User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  20
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has Windows 10 re-intrroduced Crash Tuesday ??

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has Windows 10 re-intrroduced Crash Tuesday ??

Those of you who ran Vista, a misnomer if ever there was one, will remember Crash Tuesdays, the day MS picked to download patches.

You'd download the patches in good faith, and then spend weeks getting your system back into some semblance of order.

Today MS updated (?) my W10 O/S and it required a re-start. Upon restarting, instead of my usual desktop, I was presented with a log-on screen for Outlook, with my email address already entered. Huh ???

The only way I could get off that screen was to enter my Outlook password and then my normal desktop appeared. Now one would assume that one would already be logged into Outlook. Not so !

Seems like another pathetic attempt by MS to take complete control of your computer.

I'm very close to having a serious look at Ubuntu/Linux.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My Win 10 machines have done this for ages now. I just login and continue on my way. No different to having a password set (which I always have had).
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you set up a user account to log in to Windows (Kev)?
    It sounds like Win used your Outlook account - an MS acct - to do this,
    perHAps because you said to use an acct somewhere along the line...

Hmm! Conspiracy theories! Don't you recognise this as the TYPical Linux/Ubuntu PLOY
    to get you over to them
    Last edited by ameerat42; 10-03-2016 at 9:36am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto what Rick says.
    I've been logging in via my hotmail account from about day zero.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PS from above: You can switch this off easily enuff.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    PS from above: You can switch this off easily enuff.

Go to user accounts and there's a very easy to find setting to switch back to local account for login somewhere near the bottom of the main user page.

Like I said, I don't mind it and have been using the online login method since day 1 .. makes no real difference in actual usage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have not had a problem with W10, all updates are automatic. I don't even know what the on line login is.

Ross.
    Ross. Nikon D810, Nikon D300s, Nikkor 18-200, , Nikon 105mm Micro lens. Nikon 200-500mm lens

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There isn't one until you make one up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    I'm very close to having a serious look at Ubuntu/Linux.
    If you need any encouragement I'll be more than pleased to help.
    I'd suggest you install VirtualBox, and install your preferred Linux distro on that, then you can get a feel for it, as well as running the two concurrently and simply dragging and dropping files from one to the other.
    One thing to think about though is that some of your favourite Windows applications may not be available in Linux, although there will be a good alternative/lookalike.

Go for it

Cheers,
    Terry

Still in the Circle of Confusion
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm getting old, and probably crotchety, and maybe becoming resistant to change, but I think it is another insidious attempt by MS to gain total control of my computer.

Prior to yesterdays update I'd hit the power button and go straight to my desktop. Now I am offered some eye candy in the form of a new desktop background, click get rid of that, and now have to log on to my Microsoft A/c to access my computer.

The point is that I didn't change my settings, MS did, and that to me is bordering on invasion of privacy. And yes, I'm aware that heaps of settings are changed every time I install an update.

Oh, and how about MS now referring to themselves as 'We' as in "We have made some changes.....

"Big Brother IS watching you !!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm getting old, and probably crotchety, and maybe becoming resistant to change, but I think it is another insidious attempt by MS to gain total control of my computer.
    Hmm! It CAN'T be the one you bought yesterday

Prior to yesterdays update I'd hit the power button and go straight to my desktop. Now I am offered some eye candy in the form of a new desktop background, click get rid of that, and now have to log on to my Microsoft A/c to access my computer.
    See above. I got that update about 6 updates ago. Soon changed it back.

The point is that I didn't change my settings, MS did, and that to me is bordering on invasion of privacy. And yes, I'm aware that heaps of settings are changed every time I install an update.
    Since then [re point above] no other basic change to login.

Oh, and how about MS now referring to themselves as 'We' as in "We have made some changes.....

"Big Brother IS watching you !!
    Hw can you sleep at night?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yepp.. they get you when you 1st install/upgrade to W10 .. the default login they prompt and want to you use is your Outlook/Hotmail/Live account ..
    - Daz
    weathers good.. bird pics .... weathers bad .. storm pics..
    do or do not.. ...stop ya procrastinating!!!!
    Canon EOS 60D, Sigma 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 APO DG OS, EOS 300D, Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 IV, Canon EF 35-70mm 3.5-4.5, Canon EF 50mm 1.8

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
    yepp.. they get you when you 1st install/upgrade to W10 .. the default login they prompt and want to you use is your Outlook/Hotmail/Live account ..
    This just nevva happened to my 4 upgrades to Win 10. I didn't have one, and (from memory) did not elect/skipped past that option.
    (In fact, now that I think about it, I can't even remember seeing it until some updates later. Yes, it got set, but I quickly un-set it.)

You know the old remedy for keeping the MS vampires away? - Hang festoons of Apples around. Or Linux your halls with them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This just nevva happened to my 4 upgrades to Win 10. I didn't have one, and (from memory) did not elect/skipped past that option.
    (In fact, now that I think about it, I can't even remember seeing it until some updates later. Yes, it got set, but I quickly un-set it.)

You know the old remedy for keeping the MS vampires away? - Hang festoons of Apples around. Or Linux your halls with them
    Yeah .. when W10 1st came out I never saw it either ..

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm obviously 'Old School' and think that a request to make changes, with an explanation of their benefits, would be at least a little respectful to the user who has PAID to use their product.

Instead, MS make a high-handed announcement that "We have made some changes", with the unstated "and if you don't like them, tough, or waste some time trying to find out how to reverse them".

And yes, this is happening on my desktop which I upgraded (?) to W10 pretty soon after it was available. I guess I still have it to look forward to on my new laptop.

PS: My overview of the W10 desktop is that it's main design brief was to make you aware of all the paid Apps that you didn't realise that you couldn't live without.
    Last edited by Cage; 10-03-2016 at 2:39pm.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have implicitly done that - in their T & Cs.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have implicitly done that - in their T & Cs.
    Aha, the old 'fine print' comeback.

I'll take your word for it and won't bother looking for it.

And I'm seriously impressed that you have read the T&C's Am.
    Last edited by Cage; 10-03-2016 at 2:43pm.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kev, all our computers are staying at XP Pro and Win7 Pro until the end. I hope that either MS come to their senses (flaming unlikely ... ) or that someone develops a robust and standard OS that works. Vista was a real dog. Win8 was a real dog. It appears that Win10 is really quite bad for some (many?) people ... A friend accidentally "updated" his laptop to Win10, and it obligingly destroyed all access to his commercial web site data ... Fortunately he rang me, and I was able to talk him through the "downgrading" process successfully. Could have been really ugly, with about 6 months work down the tube.

WinNT used to be that robust, standardised OS, but MS kept "updating" it so that it is now firmly in Apple territory - a place where very little is compatible from one version to the next!

For just one tiny example, it used to be possible to convert web pages to PDF files very easily. It appears that the new protocols (such as HTML5, etc, etc ... ) have dispensed with that. Must have been a "security loophole" .
    Now I have to copy the part of the page I want to my (free) Canon printer software clipboard, then convert the pages to PDF from there. Now I wonder what I have Adobe Acrobat (full version) for ... .

Even colleagues in the computer support industry who are selling later versions of MS Office agree with me that Office Pro 2003 is the last stable version of Office. It can also be supported remotely, something that is very difficult to do with Office 2007/2010/2013. To their credit, MS have reintroduced menus in Office 2013 ... Ever tried talking people through an icon driven user interface? It can be extremely difficult ... .

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ewesually do*. You find they're not that long, and much of the wording is the same. They cover a few main areas, and some more or less verbose than others.

*These days, but particularly with MS W 10. -- But don't ask me to recite any ovvit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    For just one tiny example, it used to be possible to convert web pages to PDF files very easily. It appears that the new protocols (such as HTML5, etc, etc ... ) have dispensed with that. Must have been a "security loophole" .
    Now I have to copy the part of the page I want to my (free) Canon printer software clipboard, then convert the pages to PDF from there. Now I wonder what I have Adobe Acrobat (full version) for ... .

John.
    Are you saying that there's no facility for converting web pages to PDF? What about...
    this method? (Must admit I prefer Foxit Reader.)
    PrintPDF.jpg

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @John King

My first build was with ME, AKA 'Many Errors', and after my Amiga I thought it was OK 'cos I could get on the internet. I didn't know any better.

Changed to XP Pro and thought this was what an OS should be. Still do.

Then I went to Vista Home Premium 64bit, mainly to get access to more than 4GB of RAM. I'd call it a dog, but that would be unfair to our canine friends.

Couldn't wait to get W7 Pro 64bit after the horrors of Vista. Quite liked it, and probably should have stayed with it instead of upgrading to Bloatware Central.

With W10 the jury is still out, and possibly will be for a bloody long time, but my gut feeling is that I should have stayed with W7, at least till MS get it sorted.
    Last edited by Cage; 10-03-2016 at 3:56pm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast