Thread: Which Camera

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which Camera

Hi Guys,
    I am just after your thoughts on which camera would be the best choice for my granddaughter to upgrade to from her old P & S. She is a keen photographer and is wanting to upgrade to an interchangeable lens camera for under $1K, she is doing year 12 this year at school and is hoping to take a gap year next year and do some backpacking/travelling around England and Europe so I thinking it needs to be compact and robust. I have been googling and have narrowed it down to 3 .... Nikon 3300, Olympus OM-DEM10 2, and the Sony A6000. I would appreciate your thoughts on these cameras or any others you think would be a better choice.
    Cheers Gayle & Colin

Give Life your Best Shot.
    http://flickr.com/photos/2blooms/

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi G and C.
    A couple of months ago I was on a similar quest.
    The answers here might still be
    relevant.

Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gidday G&C

A vote for the Olympus E-M10 II with the 14-42 EZ pancake zoom. This lens is better than the reviews suggest, while not likely to replace my FTs 14-54 MkII anytime soon. I have most of these lenses, and use them. The lens is only 22 mm thick when the camera is off and weighs 93 grams. Like a P&S, it deploys automatically when the camera is turned on. It turns my E-M1 into a large P&S, but still pocketable (coat pocket).

The E-M10 II has similar IQ to the E-M1 (different 16 MPx sensor).

I mostly use my E-M1 + 14-42 EZ for photography at social events where a bigger camera/lens would be inappropriate and obtrusive. I can upload some photos taken with this combo later today if you are interested.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    Gidday G&C

A vote for the Olympus E-M10 II with the 14-42 EZ pancake zoom. This lens is better than the reviews suggest, while not likely to replace my FTs 14-54 MkII anytime soon. I have most of these lenses, and use them. The lens is only 22 mm thick when the camera is off and weighs 93 grams. Like a P&S, it deploys automatically when the camera is turned on. It turns my E-M1 into a large P&S, but still pocketable (coat pocket).

The E-M10 II has similar IQ to the E-M1 (different 16 MPx sensor).

I mostly use my E-M1 + 14-42 EZ for photography at social events where a bigger camera/lens would be inappropriate and obtrusive. I can upload some photos taken with this combo later today if you are interested.
    Thanks John I have been leaning towards the Olympus as my sister in law has one... she bought about 2years ago and I have been impressed with its capabilities.. the only downside is that a lot of the settings seemed to be menu driven and not easy to negotiate.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once you have done the initial setup, all shooting parameters are available via the Super Control Panel (SCP) on the camera display. These settings can be selected and changed from the SCP without ever going near the menus. Also, almost every button and dial on the camera can be customised to do other things.

I have never understood why most cameras don't have something like the SCP. I would never buy a camera without it!

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An even smaller combo would be a body such as the Pansonic GF/GM series

The GM-1 is almost microscopic in terms of size, and the GF's aren't too far off.

While other cameras with interchangeable lenses claim to be 'pocketable' the size of the pockets use surely must be questionable!

Those Pansonics tho are actually pocketable in the true sense of the word.

So as a tiny portable easy to carry option, a set up such as a GM-1 with the 15mm f/1.7($800ish) and get this compact Oly 14-42 Ex zoom(at about $300) and you're not far off the $1K mark, you get a prime lens as an option too, all the individual pieces are easily pocketable so you don't really need anything special to carry them in either(just a pocket).

There's nothing like having 'lens variety' for those times when you want to be more creative

- - - Updated - - -

Of the three you've listed tho, I'd say go for the Nikon D5500(ie. not the D3300). It is a bit smaller, and has a few features that aren't so obvious with a casual handling at a store .. as well as the obvious added features too.
    It does cost a wee bit more than the D3300 too tho.
    But mounted to an AF-P 18-55VR lens, it's quite a small setup and easily carried on a backpacking trip.
    The sensor in the D5500 is about as good as you'll get in this price range.

D5500 with the 18-55 should come in at about $800, which leaves just enough room for a 35/1.8 lens to add some versatility too.
    But if you do look for such a kit, be sure that the 18-55 lens is the AF-P version with VR or the AF-S lens with VRII.
    I don't think the earliest AF-S VR version is as good, but it's larger with no additional benefit.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Does your granddaughter have any friends with interchangeable lens cameras? If so check out what they are and what lenses they have, she then buys different lens and they can all share. (just a random thought.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just done this exercise at Christmas time.

I ended up with a Nikon D5500.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ing-first-DSLR
    My 12 13 year old Daughter may be able to do everything via touch screen on the D5500, but at least there is still a button to press to take the photo, so I feel confident...