Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7

Thread: Viewing Nikon D800 Live View remotely

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Viewing Nikon D800 Live View remotely

Last night I had my first astro session with my motorised mount. To say I was underwhelmed with the outcome would be a gross understatement as I couldn't even line up the first star in a two star alignment.

The problem is actually viewing what the camera is pointing at, either through the viewfinder or with Live View, as when the mount is pointing more or less straight up, or at other weird angles, I can't get a clear look at either.

What I need to do is to be able to view the Live View screen on a tablet, laptop or whatever. I don't want to remotely control the camera, just view what the Live View screen is showing so that I can then manually adjust the camera focus and other settings as required. Doesn't have to be WiFi, a cabled connection is fine.

Being on Mal's payroll (AKA the OAP) I'm not exactly flash with cash, so you beaut laptops and tethering software is not an option.

Any help most appreciated.

PS: I've searched here and came across this for $24.99... http://www.oxfordeye.co.uk/TetherPro...proDetail.aspx and if I could get a cheap used laptop/notebook that would probably do the job at a reasonable price.
    Last edited by Cage; 29-02-2016 at 2:54pm.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umm! That's strange. Is there no tethering software that comes with the Nikon? Even my humble Σ has (which I never use.)
    SO you'd hook it up via USB to a small lappy (for your ppses) and go.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Still in the Circle of Confusion
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Umm! That's strange. Is there no tethering software that comes with the Nikon? Even my humble Σ has (which I never use.)
    SO you'd hook it up via USB to a small lappy (for your ppses) and go.
    Nope.

Only software was ViewNX 2, and a USB cable to download images to computer, or print direct from camera.

I do have Lightroom which seems to have some sort of tethering, so maybe I should check that out.

PS: I just watched a LR tute and it doesn't mention a preview.
    Last edited by Cage; 29-02-2016 at 4:31pm.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure I read that with tethering Canon cams allow previews. Would've expected Nikon D800 to be the same.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Qdslrdashboard app from the play store would suit.

- - - Updated - - -

Helicon remote same as above.
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.davis View Post
    Qdslrdashboard app from the play store would suit.

- - - Updated - - -

Helicon remote same as above.
    Cheers John,

The Qdslrdashboard still seems to be in development but the Helicon looks the goods and has a built-in Macro stacker as a bonus. It seems much more 'Pro' than TetherPro does.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one I use with the computer is http://digicamcontrol.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cage, I am not sure on the D800 but I can use wifi and my Nexus 7 or Em's I pad and see and remote activate the shutter with the Nikon app for the D5500 apparently.

I have down loaded the Nikon app to my Nexus 7, but not actually tried it yet.

Read down a little on these 2 a links.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/learn-and...-adapters.html
    http://www.nikonusa.com/en/learn-and...otographs.html
    My 12 13 year old Daughter may be able to do everything via touch screen on the D5500, but at least there is still a button to press to take the photo, so I feel confident...

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EmzDad View Post
    Cage, I am not sure on the D800 but I can use wifi and my Nexus 7 .....
    No Wifi on D800!

I've used DSLR Dashboard on my Galaxy Tab II(it's Android 4.4)

The only bit of hardware I had to get is a USB adapter for it!

Assuming you have a smartphone!!!

Android can natively do USB host connections, so you may need to find a USB adapter if you have a smart device(like a phone or tablet).
    The USB connection on your smartphone is almost likely to be a micro USB type, and natively they don't allow connection from the smart device to the device you want to control.
    So you need to buy an adapter. (check something like Ebay) What you want to search is On the Go or OTG for this adapter.
    Doesn't matter which phone you have if you want to try using your phone.
    The adapter can have many forms. It'll have a micro USB plug on one end and a few options at the other end. Cheapest will be a simple USB female adapter.(about <$10)
    This USB female plug end allows you to connect a USB cable as you'd normally connect to a PC.
    The other plug end types you may be able to find are with a small box at the end that also allows connecting both a female USB plug AND a memory card of some type(usually SD).
    That's what I got. Works well(on my Galaxy Tab II) does both camera connection and card reader duties.

Note that without an OTG adapter, you won't be able to connect the camera to a smart device!!

I've had troubles with DSLR dashboard on the PC, but can't remember having trouble with it on the Tablet tho.(but haven't used them in a long time now).

You haven't specified what devices you have access too Kev, but if you have a usable laptop, I'd recommend ControlMyNikon.(~ $40)
    I use this on my Windows Tablet (10") in preference to DSLR Dashboard on my Galaxy Tab (7").
    I prefer the way it operates. Especially the ability to focus(if you're using an AF lens of any type). The incremental focus stepping is great.

Never tried Helicon tho.
    (may give it a shot one day to see if it's any good too)
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info Arthur. Just what I needed, and I reckoned you'd been there with the D800e

OK, I have an HTC One with Android 5.0.2, so should be sweet there.

I've downloaded Helicon Remote (free 30 day trial, then some features disabled, and hoping 'Live View' is not one of them) and although it's not loading ATM I'm hoping that it needs to be connected to the camera to do so.

Off to get an OTG cable and will check that the USB connectors are compatible

it all comes together

Thanks again to all who chipped in with helpful suggestions. Most appreciated.
    Last edited by Cage; 01-03-2016 at 2:34pm.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All Android phones (or late) use a micro USB connector.
    So the cable plugs will all fit no worries.
    The OTG adapter cable just has the female USB plug end at the other end of the cable so that it's just like connecting the camera to the PC. You'd already have the USB cable for the camera, so you're good to go.

I was going to get a micro to female USB OTG adapter, but then thought a card reader may be a better option .. y'know .. just in case. So my OTG adapter has a (female) USB port and a card reader.
    For the sake of an extra couple of dollars .. why not!
    The only thing that caught me out when I first tried to use the card reader was the small switch on the box to switch between USB host ability(the USB plug end) and the actual card reader dooby.
    Couldn't get the tablet or phone to recognise the cards .. and spent too long trying different cards .. etc.
    Found the switch .. and ...

Like I said earlier tho .. the only software I've used to confirm that it all worked was DSLR dashboard, and that was a few years ago(2012/3).
    Actually I don't even remember if I did anything other than confirm that it connected and displayed a Lv image(which I remember it did).

When I have done focus stacking, I preferred to use (PC software) ControlMyNikon on the tablet, set up a script to automate focus stacking(via AF) and let it loose.

When (if!!) I have some time, I'll try that Helicon thing to see if it works OK too.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, for me, the Helicon Remote wont load on my phone.

It downloaded OK, but when I try to activate it, it comes up on the phone screen momentarily, then disappears.

I've joined Helicon forum and asked for help.

Looked really hard for some sort of activation process but couldn't find one.

Now waiting patiently.

The trial version only captures low res jpegs so when it has done its job in finding my star, I'll turn it off.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a reply from Helicon.

They were aware of the problem and thought it had been rectified.

Awaiting further info, and watching my window of clear skies and the visibility of M42 slowly close.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After much, much, and very much stuffing around, I now have Helicon Remote on my mobile and at first glance it looks quite good, with a clear view, and focus and setting adjustments

And of course its now clouded over.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that didn't work too well.

Too small and too much light from the mobile screen.

@ Arthur.... I had a look at ControlMyNikon and unfortunately it only gives very low res jpegs.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    Well that didn't work too well.

Too small and too much light from the mobile screen.

@ Arthur.... I had a look at ControlMyNikon and unfortunately it only gives very low res jpegs.
    Is that in trial mode?
    Paid for, it gives you anything you want, and a lot of stuff you didn't know was possible!

The handiest feature is the way in which you can focus in such fine grained steps using the focus pad thingy tool.
    of course you can also focus from MFD to infinity in one step two if you prefer .. so there is an ability to tune how fine you want the focus steps, as you use the focus pad.

But as said, it's Windows only, so you need a larger controlling device .. ie no phones!

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Is that in trial mode?
    Paid for, it gives you anything you want, and a lot of stuff you didn't know was possible!

The handiest feature is the way in which you can focus in such fine grained steps using the focus pad thingy tool.
    of course you can also focus from MFD to infinity in one step two if you prefer .. so there is an ability to tune how fine you want the focus steps, as you use the focus pad.

But as said, it's Windows only, so you need a larger controlling device .. ie no phones!
    I lashed out today and bought a cheap laptop and downloaded TetherPro. The laptop is as slow as a month of Sundays, but it seems to do all that I need it for, which is to focus my camera.

I'd try it tonight but I've just got home from the Rubberty after watching my footy team get beaten, so not a happy chappy.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Is that in trial mode?

I should have listened to Uncle Arthur.

Set-up for a session on the Orion Nebula tonight and the Live View in TetherPro went on holidays and the whole program kept freezing.

I really need it for focusing so it was a bloody disaster.

Just downloaded the trial version of your suggested ControlMyNikon program onto the Notebook and it is much, much better. A belated 'Thank you'.
    Last edited by Cage; 06-04-2016 at 1:17am.