User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Ireland and Iceland photography and general tips?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ireland and Iceland photography and general tips?

Hi all,
    I'm heading to Ireland then onto Iceland this October, roughly 2 weeks in each country.
    So I'm wondering if more seasoned members may have a few photography and also general tips to share?
    Capturing the Northern Lights, staying alive/sane... etc?

Thanks,

red.

Lightbender
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going outside at night and its cold, wear lots of layers. Or go back inside where its warm.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gidday Red

What gear do you have? What are you contemplating taking?

Remember that Li-Ion batteries do not like the cold, so keep your spares in an inside pocket, close to your body warmth .

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    check our our major competition sponsor udesignphototours. They do an iceland tour, and you might be able to find out more from them.. or join one of their tours
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks gents, I appreciate your insightful advice

Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    Gidday Red

What gear do you have? What are you contemplating taking?

Remember that Li-Ion batteries do not like the cold, so keep your spares in an inside pocket, close to your body warmth .
    I'm planning to take my 7Dmk2, 11-16, 24-70, 70-200, a few spare batts, lots of mem cards and a tripod - this last item is proving to be difficult to decide on.
    Can't take my larger sturdier tripod, so I'm looking for a decent travel sized one, the Manfrotto compact that I've been using on my travels, I fear isn't going to cut it in Iceland.

On the subject of batteries, do you have any advice on 3rd party replacement packs? They area bout 1/4 the price of the original Canon pack, with higher capacity (2200 vs 1850mAh) I figured even if I get half the use out of them, it's still a good deal?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sirui make excellent carbon travel tripods. In fact many of their full size tripod easily work for travel. I have the W-2204 and it'll travel with no issues with me. I took my old Manfrotto 055XPROB to Iceland last year which is a massive hunk of metal compared to the Sirui. Lens choices for Iceland are good. I went with a similar kit. 11-16 and 80-200 stayed on the camera most of the time.
    I'm Sam.

D810, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8, Nikon 16-35 f/4, Nikon 80-200 f/2.8. Sirui W-2204 Tripod w/ K-20x ballhead. Heliopan and Hoya filters.

My photos: Instagram | 500px | Flickr

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your set up - I think you have the body and lens well covered. Are you just going with the one body or do you have a back up - of course this also depends on are you going for a photography purpose or are you on vacation just carrying a camera? In the second instance a good P&S or IPhone works but in the first instance ..... well things can go wrong with something electrical.

As for the tripod, it will depend on your budget - there is a wide range of options out there now. This is one area where we tend to skimp a little bit, but do not under estimate the value of a good quality tripod and just as important a good quality ball head. I personally use Gitzo but I bought them second hand. I have Sirui monopods and I cannot praise them enough - not just good value for money but outstanding quality, dare i say as good if not better than a Gitzo monopod. The Sirui range of ball heads are just as impressive.

Best of luck and have a great trip.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Lightbender
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming you are taking a remote shutter release? In that case, is it cabled or an IR remote? If its IR, remember to keep that ones battery nice and warm as well.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Brian and Sam, I'll be sure to check out the Sirui range, I had been looking at the Mefoto Roadtrip too, which seem to be in the same price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant S View Post
    Assuming you are taking a remote shutter release? In that case, is it cabled or an IR remote? If its IR, remember to keep that ones battery nice and warm as well.
    I have a cabled Hahnel remote as well as a TriggerTrap... probably gonna take them both, as they are both small and light.
    The Triggertrap I find has a slight lag... probably due to the app on the phone rather than the trigger itself - so it's great for more "static" situation where I don't need to time the release precisely, but needs to program intervals and allow more experiments. The Hahnel on the other hand doesn't have any lag, which I find better for fireworks, waves..etc.

I can see myself struggling with the phone and Triggertrap in cold weather though... fingers frozen stuck to the screnn... that would be fun