User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  15

Thread: The Little Bits and Pieces

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Little Bits and Pieces

Okay, so I've been playing this game for a few months now, and I"ve got a couple of things to run past everybody to see if there are better ways of doing things to get the same result.

First
    I have already accumulated a half dozen lenses. I'm also negotionating on a sigma OS 70-200, which will take up some space. I have boxes and loose things lying around in the wardrobe, and my dearly beloved is starting to give me that look that I really aren't keen on receiving.

I thought my most practical solution to store everything in was a good backpack. I'm bidding on a used Lowepro Runner 350 which looks to have enough storage for a lot of my gear, and some of it (the lesser lenses) will probably get either eBayed or given away.

Is this a practical solution to storage of all the knick-nacks?

Second
    Lens cleaning fluid. Do I need it? Is it the same as the stuff for eyeglasses? I bought a cleaning kit (blower, brush, tissue and a lens eraser leather spot thingo) and they gave me a bottle with a squirter on the top to put the fluid in... but no fluid. DO I get some, or not?

Third
    I bought a 17-50mm f2.8 Tamron lens without Image Stabilisation. This will be an outdoor good light everyday lens. I have a 35mm f1.8 Nikkor with VR for low light indoors stuff.

Is this 17-50 going to be a dog to shoot with and get good images without blur? Have I blown my $200? It wouldn't be the first time I've researched, spent money, then questioned whether I'd done the right thing.

Fourth
    Via lightroom (which I signed up for the monthly fee) can I take a pretty bad image in RAW and turn it into a masterpiece? Does it really all start with a good composition first?

Any comments will be appreciated, possible followed, and maybe thrown aside
    Last edited by Brendo09; 28-03-2016 at 2:48pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, can't wait for some of these answers....
    Filter

EOS R & 16-35 f4 EF, 70-200 2.8 RF
    Olympus OMD-EM1 Mark II 7-14 12-40 40-150 Pro lens.
    EOS 7D Mark II - 70D - Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, 17 - 55 2.8 Lenses

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First - a good backpack is a start, if you keep purchasing you may need more than one . At least your camera and lenses will be within a padded bag. If you live in an area with high humidity I'd also suggest throwing in some of those sachets which absorb moisture. I have a Pro Runner 450 which is great for travelling in Aus - not so good for OS as it weighs nearly 5kg empty.

Second - I always carry a microsoft lens cloth when out shooting to wipe the lens with. I've only used the cleaning fluid once and have no idea if it's the same for glasses.

Third - I have the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 with vibration control which is an excellent lens. Without the VC it will all depend on your technique if hand holding but should be fine on a tripod. Only one way to find out if you've wasted your $200 - take some photos both hand held and on a tripod and see what results are like.

Fourth - No - you can never turn a sows ear into a silk purse. A raw image will usually look flat straight out of camera and of course good PP will bring out the contrast/colour etc and make an image with good bones look fabulous. If, however, it's oof or badly composed all the PP in the world won't rescue it.
    Glenda

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good info from Elle.

re storage: I've had a backpack for about 4 years and it still has the tags on it. Probably great for tramping through the scrub.
    I preferred this solution ... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wonderful...3D152006987906

It's a dehumidifier, is airtight and dust-proof, and offers some impact resistance.

re #2 I think the reference was supposed to be a microfibre cloth (Elle must have predictive text, bloody Microsoft). My first action is the blower, then the soft brush, and as a last resort a drop of lens cleaning fluid on a dedicated lens tissue, and finish by gently polishing with that microfibre cloth.

re #4: My thoughts exactly.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lplates View Post
    First - a good backpack is a start, if you keep purchasing you may need more than one . At least your camera and lenses will be within a padded bag. If you live in an area with high humidity I'd also suggest throwing in some of those sachets which absorb moisture. I have a Pro Runner 450 which is great for travelling in Aus - not so good for OS as it weighs nearly 5kg empty.

Second - I always carry a microsoft lens cloth when out shooting to wipe the lens with. I've only used the cleaning fluid once and have no idea if it's the same for glasses.

Third - I have the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 with vibration control which is an excellent lens. Without the VC it will all depend on your technique if hand holding but should be fine on a tripod. Only one way to find out if you've wasted your $200 - take some photos both hand held and on a tripod and see what results are like.

Fourth - No - you can never turn a sows ear into a silk purse. A raw image will usually look flat straight out of camera and of course good PP will bring out the contrast/colour etc and make an image with good bones look fabulous. If, however, it's oof or badly composed all the PP in the world won't rescue it.
    thanks LPlates.

At the moment I rarely go out with more than 1 lens anyway, so I try to learn about making the shots work rather than picking the best equipment for the job so to speak. I do have a smaller bag that I can fit a couple of small lenses into, but this bag is more to keep everything in the one place and be able to simply load in the car if I go away. Overseas trips are still a good distance away while all the kids are still about

I"m itching for the 17-50 to arrive. I'm hoping that I won't be disappointed with it and the difference between it and the kit 18-55 will be relatively obvious to see. I guess even if it isn't obvious, I'll still 'see' the difference to justify my outlay.

The fourth question was a tongue in cheek job after getting home from an afternoon out with the family, having limited time to take some photo's of something interesting, and loading them up to find they're mostly stinkers.

I appreciate you sharing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quick one...

Lens pouches? Essential gear, or just another thing to blow money on?

Neoprene? Plush Velvet? Stamped leather?
    Last edited by Brendo09; 28-03-2016 at 6:04pm.
    D5200 D7100 Limited talent, but lots of enthusiasm.

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops, didn't proof read that post - it should be microfibre. The only lens pouches I have are two which came with the lens when purchased and if the lens is in my bag it goes in pouchless.

As for your stinkers - happens to all of us, especially when rushed. I deleted a whole file the other day because I wasn't happy with them.

Photo Bizarro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whenever I buy a lens, it gets immediately removed from the pouch and never goes back in.. my (3) lenses are stored in my camera backpack for ease of portability.
    My name is John.
    www.jrfraser.com

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lplates View Post

Fourth - No - you can never turn a sows ear into a silk purse.
    But you can sometimes make a nice novelty luggage tag. Like Lplates said though, there's no saving OOF.
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    L has given you some great answers..

I will add, re the lens. Cameras started in 1827, lenses have been around since. OS/IS/VR whatever you call it, has been around less that 20 years. Before it was invented there are plenty of photos taken that are not blurry. You need to become a better photographer and learn to rely on the gear less.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    L has given you some great answers..

I will add, re the lens. Cameras started in 1827, lenses have been around since. OS/IS/VR whatever you call it, has been around less that 20 years. Before it was invented there are plenty of photos taken that are not blurry. You need to become a better photographer and learn to rely on the gear less.
    That was my thought as well. There are hundreds of thousands of cracking photo's taken from way back when. It's not impossible.

So, just to brush up on technique, I turn on the LCD screen, hold the camera at face level and at arms length, then push down hard on the shutter button in one fluid motion, right?

With regard to technique, I wear glasses. I find I look through the viewfinder over the top of the glasses, I think primarily because that angle puts my nose off the lcd screen, so there's fewer greasy smears on it. Pushing the viewfinder back on my glasses enough to be able to see all the info at the bottom of the screen in there is taking some practice.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendo09 View Post

So, just to brush up on technique, I turn on the LCD screen, hold the camera at face level and at arms length, then push down hard on the shutter button in one fluid motion, right?

With regard to technique, I wear glasses. I find I look through the viewfinder over the top of the glasses, I think primarily because that angle puts my nose off the lcd screen, so there's fewer greasy smears on it. Pushing the viewfinder back on my glasses enough to be able to see all the info at the bottom of the screen in there is taking some practice.
    Technique nearly there, just remember to stand on one foot, the one furthest from the shutter button is the best one to use.

Have you thought of trying something like this?
    http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod12856.htm

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Hamster. I had a look at it, but I'm not sure if it's a problem that $40 including shipping will fix, or whether I can fix it for free by doing it properly.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendo09 View Post
    Cheers Hamster. I had a look at it, but I'm not sure if it's a problem that $40 including shipping will fix, or whether I can fix it for free by doing it properly.
    I was thinking for the glasses and nose issue. I was thinking of one myself because I'm left eye dominant and fairly well endowed in the nose department.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Brendo,

Here's a detailed review of the big Sig you're interested in:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx

The bloke compares it with the Tamron and Canon lenses that compete with it.
    He shoots Canon, so the F mount f2.8 70-200 Nikkor doesn't get a look in

I havn't used the Nik f2.8 70-200 but I have used the other two thirds of the Nikon zoom holy trinity; the 14-24 and 24-70 f2.8 Nikkor zooms, and they are brilliant. I have no reason to think that the Nik 70-200 is
    not brilliant too; if you acquired that lens I'm sure its results would blow your mind... in a good way that is.
    Last edited by Circled By Confusion; 02-04-2016 at 7:33am.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "I bought a 17-50mm f2.8 Tamron lens without Image Stabilisation." The wider the lens the lesser the need for IS. Imagine 100sec makes for not a dog.
    "So, just to brush up on technique, I turn on the LCD screen, hold the camera at face level and at arms length, then push down hard on the shutter button in one fluid motion, right?"
    Suspect that's what you may have to do with that Nikon stuff. Maybe consider consider using the self timer. Might help if you are pushing down on the shutter button a bit to hard.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    "I bought a 17-50mm f2.8 Tamron lens without Image Stabilisation." The wider the lens the lesser the need for IS. Imagine 100sec makes for not a dog.
    "So, just to brush up on technique, I turn on the LCD screen, hold the camera at face level and at arms length, then push down hard on the shutter button in one fluid motion, right?"
    Suspect that's what you may have to do with that Nikon stuff. Maybe consider consider using the self timer. Might help if you are pushing down on the shutter button a bit to hard.
    Or you could hold the camera in your left hand; and give the shutter release button a good thump with a mallet,
    swung with your right hand

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for backpack....I have a lowpro with side access, great for walking, hiking, beach, travel...... Lots of pockets for bits an bobs, easy to carry weight and room for lunch etc.... Only draw back was no where to carry tripod but I did modify to cope with this situation.....

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just bought a lowepro runner 350. It should arrive next week sometime.

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is too late to doubt yourself after the purchase. You have done the homework so be happy with your decision
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX