Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Cheap Lee Filter alternatives online

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheap Lee Filter alternatives online

About 2 years ago I invested in a Lee filter system - great system although I don't use it much, when I do I love the chance to use both grads and ND filters to slow down the shutter speed.

Recently I have changed a couple of lenses and I have been looking at purchasing another Lee adaptor to mount the Lee filter holder on to the lens. I have also been looking around to find a cheap way of experimenting with rear ND filters for a lens I have that requires that filter type.

Although I have always appreciated the quality of Lee engineering, in the end it is really only a step up / step down ring and I have trouble paying $109 in Australia for a piece of aluminum.

I am sure every body would have heard of the biggest online shopping store in the world - Alibaba, but did you realise they actually deliver to Australia free of charge.

For those interested here is the address http://www.aliexpress.com/all-wholesale-products.html

I picked up 3 adaptor rings for $37 delivered to Singapore (same price delivered to Australia), a ND 16 (4 stop) 100 x 100 filter for $18 delivered and finally a set of step up / step down rings (more than 10 rings in the set) for $13. Now this may all be crud, but I have bought gear made in China before and in the end I have been happy with it. In reality probably 80% of the consumer goods in the world are made in one part or another of Asia. Anyway thought it was worth the risk of spending $67 and hopefully saving myself over $500 if I had bought similar goods form a brand name in Australia.

Even if i have to replace it every year for the next five years I will still be ahead.

Kel
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi...
    Thanks for the info.. I recently looked at something I wanted and available from BH who post to Aus
    But, free freight sounds good to me if they have similar products
    Canon EOS 7D Mk II, Canon 70D, Canon G12, Canon EF-S 15-85mm, EF 70-200 L f4 IS, 580EX II

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a bit of an update of the above products I ordered via Aliexpress last month.

The non genuine Lee adaptors turned up. I compared them to the original and cannot tell the difference. In fact I gave them to my wife and asked her to pick the original, eventually she did because the Lee adaptor is shiny black and the non genuine are a matt black. Quality wise I would say they are exactly the same. The mind boggles how you pay $109 in Australia and $13 imported from China for exactly the same item.

The 4 stop ND filter seems good quality although I have not tested it. I primarily bought this to cut down to make rear ND filters for my wide angle lens, so I will give you an update when I try them out over the weekend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian500au View Post
    Just a bit of an update of the above products I ordered via Aliexpress last month.

The non genuine Lee adaptors turned up. I compared them to the original and cannot tell the difference. In fact I gave them to my wife and asked her to pick the original, eventually she did because the Lee adaptor is shiny black and the non genuine are a matt black. Quality wise I would say they are exactly the same. The mind boggles how you pay $109 in Australia and $13 imported from China for exactly the same item.

The 4 stop ND filter seems good quality although I have not tested it. I primarily bought this to cut down to make rear ND filters for my wide angle lens, so I will give you an update when I try them out over the weekend.
    Thanks for the heads up Brian500au. I have been considering a Lee filter for a while but these might just do the job I need at a much cheaper price. Thanks again!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use a Cokin adaptor, rings etc and Lee filters. the Cokin Z-Pro system is 100mm and and any brand filters that are 100mm are fine in it.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography