows my signature even though I'd previously posted to the thread. (maybe this should be a new site matters thred, but since it came up in this thread)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast