Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  16
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One Of Those Days.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Our bathroom's being totally renovated. The last thing we need to buy is a light we like for above the mirror. Stuff all choice in Mudgee. We also need to get some paint and stuff to do the ceiling and walls above where the tiles will finish.
    So off to Bathurst yesterday and I was sure it was gunna be one of those days (doesn't help that the better half needs to analyse everything 5 times, even a paint brush. Yes I have a lot of those days ).

Well we had a list of places to go for a light and paint stuff. How much am I looking forward to all this.
    Was going to Bunnings first but fortunately I missed the road to go down (just the start of OOTDays I think) so we ended up going to Masters first. Aren't they going broke and useless?
    We lucked upon a wonderful lady that actually knew her stuff in the areas we needed to know about (how often do you ask for help from someone that it turns out knows less about the subject than you do? Thinking our local Bunnings here.) She was happy to take time to explain things and help us. (she reckoned she'd rather take the time to help people than stack selves on a Monday.) 45 minutes later we had all the last things we need for our bathroom.
    So yesterday turned out to be one of those days that I thought would be one of those days that turned out to be one of those days that I wish would happen more often.
    A couple of blokes are doing our bathroom but I have to do the painting later this week. That means stand by for OOTdays. I'm sure I can stuff it up.
    Last edited by Mark L; 16-03-2016 at 12:55am.

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Half way through Arthur's post I thought maybe he had the wrong house - glad that wasn't the case.

Mark - aren't bathroom renos wonderful - well they are when they are finished.
    Glenda

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lplates View Post
    Half way through Arthur's post I thought maybe he had the wrong house - glad that wasn't the case.

Llps. I went to put the key in the car door one afternoon, only to find the lock had been vandalised!!
    Cripes! And I was only away 5 mins!! Neither would the key turn.

I was about to utter another imprecation, when... - Oops! Wrong car. (Only a couple away from each other.)
    Boy, was I glad for that. [/Nonchalant whistling emoticon]

Mark. Keep away from OWLs when painting. You wouldn't want to have TWO OOTdays in a row
    Funny how you always weave birds into your posts. I didn't know you 'ad drongos out there at [a name].
    Last edited by ameerat42; 16-03-2016 at 10:00am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arthur.. I thought I had another bad day, you seem more unluckier them me. Time for you to write a Book about these days.
    I feel for you trying to get in that window, does that mean you have only one entrance door into or out of your home.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lplates View Post
    What, they actually get to be finished. A week to go. or was that two weeks. Or ... it will be finished. Looking forward to OOT weeks becoming OOTdays.
    Not sure about AM saying "Keep away from OWLs when painting." Would be more than happy if an owl dropped in to make it OOTdays.
    Last edited by Mark L; 17-03-2016 at 12:52am. Reason: remove signature. It's not supposed to show since i've alreday posted on this page. Go figure mods. lol

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    What, they actually get to be finished. A week to go. or was that two weeks. Or ... it will be finished. Looking forward to OOT weeks becoming OOTdays.
    Not sure about AM saying "Keep away from OWLs when painting." Would be more than happy if an owl dropped in to make it OOTdays.
    Well mostly. We had our bathroom and ensuite done last year - did take longer than originally planned and eventually was finished while we were overseas - scary as we had to rely on our son to inspect the workmanship before handing over the final payment. We too elected to do the painting ourselves which in the ensuite was only the ceiling and window trim. Ceiling was done immediately - still waiting for the window trim to be done.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Our bathroom's being totally renovated. ......
    Oh man!!!
    Don't get me started on bathroom renovations

For me it also turned into 'one of those days' .. fourteen times over.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I would add to this post of OOTD but it is too depressing so will just enjoy reading others. But needless to say my reasons for not being very active lately

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    C'mon, guys. This is just not Cricket!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Well I would add to this post of OOTD but it is too depressing so will just enjoy reading others. But needless to say my reasons for not being very active lately
    She's usually so up-beat

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could leave out the depressing stuff and just fess-up to all the embarrassing stuff
    If you replace the 'W' with 'T' in When, Where and What, you get the answer for each question.
    CC more than welcome. Remember, I can't be offended so go for it. Feel free to post your ideas with an edit if you have time. Thanks in advance.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I would add to this post of OOTD but it is too depressing so will just enjoy reading others. .....
    Hope it all gets better for 'ya Cricket.
    Been there done that, and just hung in there to see it to the end.

My bathroom story as brief as I can( to hopefully put a smile on 'ya dial).

This a while back now .. maybe '09 or '08 .. can't remember.
    Work was getting more and more sparse and devalued, so income was stretched to breaking point.
    There was no way I could afford a bathroom reno back then, but my (other) sis has a partner that is a builder.
    They have all sorts of leftovers and unwanted bits of builds that just sit in their storage area .. anyhow she offered to fix the bathroom for me multiple times prior but with no actual effect.

So one day(Sat or Sun .. can't remember again) .. we caught up and she tells me "we'll start the bathroom soon".
    My thought was "Yeah, Yeah" (whatever, heard it all before .. doesn't matter I can live with it.
    The backstory is tho, that the bathroom was almost to the point that it was unusable, heavily contaminated with mould. The previous owners trying to sell up quickly with minimal outlay had painted over some very heavy mould. it started to come through a few years later .. and by 08-09 it was basically texture of the entire walls.

So, one Monday with no clue as to what's about to come ... I went to work as usual, come home to a massive pile of rubble in the driveway.
    Bathroom was totally stripped bare. Only things left were the frame and the window .. no door nothing. Pipes all blocked off and just a shell of a room now!

Would have been nice to know ON THE DAY, so that I could plan for it .. but never mind.
    Next day plumber did the pipe layout
    Next day the builder started most of the plaster, but left the wired wall.
    Next day electrician came and added new wires in the same place .. no thumbs here as the plan wasn't laid out too well.
    Problem was that the door opened the wrong way for the new layout. It opened into the new shower and onto the new toilet(where no toilet was before).
    Door had to be re-oriented to open the other way .. no worries, except that it opened onto the electrical plug.
    So before door was finalised and walls plastered, the electrics had to go barely 1 meter across the door frame onto the other side.
    This one day delay was the problem!
    Turned a 3 day build(easy build too) into a 2 week waiting game and a backbreaking exercise.

Elec came back on the fourth day, and I started some plastering on the remaining two walls after work. Easy nuff, did all the large pieces easily myself and builder would come back to finish off what I couldn't.
    The last piece of plaster I had to put in place was a teeny little tacker about the size of your palm, but it was low down where the skirting would end up. The finish didn't matter as the skirting would hide it anyhow .. just didn't want any hidden holes and stuff, and it was needed for the tiles used for the skirting to bond too.
    In the reach down to nail it in, I snapped my back! Sciatic nerve pain, couldn't move now and therefore do nothing else in the bathroom myself.
    This is where the problem now began. Builder(sister's partner) had planned for a 3 or 4 day build, so their holiday was already pre planned. I was to do what I could while builder wasn't there, but that all went down the drain(pun intended!), as I couldn't do anything. Could lay the base for the shower, or start to setup the frameless shower screen or anything at all.
    Could barely wash myself .. so the whole process got delayed again and again.
    So I was without a bathroom for two weeks now instead of the originally planned 3 days, and I was unable to work due to an immovable back.

In the end I had to relent and drive up to mum's for showers and stuff, and I think I stayed up there a couple of days too. If were only a few days, I could live with a quick sponge up in the laundry .. but not two weeks.
    All that pales into insignificance now tho as the bathroom still looks schmick!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maryanne, aren't you lucky to have such an interesting life, and also be a bit useful.
    Last edited by martycon; 18-03-2016 at 1:33am.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12