Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3rd party LP-E6N batteries

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3rd party LP-E6N batteries

Hi folks,
    So I've purchased a 7Dmkii , BG-E16 grip , and awaiting a 17-40 f4 USM lens. [The 100-400 mk ii will have to wait till I save a bit more...]

Question: Are 3rd party batteries ok to use? The Canon LP-E16N batteries are around $90 , the LP-E16 are $60 , and I've seen 3rd party batteries for $20-$25ea.

Does anyone else use these batteries for their camera or grip?

I've also noticed some have a higher mAh than the factory Canon batteries. Is this a good thing or no?

Barney.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm! [smoke signals... radio waves...]

Some mixed messages come to mind, Barney. Best do some research on the types you find. Read reviews.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From experience ----

Some, note the emphasis on some, camera bodies may rely on a chip installed in the battery to operate properly.

With 2 brands of camera bodies here ( 7 in total ) the third party batteries that we have purchased from reputable suppliers work just as well as the OEM products at a very significant price saving.

Having a higher mAh rating is not a bad thing. Whether it actually matches the claims or not is the question. If you end up with similar performance to the original you haven't lost out.

Check the prices from a supplier we have used in the past --------- http://www.betterbatt.com.au/s/digit...os/7d-mark-ii/
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used 3rd party batteries as the 2nd battery for my 20D and 40D No problems at all, not as good performance though the 40D one still going strong many years later
    My 7D MK11 has 2 Canon Batteries one was a freebie a Canon Promotion, I can use my 5D MK11 batteries in the 7D MK11 camera.
    So sorry I cannot help you there.

Another thing to research for your 7D MK11 3rd party Battery is if it's compatible with the Canon charger

When looking to buy a 2nd and 3rd battery for my Olympus E-M1 I read lots of reviews about the 3rd party batteries that they would not charge in the Olympus Battery Charger, so I bought Genuine.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies folks.

Ameerat42 : I did do some research before asking the question here. Lest I asked a silly question. I found the 'research' indicated roughly equal pro/con reviews regarding 3rd party batteries. I asked the question here finally because I trust any answers I get here a lot more.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought as much. If cheap enough, try one. If it works...

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gidday Barney

All good advice, thusly far.

Edited, please take note of forum rules.

The thing to watch with Li-Ion batteries is 1) getting hot while charging (they shouldn't - use your genuine battery/charger as a guide); and 2) swelling. If either occurs, dispose of the battery. Either/both can indicate that the battery is failing. When a Li-Ion battery fails, it can reach temperatures of 700-800 C within seconds. They are therefore potentially very dangerous to life and limb, and can burn your house down!

I always charge Li-Ion batteries where I can see them. Check them periodically when charging. don't leave them completely unattended while charging. Protect their terminals from shorting while stored, specially if in my pocket!
    Last edited by I @ M; 13-02-2016 at 11:20am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2 spares for my 600D are 3rd party batteries. Got 2 for less than the price of one genuine. Having said that I'm certainly not expecting the same life out of them as I do from my Canon battery.

Although I don't have any experience with the LP-E6 batteries I would imagine that the third parties would have to be of a decent standard considering the popularity of the 5D3. As AM said, try it and if it works then bob's your uncle...

Cheers,

S.
    Last edited by spootz01; 15-02-2016 at 10:32am. Reason: Correction
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Current Gear:
    Canon 600D | Sigma 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 | Canon 50mm f1.8 II | Tamron 150-600m f5-6.3 | Manfrotto 680B Monopod
    All kept in: Lowepro Protactic 350AW

The GAS never ends.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post

When looking to buy a 2nd and 3rd battery for my Olympus E-M1 I read lots of reviews about the 3rd party batteries that they would not charge in the Olympus Battery Charger, so I bought Genuine.
    I bought 3rd party batteries for the Olympus OMD and it came with a charger that will charge both the 3rd Party and the OEM batteries. I don't notice any difference in performance but do notice the big price difference!
    The name is Brad ......

OMD EM-1, OMD EM-5MkII, m.Zuiko 12-40mm Pro f2.8, m.Zuiko 40-150mm f2.8 Pro , m.Zuiko 60mm f2.8 Macro, m.Zuiko 17mm f1.8 , Lee Filters

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcys1961 View Post
    I bought 3rd party batteries for the Olympus OMD and it came with a charger that will charge both the 3rd Party and the OEM batteries.
    Brad what I dont need is another charger, good to know you can charge the Olympus battery in the 3rd party charger.
    Though would like to know if the 3rd party batteries charged up ok in the charger that came in the box when you got your E-M1 and Thanks for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mary Ann,

No the 3rd party batteries will not charge on the Olymp'us charger , so that's why they supply a new charger that will charge both the OEM and 3rd Party. Then I just put my Olympus Charger away in the cupboard somewhere and have not used it since . I still only effectively have one charger as the OEM Olympus charger is now redundant.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats good to know if I need more batteries in the future Thanks Again Brad.

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only ever bought 3rd party batteries, and have so far never had a problem with them. I can't tell the difference peformance wise between these and my original genuine Canon battery. All of them are still going and my 50D has been hanging around here for many years. The panasonic ones are another 5 years before then. I think it is true to take the stated mAh with a grain or two of salt

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your feedback everyone

I ended up getting 2 x genuine batteries as I got scaredy of hurting my new toy

Still waiting for SD/CF cards to arrive [one of the downsides to living out bush..] and forgot to order them when I bought the camera.
    Rookie error!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought both Canon batteries and 3rd party. I have found the no name not as reliable does not charge properly, and I "feel" they run out of juice much sooner. The camera battery indicator indicates not fully charged. I have a battery grip handle. I still use the no names but am careful to have by Canon battery fully charged before going out. Some may be "just as good" as Canon - its really hard to tell when buying something on line.
    Berni

""The most important piece of camera equipment you will ever own sits between your ears...."

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bercy View Post
    I bought both Canon batteries and 3rd party. I have found the no name not as reliable does not charge properly, and I "feel" they run out of juice much sooner. The camera battery indicator indicates not fully charged. I have a battery grip handle. I still use the no names but am careful to have by Canon battery fully charged before going out. Some may be "just as good" as Canon - its really hard to tell when buying something on line.
    That's been my experience too.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have run both Genuine and 3rd party batteries for both my 400d, 1 Genuine and 3 3rd party for around 75,000 actuations since 2007 with the only problem being a slight falling off of the genuine and my 7D around 150,000 actuations with no problems at all apart from 2 unchiped ones that cannot be charged in the genuine charger. The other 1 genuine and 2 3rd party batteries are ok in the genuine charger although as the 3rd party chargers are so cheap and come with a lighter plug and lead and I have 4 I have put the genuine one away. as far as life goes the genuine 7D one is 1800mah 2 of the 3rd party are 2200 and the other 2 are 1400 I can not pick any difference between them as there are so many variables with power use of different lenses, shooting modes and flash usage this would be almost impossible to gauge. Both cameras are fitted with 3rd party battery grips. The 400D only fails while showing good charge on the indicator when using is and os on the so equipped lenses when the genuine battery is being used, turn off is and I can continue shooting for a while.
    Cheers
    Keith.
    Last edited by Speedway; 28-04-2016 at 1:00am.
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack. NEW:- Panasonic GX8, 45-150, 14mm F2.5. PSE 2018.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here (3rd party = Watson Battery from BHP) for use with Canon 70D. I have also, twice, had an error message (can't recall the details) when I inserted a new fully charged Watson into the 70D; but, switching off the camera and immediately switching it back on resulted in the message disappearing and the camera working perfectly. I always carry a Canon battery 'just in case'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These days most 3rd party batteries are OK. Specifically in relation to the 7D Mark II and the LP-E6N vs LP-E6 they are physically the same dimensions, but the N version has a slightly higher capacity in mAh.

I have a 5D Mark III and a 7D Mark II and can use LP-E6 and LP-E6N batteries both Canon and 3rd party with no differences noted in either charge or discharge cycles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Than ks for this tread. It has helped me decide to try 3rd party batteries from quality outlets

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast