Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 70-200mm - Which one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

70-200mm - Which one?

Okay, so I'm relatively new and bought both a Nikon d5200 and d3100, and already have three kit lenses (2 x 18mm-55mm and 1 x 55mm-300mm) plus a AF-S 35mm f1.8 and a manual 50mm f1.8.

I'm keen to thin the herd and stick the 35mm on the D3100 for good, and then stick the 70-200 on the D5200 and leave it there.

My photo's are usually of landscapes, in the daylight, or kids and pets, again in the daylight. Anything like a party or dinner or indoors can just use the 35mm.

The question I have is whether it's really worth going to the f2.8 versions from the manufacturers (Sigma, Tamron and Nikkor). The f4 versions of the lenses, with respective optical stabiliser, vibration reduction, vibration compensation, should be plenty for what I do... right?

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try it and find out.

But your "indoors [with the] 35mm" might leave you a bit squashed for space (ie FOV). You
    might find yourself reaching for the 18-55.

Does the 50/1.8 ever get a look-in? Would you ever take a portrait indoors? It would be good'
    for that.

Thin the herd after you've tried them ALL out.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendo09 View Post

The question I have is whether it's really worth going to the f2.8 versions from the manufacturers (Sigma, Tamron and Nikkor). The f4 versions of the lenses, with respective optical stabiliser, vibration reduction, vibration compensation, should be plenty for what I do... right?
    Apart from the obvious advantage of the f2.8 aperture, the f2.8 variants of the lens you mentioned are of a pro/semi-pro level, with a better quality build, weather sealing etc.

I have both the Tamron f2.8 24-70mm, and the f2.8 70-200mm, and can recommend them highly.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also a big fan of my Tamron 70-200 f2.8 - as photography is purely a hobby for me I couldn't justify the cost of the Nikon version. Personally I would want wider than 35mm for landscapes. I also have the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 which is also a good lens and would capably double for outdoor landscapes and indoor party/dinner shots.
    Glenda

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the useful post, Brendon -
    I've been thinking about a 70 - 200 for sometime, so I'll be following what others say here

Cheers ...
    If you replace the 'W' with 'T' in When, Where and What, you get the answer for each question.
    CC more than welcome. Remember, I can't be offended so go for it. Feel free to post your ideas with an edit if you have time. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Nikon 70-200 F4, its on my camera most of the time & I love it.
    Something to consider is the weight ..... I'm only little with small hands and find the Nikon manageable now, it was a bit of shock when i first got it though !!

Cargo
    Last edited by Cargo; 09-03-2016 at 7:20pm.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, l'm with Cargo and others. Love my tammy 70 - 200 f2.8. I've been a prime lens user mostly, and was surprised how good the image quality is from this lens
    The build quality is good too Cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

Oooops!.... didn't read Cargos thread properly still, we both love 70 - 200s

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the general consensus is...

The f2.8 version is great, people love it.

The f4 version is great, people love it.

The 17-50mm / 24-70mm lens range is a good all rounder, people love it.

Give them all a try and then see.

Ultimately I'm trying to talk myself out of wanting to spend $2000 on a hobby I have only just got interested in, when if my history is anything to be relied upon, I"ll be onto something new in 24 months.

I do agree about the 35mm not being wide enough for landscapes, but then do I really want to... what do I really want to do? Man, this was supposed to be something fun! I'm analysing my life away

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I played around yesterday with the 55-300 kit lens in very bright sunlight. Photo's came out looking okay from 200mm to full length, but zooming in on the computer screen they just weren't very finely detailed. IS that referring to a lens being 'soft'?

Anyway, I thought I'd try it out just to see if I could get by with it. Ideally I'd like to get more animals shots so getting a decent reach and a crisp shot is important.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I played around yesterday with the 55-300 kit lens in very bright sunlight. Photo's came out looking okay from 200mm to full length, but zooming in on the computer screen they just weren't very finely detailed. IS that referring to a lens being 'soft'?
    Unfortunately, yes.

Kit lens, generally, will produce great 'Happy Snaps', however most will reveal deficiencies if you start pixel peeping, ie looking at their output at 100%.

A 70-200mm f2.8 sounds ideal for you, and as you also mention landscapes may I suggest the Samyang 14mm f2.8. Well though of lens at a very reasonable price, and it's chipped for your Nikon.
    Last edited by Cage; 10-03-2016 at 3:41pm.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. It just refers to the image being soft. The reason could be anything, from lens to focus, processing...

Post up an image for fuller examination, with Exif intact if you can.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    No. It just refers to the image being soft. The reason could be anything, from lens to focus, processing...

Post up an image for fuller examination, with Exif intact if you can.
    We're both probably right Am.

There are certainly a multitude of factors that can affect the sharpness of an image, but generally a Pro/SemiPro lens will beat a kit lens almost every time, all factors being equal.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    Unfortunately, yes.

Kit lens, generally, will produce great 'Happy Snaps', however most will reveal deficiencies if you start pixel peeping, ie looking at their output at 100%.

A 70-200mm f2.8 sounds ideal for you, and as you also mention landscapes may I suggest the Samyang 14mm f2.8. Well though of lens at a very reasonable price, and it's chipped for your Nikon.
    Ken Rockwell doesn't like it... he gave the optics only two out of five potatoes.

Looks like I'm going to have to do some fundraising. Anyone want to buy a guitar or two?

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ken Rockwell doesn't like it... he gave the optics only two out of five potatoes.

Looks like I'm going to have to do some fundraising. Anyone want to buy a guitar or two?
    Ken Rockwell has in all likelihood never even had the lens in his hands.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kev. Up above. My "No" was in reply to the OP's post. Just timing, as you posted just before I did.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only comment on KR is that he comes across as very opinionated.

Have a look at these reviews:

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/s...s-review-19621

http://www.lenstip.com/239.1-Lens_re...roduction.html

Some real world users: http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...hp/product/505
    http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/Samyang-...C_lens604.html

There is also the well thought of Tamron 10-24mm if you think KR's word is gospel.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Ken Rockwell comment was tongue in cheek. I'm not in any way saying your thoughts on the Samyang lenses were out or line, sorry if that's how it came across.

That has, though, opened up another door into the rabbit hole. So many lenses...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Ken Rockwell comment was tongue in cheek. I'm not in any way saying your thoughts on the Samyang lenses were out or line, sorry if that's how it came across.

That has, though, opened up another door into the rabbit hole. So many lenses...
    No offence taken at all.

So you're looking for a lens in the Looking Glass room huh?

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!"

And don't ask the Mad Hatter for advice either.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the samyang 14mm, and absolutely love it.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The most probable answer to this is No!
    The answer could also be a yes too, but the probability of this is lower.

Main reason for those conflicting answers is that we have no idea on how you "played around" with this lens.
    Did it achieve focus? did you shoot primarily at high ISO ro slow shutter speed.
    The fact that you shot in bright light is a clue to the answer being yes, but there is no certainty of this, as we don't know if what you focused on was in shade or a darker area.

The other aspect to images not having detail in them in bright light, that many folks seem to forget is that exposure plays a large part of what we call sharpness(or detail) and that an over exposed image always looks less detailed in the over exposed area .. so was the image very bright ..

the correct answer to the question is so variable and the only real way to help you determine a proper answer is as Am said .. post some sample images of what you shot with the lens, and leave exif in tact, or at least post the main exif info details too.

ps. from what I know of this lens, as I was looking to get one for my son(who always complains of not enough zoom! ) it's OK at 300mm but needs to be set to f/6.3 or f/8 to give you some contrast in the image. You'd expect that tho of such a lens design. The more 'zoom' (focal length ratio) a lens has, the less likely it will have good contrast rendering mainly at the long end.

Set to f/8 and give the resultant image some USM and a bit more contrast, and for many folks this would be enough IQ.

I decided not to get the lens, only because it was too expensive for what it really was(I think they're a lot cheaper now after a couple of years in production).

Nikon's 70-300VR lens is a lot better in IQ terms at 300mm(you'd expect that to be true considering the focal length zoom factor too). They seem to sell for around $500-600 I think.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast