User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Please help, I'm going insane ,PS CS6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please help, I'm going insane ,PS CS6

Scenario-I have PS CS3 on the laptop and CS6 on the desktop Computer. I shoot RAW. I rarely print photos so everything is done in sRGB. On my laptop with CS3 when it comes to saving the photo as a jpeg I click on "save as" and always under "Assign Profile" working RGB: sRGB IEC61966 is always the option that comes up for each and every photo that I edit. no problem.

On the desktop loaded with PS CS6 I select "save as" and I get Color: ICC Profile: Adobe RGB(1998) everytime. I have tried to change it but it always reverts to Adobe RGB everytime I try to save the next photo. I went into "edit" Convert to Profile , and the options are "source space" which shows "Profile AdobeRGB(1998)" and Destination space "Profile:sRGB ICE 61966"

1. Why is the source space Adobe RGB(1998)?
    2. Why can't I work out how to "save as" with the profile automatically assigned sRGB like I can in PS CS?
    3. I have been unchecking the Adobe RGB(1998) and assigning no profile at all since I got PS CS6-is this a mistake?
    4. All of this torture has arisen because now I need to print a whole lot of photos and I want to get it right. sRGB? Adobe RGB(1998) ? From what I've read i need to assign sRGB to the edited photo to have the best option for printing anywhere. BUt why does PS CS6 keep giving me only Adobe RGB (1998) as the default option to save my jpeg?

Hope someone can understand my dilemma and give me some advice......many thanks

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    what I think is happening is that you have the default set to the adobe space.

Now whether this is in PS or on the actual computer is what we need to determine

In CS6, click on the EDIT menu across the top and then from the drop down, near the bottom is "Color Settings" Check those. In particular what is your 'working space' set to? More info here : http://www.color-management-guide.co...-settings.html

The other thing it could be is that the default colour space for the entire computer that CS6 is on, is set to the Adobe one. What Operating System are you using?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leanneqld View Post
    ..... From what I've read i need to assign sRGB to the edited photo to have the best option for printing anywhere. BUt why does PS CS6 keep giving me only Adobe RGB (1998) as the default option to save my jpeg?

First up!
    aRGB is the better colour profile to use for printing at a print provider.
    That doesn't mean to say that you can't get high quality prints with a sRGB profile, of course you can. Just that aRGB has a wider colour gamut, and can therefore render more colours on the print.

If you try to print at some of those el cheapo printing kiosks, some of those machines only print sRGB set jpg images! I've been caught out with that.

So in one sense, sRGB can be the better colourspace to use simply for compatibility, but aRGB is the better quality setting.
    So if you use the services of a professional type print lab, I'd say stick to aRGB .. but if you're printing hundreds of 5x7's at the local Officeworks/HN/BigW/etc .. maybe better using sRGB to be sure.

As for CS6 .. why is the source image in aRGB?? Your guess is as good as mine here, but as you said you shoot raw, I'm guessing that ACR may have something to do with it.
    You can't directly open a raw file in CS6, so you have to open it initially in ACR, which then converts the raw file into another file type(possibly a PSD type) for use in CS6.
    So, whilst you are in ACR, (as I remember it) near the bottom of the window is the colour profile info, which you can click on to set the colourspace.

Maybe there is a settings area to allow you to use ACR where you can open is one colourspace type but export to CS6 in another.
    .. dunno! .. I'm a bit of an Adobophobe thus I tend to avoid it where I can.

Also, there must surely be a setting somewhere in CS6 that you can set it to always save any/every image in the sRGB colourspace?

Another aspect of the aRGB issue you have in CS6 is that maybe it's set to work in the same colourspace as the image was shot in?
    Have you got the camera set up to shoot in aRGB colourspace?
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it a question of setting your colour space in CS6 to sRGB?

Cheers

Dennis
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing to do with your 'dilemma' and maybe none of my business, but I was just wondering/curious why you run CS3 on one device and CS6 on the other? You're allowed to, and have paid for, a copy of CS6 on both. Like I say, just curious? (tell me to nick off if it's nothing I need to know)
    If you replace the 'W' with 'T' in When, Where and What, you get the answer for each question.
    CC more than welcome. Remember, I can't be offended so go for it. Feel free to post your ideas with an edit if you have time. Thanks in advance.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you changing the color profile the way Nardes has shown?
    If you are, and then you only hit Save, it will ask to make up a Color Settings
    File, CSF. You should hit OK, not Save.

If you are hitting OK, then are you closing Photoshop immediately after
    and re-opening it? If yes also, and it still reverts to the old setting, then
    you may not have admin access to the program. Try running as administrator.

"Tsorl" I can think about.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 20-03-2016 at 10:24am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leanne, Photoshop CS6 saves whatever you have selected in ACR as the default colour space for the current image and all future images (if you do not change it).

I always reckon that 16 bit ProPhotoRGB (PPRGB, Wide gamut RGB, etc) is the best colour space, and it is what I always use. However, aRGB is the safest colour space, and is not deficient and defective the way sRGB is. One cannot see the colour changes done in PPRGB on one's monitor, as the colour space is far too wide for any commercially available monitor to display - i.e. you cannot see what you are doing! Since I almost never do colour adjustments with my images, this is not a problem for me. My Epson R3880 printer can print most of a PPRGB colour space, but is limited by the colour space if I use aRGB, so I don't ... .

The choice of colour space you make depends on how much colour adjustment/manipulation you do, and your monitor. I advise using a decent quality aRGB monitor, and using an aRGB colour space.

All my JPEGs that are uploaded to the web (etc) have been saved with an sRGB colour space, as the web runs on sRGB ...

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks everyone....ArthurKing, the photos are for a friend so she will most likely be printing then at K-Mart,Harvey Norman, Big W, so safest bet would be to keep them as sRGB. I too thought there must be a save option somewhere so it always gives me sRGB to assign when I save the jpeg but I can't find one. It always uses sRGB in CS3............................. Nardes, i have the colour setting set exactly as you have posted. In fact, I copied the the exact same settings as I have from CS3. Still, after I close one photo, the next one I open goes back to aRGB. I'm thinking Camera Raw might be the issue as John King has suggested, will have a look.
    Gazza,.......PS CS3 .....I have Lucisart and it only runs on 32bit windows, it wouldnt work on my new desktop running 64bit. so I keep CS3 on the laptop to use Lucisart. Rick, I'm running Windows 10.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you saying that when you do File - Save as you get a default aRGB color profile to save in?

Do you get a message when opening files about color space not matching, and then do you choose
    some option, like Convert, Ignore, etc?

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes ameerat, exactly....file, save as, ICC Profile:Adobe RGB(1998) checked automatically........to get it to sRGB i have to go back to the photo and go to Edit assign colour etc for every single photo and then save as.......in CS3 it stays at ICC Profile :sRGB

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm! Then if you can't solve it al la John King, you can at least UN-tick the profile that it wants to
    save in. Then it will go to AFAICT/K/Imagine/Dream about... sRGB. All of this is based on CS2 version,
    but it's much the same-ly.

- - - Updated - - -

(PS and an aside: I don't yet have PS CS6. A friend has been threatening to ditch it and then I can have it
    but this has been going on for over a year now.)

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "(PS and an aside: I don't yet have PS CS6. A friend has been threatening to ditch it and then I can have it
    but this has been going on for over a year now.) "...........damn, I hope you get it soon

OK....I have to a big big thanks to everyone who gave me their advice. Problem is now solved. The problem was with Camera Raw. Right at the bottom all my RAW photos were being given Adobe RGB(1998) and so i was able to change that to sRGB and then when they were exported to PS the save as option now comes up with sRGB everytime..................thanks again