Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photo of the week

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photo of the week

I'll put this here instead of the POTW comps thread thinking it may gain a wider audience (was actually thinking about putting it in f/stop for an even wider audience).
    So last weeks POTW #503 had 25 entries. That's good. And then it only had 33 people vote on those 25 entries. Not so good I'd think.
    Just wondering if there's a way to encourage more voting in the comps? Do all our members know that it is an easy thing to do? Even if they don't enter the comps they can contribute by making their thoughts count a little. Do they know they'll see many wonderful photos that aren't posted for CC? (not sure why more photos in the comps aren't later [posted for CC?).
    Anyway, back to how do we encourage more voting in the POTW comps? Offer small prizes to someone who votes chosen at random?
    Thoughts.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's interesting, I just had a look and 99 people opened to have a look, and like you say...only 33 voted. Perhaps some are not confirming their vote?
    You don't take a photograph, you make it ~ Ansel Adams
    CC more than welcome, (I can't be offended) and feel free to post your ideas with an edit if ya have the time. Thanks......

Ausphotography Regular Geoff Port's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it intriguing that 99 people viewed but only 33 voted. Why go to the trouble of looking without clicking a score button? I'm not a prolific participant on the site and now rarely post photos but I do attempt to log on to vote in the comps. Of course, sometimes circumstances are such that I can't and I miss not doing so.
    A suggestion for increasing participation. Could management include voting in the comps as part of the general site participation such as posting photos and CCing photos thereby counting when the lack of participation warning is invoked?

Hmm, I think that reads OK.

Geoff Port
    EOS 60D and a couple of lenses.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not a lot we can do. We can encourage voting, but we cannot enforce it. @Geoff, voting is not counted as participation on the site for post counts as such, because we wanted the competitions to be a reward for active forum participation. If we start counting voting as participation, we cannot then restrict access to those who do not help out their fellow members elsewhere on the site.

Threads like this one, will see voting increase for a week or so, then it drops back to the regulars again.

In the end people participate how they want to. After all Mark, you love to comment on the bird forum and the challenges, but when was the last time you visited the landscape forum and commented? I am not having a go, just pointing out that people have genre they prefer etc and have specific areas of the site they enjoy, more than others and thus they will contribute in those areas more. It is just the way it is, in photography, competitions and life in general.
    Last edited by ricktas; 23-02-2016 at 5:50am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if it is my internet or just the site being busy but when I went to vote on Sunday night it will not let me view the image at full size and locks my system up and would not complete. I find this happens most Sunday nights if I try to vote. I gave up and voted very early Monday morning and did not have any problems at all. I find it very frustrating when I can not view the images in full size unless I go out of voting and just look at he images then go back in to vote. Like I said that maybe my internet problem or not but one that others may be suffering.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Port View Post
    I find it intriguing that 99 people viewed but only 33 voted.
    Was it 99 people who visited, or was it 99 views?
    If it is the latter then I would be guilty of viewing the competition voting threads more than once. I tend to have a look on my phone or tablet when I get a spare moment but do not usually vote on these devices as it does not give the best view of the photos.
    This speeds up the voting when I eventually do vote on my work desktop or laptop which travels between work and home.

I try and vote on all comps but sometime miss out, this is usually when I get busy and/or just forget. I tend to vote less on the qualifying polls as they are only open Sunday evening to Wednesday and often don't even get the laptop out at home. I get more time on the weekend and therefore tend to vote more on the final polls.

For the record, I did not vote on the boats qualifying poll , but voted on the final.
    Mark

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Visits are not people unique.
    I.e. it could be one person visiting 50 times
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a way we can encourage more people to vote? What about a points system whereby the more you participate in things like voting and other community based assistance that you gain points and then at the end of the month/year the top 5 (?) scorers are awarded some sort of acknowledgement? Just a thought.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mpb View Post
    Was it 99 people who visited, or was it 99 views?
    If it is the latter then I would be guilty of viewing the competition voting threads more than once. I tend to have a look on my phone or tablet when I get a spare moment but do not usually vote on these devices as it does not give the best view of the photos.
    This speeds up the voting when I eventually do vote on my work desktop or laptop which travels between work and home.

I try and vote on all comps but sometime miss out, this is usually when I get busy and/or just forget. I tend to vote less on the qualifying polls as they are only open Sunday evening to Wednesday and often don't even get the laptop out at home. I get more time on the weekend and therefore tend to vote more on the final polls.

For the record, I did not vote on the boats qualifying poll , but voted on the final.
    Ditto for most of this

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread 133 views, 25 unique members

Ausphotography irregular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ and this unique member has only viewed 83 times.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another one guilty of looking frequently. I always vote but if I happen to be near the final 4 for the qualifying vote or in the final vote I will check to see how voting is going usually once a day (sometimes twice ......no I'm not competitive! )
    CAMERA: Nikon D800, Nikon D7000
    LENSES: AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro, Sigma 10 - 20mm F/4 - 5.6, Sigma 150 - 500mm F/5 - 6.3 APO DG OS, Nikkor 18 - 200mm F/3.5 - 5.6 VRII,
    Sigma 70 - 200mm f2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron SP 24 - 70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX DG, Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm F/4 ED VR
    MY WEBSITES: www.nawimages.com, http://nelliewajzerphotography.smugmug.com/, http://NellieWajzerPhotography.blogspot.com

Ausphotography irregular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NikonNellie View Post
    I always vote but if I happen to be near the final 4 for the qualifying vote or in the final vote I will check to see how voting is going usually once a day (sometimes twice ......no I'm not competitive! )
    How do you do that checking???
    An aside. Last weeks POTW top finalists votes were so close, if I'd voted 10 for my photo it may have got in to the finals. (must vote 10 for all of my entries from now on )
    The more of you that vote, the more you will counter everyone that votes 10 for their entry.
    Last edited by Mark L; 28-02-2016 at 8:54pm. Reason: zpelling
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S, Sigma 120-400, a speedlite, a tripod, a monopod, a remote release and a padded bag to carry things in.

Ausphotography Regular MissionMan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the challenge as I see it:

If you have 25 entries, its a lot to go through and add individual numbers to, you have to think about each entry, compare it to the way you voted for other photos etc. I think you would have a higher success rate if you changed the way people voted. I.e. ask people to select 3 entries they believe should go through. That way, all they have to do is select 3 entries.
    Fuji XT-2, Fuji VPB-XT2, Fujinon 16-55 f/2.8, Fujinon 50-140 f/2.8, Fujinon 23 f/2, Fujinon 35 f2, Fujinon 90 f/2, Yongnuo YN560 IV, Yongnuo YN560 TX, Benro C3580T
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/atholhill
    https://www.instagram.com/themissionman/

Ausphotography Veteran tandeejay's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    Here is the challenge as I see it:

If you have 25 entries, its a lot to go through and add individual numbers to, you have to think about each entry, compare it to the way you voted for other photos etc. I think you would have a higher success rate if you changed the way people voted. I.e. ask people to select 3 entries they believe should go through. That way, all they have to do is select 3 entries.
    If the final vote is a top 4, then wouldn't a "select 4 entries" be better?

(I don't mind the current voting system, but the POTY was a bit of a marathon )
    John Blackburn

"Life is like a camera! Focus on what is important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out take another shot."

Ausphotography Regular MissionMan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tandeejay View Post

Doesn't really make a difference because each vote counts for one point and the top 4 would go through.

The current voting system is great if you have time, but if you're time poor (which some people may be depending on work, family, timing), then some people may consider it too hard.

Ausphotography Regular bcys1961's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tandeejay View Post

I also don't mind the current voting system . Most weeks you only have 10-15 photos maximum to score . If it were only peoples selection of top 4 that went through it would be a bit more of a lottery. The current final 4 is a bit of a lottery as often the photo scoring the highest in Rd1 does not win the final comp.
    The name is Brad ......

OMD EM-1, OMD EM-5MkII, m.Zuiko 12-40mm Pro f2.8, m.Zuiko 40-150mm f2.8 Pro , m.Zuiko 60mm f2.8 Macro, m.Zuiko 17mm f1.8 , Lee Filters

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got to admit I've been very slack at either looking for voting recently. I've given my wrist a slap and will try to spend some more time voting. I'll also have to slap my wrist for not entering too many comps recently either. I have to admit, I did find the number of entries sometimes did put me off voting so maybe something like MM's suggestion might make it easier for some people to vote.

Ausphotography Regular bcys1961's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    Is there a way we can encourage more people to vote? What about a points system whereby the more you participate in things like voting and other community based assistance that you gain points and then at the end of the month/year the top 5 (?) scorers are awarded some sort of acknowledgement? Just a thought.
    I suggested a points system last year (e.g. 1 point for entering , 5 pts if you make top 4 and 10 pts if you win or something similar) but I think it would be too much of a P.I.T.A to administer.

Ausphotography irregular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    I think you would have a higher success rate if you changed the way people voted. I.e. ask people to select 3 entries they believe should go through. That way, all they have to do is select 3 entries.
    And how many times do you have to go up and down to select them three entries?
    You have to look at each photo so why not vote a # as you look?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast