Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Going portable

Former Username : Wetpixels
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going portable

With a lot of time away camping and travelling this year, I have invested in a new laptop computer. There is a bit of discounting going on and an ASUS F555UJ that normally sells for up to $1000 was going for under $700, so I thought that'd do me. Of course it comes with Windows 10, and I have been spending some time setting it up the way I want. Something different for me, having been using a linux desktop for many years.

I have installed Canon DPP, and Gimp, as well as the free Photoshop CS2. This basic software has got me to the point where I can edit and post (when I can get internet access) the many photos that I will be taking while on the road.

Now to decide what else I need
    80D, 600D, EFS 60mm Macro, Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Lens - Contemporary, Sigma 18-250mm 1:3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II lens, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II lens, Yongnuo YN500EX flash, Velbon Sherpa 5370D tripod, PH-157Q head, Klika W1003 monopod, AF Macro Extension tubes, LED Ringflash Software: Darktable, Gimp, DigiKam

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wetpixels View Post
    With a lot of time away camping and travelling this year, I have invested in a new laptop computer. ASUS F555UJ [1Tb HDD] . . . installed Canon DPP, and Gimp. . . .Photoshop CS2. . . I can edit and post (when I can get internet access) the many photos that I will be taking while on the road. . . .Now to decide what else I need
    I have been using the ASUS notebook series for a few years now, for the purposes of: image storage; image preview; image sorting; and preliminary Post Production, whilst I am on site and/or traveling.

I have kept at a 10~11" screen size for weight and size and 'fitability' into my camera bag. Good battery-life/cycle time I have noticed witn ASUS.

1Tb is a truckload of storage capacity. I like to have backup for all the raw files until I get back home. I used to carry a USB connected stand alone HDD: but now I opt for USB Flash Drives - 128Gb are about $60.00 when "on special".

My other answer to "what else do I need for camping and traveling" is a Screen Shade for the laptop - makes working and especially Image Post Production just so much easier in any environment.

WW

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    I have been using the ASUS notebook series for a few years now, for the purposes of: image storage; image preview; image sorting; and preliminary Post Production, whilst I am on site and/or traveling.

I have kept at a 10~11" screen size for weight and size and 'fitability' into my camera bag. Good battery-life/cycle time I have noticed witn ASUS.

1Tb is a truckload of storage capacity. I like to have backup for all the raw files until I get back home. I used to carry a USB connected stand alone HDD: but now I opt for USB Flash Drives - 128Gb are about $60.00 when "on special".

My other answer to "what else do I need for camping and traveling" is a Screen Shade for the laptop - makes working and especially Image Post Production just so much easier in any environment.

WW

Good idea. Light around the average campsite is likely to make the screen hard to view.

As for backup of images, I figure the camera and the laptop both have sdcard slots, so why not just buy more of them as I fill up the ones I already have.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea. Light around the average campsite is likely to make the screen hard to view.
    I find eyestrain because of reflections and bright and or flickering lights is the most bothersome - maybe too many working hours in a darkroom and low ambient light studios and theatres, etc.

As for backup of images, I figure the camera and the laptop both have sdcard slots, so why not just buy more of them as I fill up the ones I already have.
    If that suits your gear then that's a good idea.

My main point was to suggest that you make an additional copy of the raw file (at least the raw file - I sometimes back-up the JPEGs too as I capture raw + JPEG(L))

I also was suggesting that those back up copies are kept and carried in another place to the storage on the laptop.

I have cameras with various storage media, so I find it easier each evening to transfer the day's contents to the Laptop's HDD and then make a backup to USB Flash Drive - one for each camera I use. Additionally, even though my Notebook has an SD slot, I use very fast cards for my Cameras which use SD cards - and I am not keen to buy more - the USB Flash drives are a cheaper solution for me - even if it means an additional copying time - I don't mind that task as it is set and forget process at wine o'clock each evening.

I think if you are just carrying one camera (or more cameras, but all with SD Cards) and you are not concerned about the speed of the card or paying the money for very fast cards: then just buy more SD Cards and copy each card to the Laptop HDD as each SD Card gets close to full and then use a new SD Card - that's seems logical to me. I think it also probably depends how many shots you typically make each day and how long you expect to be away - traveling by car through France and Italy - eight weeks in 2014 - I pulled about 8000 shots with one camera and another 3000 with second camera: I was generally capturing to 32Gb Cards in Camera, I wouldn't really want a truckload of fast SD Cards and CF Cards to use as my backup storage media; on the other hand USB Flash drives have more versatile uses when I am back home or for my general office and business use.

BTW In case you do not know - it is generally thought that not a good idea to fill any card - I pull mine out of the camera with around 20 shots to go.

WW

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point about the extra cost of fast cards. Maybe I'll get some cheap usb storage too. In 2 months in the UK, I only took about half what you did, but this time, I am going outback in Australia, and taking shots of birds, scenery etc, may mean I take more this time.

As for filling the cards, generally I don't, but sometimes, in my enthusiasm, I forget and eventually the camera complains it is full. Hasn't caused a problem yet... but why risk it I suppose.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are quite a few storage/back-up options: no one will fit all players. Just take your time and cost the options and choose which best suit you.

One of the reasons why I took so many shots, in Italy especially, was because I made Exposure Brackets of Interior Architecture.

Have fun. Safe travels.

WW